Matt Ryan beyond the numbers

Summerhill

If you were to just look at Matt Ryan's box score, you would think he had a great game. He threw for a lot of yards at a high completion rate and for a high YPA. But if you watched the game, Ryan's stats were completely built on two plays.

One was a play where Buccaneers cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III bit badly on a screen pass fake and left Mohamed Sanu unbelieavly wide open for a 59-yard gain. The second play was a swing pass to Tevin Coleman in which Ryan threw behind Coleman's head but Coleman made an unbelievable catch and was somehow still able to keep his momentum going and run for 47 yards. It could have easily been an incompletion. 

If you take away those two plays, Ryan only threw for 228 yards on 37 passes, for a pathetic 6.16 YPA. 

And, yes, I know all QB's get helped out by great catches and blown coverages, but Ryan's good plays on his own were very, very few and far between in this game. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

I don't see why people don't see Ryan is hurting us far more than he is helping now. Now I thought Ryan had a decent game yesterday, but he still continues to look confused and continues to throw behind the receivers and very late on getting the ball out. Honestly it sucks seeing the QB's in our division airing  the ball out (Brees, Newton, Winston) while we play a underneath passing game that is killing us. Although it wasn't the only reason they won, Tampa won because they played over the top. Winston was launching the ball. I hope Ryan rights his ship, but its time to get a replacement for the future. 

For some around here to see that Ryan is a big part of our problem, he would literally have to hand the ball off to the defense. Even then I am not so sure. JMHO

Ryan is not the problem. its lack of defense it what is hurting the team. 

Ok, I have had it with so many placing blame on Ryan for the bad throws and not being able to bring back this sad team to a victory. 

I saw the game yes Ryan could have played better. But to put this on him is just plain stupid!!!! The defense should have just stayed home. Hang on after thinking about it they did not show up to this game.

As well all know or should know when you make a team one dimensional it will not be an easy task to play. Sure Matt was off on some throws but go back and look he did great just getting the ball off. I remember seeing some camera views where Ryan was trowing to a spot no to the WR. Because he could not see the WR with the firiggn line pushed back in his face.

I don't see why people don't see Ryan is hurting us far more than he is helping now. Now I thought Ryan had a decent game yesterday, but he still continues to look confused and continues to throw behind the receivers and very late on getting the ball out. Honestly it sucks seeing the QB's in our division airing  the ball out (Brees, Newton, Winston) while we play a underneath passing game that is killing us. Although it wasn't the only reason they won, Tampa won because they played over the top. Winston was launching the ball. I hope Ryan rights his ship, but its time to get a replacement for the future. 

For some around here to see that Ryan is a big part of our problem, he would literally have to hand the ball off to the defense. Even then I am not so sure. JMHO

66% completion folks...throwing behind receives at times happens to all QB's.  I saw it plenty watching NFL Sunday Ticket.  A few, very few, passing thrown behind receives is no big deal...well unless the rest of the team is lacking and it makes those passes appear to be a bigger problem than they really were, I could see why people are bashing Matt...but ya'll are way off the mark.  You cannot argue a 66% completion and 300+ yards and 2 TD's and then turn around and say the QB sucks and its time to move on.  Give me a break. 

Edited by nomak

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyBirdAttack said:

Ryan is not the problem. its lack of defense it what is hurting the team. 

It is not my intention to blame one player or another for losing yesterday. I would still feel the same way about Ryan's performance if winston threw 3 pick-6's and the Falcons won by 14 points. 

Our defense couldn't stop Tampa in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That is what lost us this game. Also I know we need to establish the run, but Jameis had thrown the ball TWICE AS MUCH as Ryan after the first half. I blame stubborn playcalling (run up the middle, run up the middle, delayed hand off), our offense was stale until Ryan was allowed to throw the dang ball. Offensive line failed us, our defense failed us, Ryan was one of the bright spots from yesterday even with the few balls thrown behind receivers.

Edited by dguitarman2425

3 minutes ago, dguitarman2425 said:

Our defense couldn't stop Tampa in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That is what lost us this game. Also I know we need to establish the run, but Jameis had thrown the ball TWICE AS MUCH as Ryan after the first half. I blame stubborn playcalling (run up the middle, run up the middle, run up the middle), our offense was stale until Ryan was allowed to throw the dang ball. Offensive line failed us, our defense failed us, Ryan was one of the bright spots from yesterday even with the few balls thrown behind receivers.

And the toss sweep on 3 and 5 in the redzone...brilliant play call there from Shanny, just brilliant! 

1 minute ago, Jpowers said:

Our run game beyond the numbers: It sucked

Our defense beyond the numbers: It sucked

Our discipline beyond the numbers: It sucked

Actually, you can include the numbers if you want. Why are we talking about the one serviceable part of our game yesterday?

Because we really need Schaub in the game..."rolleyes"

37 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

If you were to just look at Matt Ryan's box score, you would think he had a great game. He threw for a lot of yards at a high completion rate and for a high YPA. But if you watched the game, Ryan's stats were completely built on two plays.

