Champions