One was a play where Buccaneers cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III bit badly on a screen pass fake and left Mohamed Sanu unbelieavly wide open for a 59-yard gain. The second play was a swing pass to Tevin Coleman in which Ryan threw behind Coleman's head but Coleman made an unbelievable catch and was somehow still able to keep his momentum going and run for 47 yards. It could have easily been an incompletion. 

If you take away those two plays, Ryan only threw for 228 yards on 37 passes, for a pathetic 6.16 YPA. 

And, yes, I know all QB's get helped out by great catches and blown coverages, but Ryan's good plays on his own were very, very few and far between in this game. 

Go watch every NFL game yesterday, literally EVERY QB has **** like that happen all the time 

Edited by JD dirtybird21

21 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

We didn't even commit a turnover. Ryan was fine. Dropped passes AND completed passes are always going to be a mix of the QBs fault and the receivers fault. That's why dissecting every Ryan throw from yesterday is stupid. I saw zero plays yesterday that HURT the Falcons where I said to myself "Ryan ****** up bad right there" I did however say that about Jake Matthews and a few other offensive players. Also, the defenses 3rd down penalties were absolutely what sucked the life out of our team. 

As for your comment about throwing deep, Winston played well, but like Ryan according to some of you, he got bailed out by his receivers at the right time. Both the Evans and Jenkins TDs were spectacular catches 

35 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

I agree with almost every post you make PA. Some would call us "haters". It's not about that. It's about comparing our QB play with what we are currently up against in the division. This isn't 2008. It isn't 2012 either. Things change. The league moves A LOT faster than people think it does and windows for championships open and close very quickly. Frankly, I think if our window with Ryan isn't already done, it'll take at least a crowbar to pry it open.

To state again: Tampa played OVER THE TOP. We played UNDERNEATH. Neither team could run the ball. Turnovers were almost equal. The deep ball was THE difference in the game.

I have watched this team succeed and (mostly) fail for 50 years. There is nothing I would like more than for our defense to suddenly become ferocious, Ryan to prove me wrong, and us make a run this year. There were all these PR articles about Ryan's off-season workout and improving his core rotational/arm strength this year. Supposedly he worked with the same group Brady worked with. Julio says he can tell the difference.

So if that's the case, LETS F'ING SEE IT. I'm ready. PROVE ME WRONG FALCONS!!!!!!!!

Other that that, I'm ready to tank for Deshawn, or Chad Kelly, or someone who can maximize Julio's (possibly few) remaining years.

Edited by since68andcounting

8 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

Of all the disappointing performances and penalties,  why is it that people are focusing on Ryan? 

Legit question.  

2 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Our run game beyond the numbers: It sucked

Our defense beyond the numbers: It sucked

Our discipline beyond the numbers: It sucked

Actually, you can include the numbers if you want. Why are we talking about the one serviceable part of our game yesterday?

Legit question again.

I really don't think it matters much anymore how Ryan plays.  There is an agenda that must be upheld. 

Many are ignoring the reasons for the loss and nitpicking Ryan who did his job.  If we cannot be fair or honest on this board, good posters will stop coming here.

What I see is that in this game Ryan improved himself over last year.  He's doing his best in a scheme that he's not comfortable with. And yet the theme here is to over analyze all the things he could have done better rather than focus on the reasons why we lost.

MR threw the ball behind a few guys....no chit... Lets concentrate on that and turn it into the big story line.  

24 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

Honestly it sucks seeing the QB's in our division airing  the ball out (Brees, Newton, Winston) while we play a underneath passing game that is killing us. Although it wasn't the only reason they won, Tampa won because they played over the top. Winston was launching the ball. 

The problem with your argument is that Winston was MUCH less accurate yesterday than Ryan. Go back and rewatch the first half - Jameis overthrew open WRs on multiple plays, at least one of which was a TD.

When Ryan throws a pass behind a WR and they still make the catch, it's proof how "bad" he is. Winston misses WRs and no one notices. 

I do agree that Atlanta needs to throw over the top more often. And I posted last night that Ryan too often throws short of the sticks, forcing the receiver to get YAC to get the 1st down. But too many people on here rip him about things that every QB they cite as better is also doing.

The Bucs didn't win yesterday because they have a better QB. They won because the Falcons D was worse than the Bucs D.

Matt Ryan gets about as much a  fair shake from some fans as Hilary Clinton on Fox News and Donald Trump on CNN/MSNBC.

People are getting out of hand, we play in the west coast now its a dink and dunk offense by design with receivers expected to pick up yac, yesterday was a solid day for our passing game, the rest of the major components of our football team, the run game, the defense didn't come to play period. Ryan struggled last year and earn some criticism this offseason, but sunday's game he played better than he has played in while. People mention using Play Action to get the ball deep, did you not see our run game yesterday? You think that defense would fear the run game,?

World would be better off, if people who knew they couldn't be objective on topics realized it and would just stay quite and discuss subjects that they can be objective about.

36 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

This offense will never be effective with the deep ball when we can't be effective with play action. Our run game didn't have to be respected yesterday, at all really. with Julio disappearing for stretches and not getting Robinson or anybody else that can get behind the defense on the field, it's dam near impossible to do what those other guys were doing this week.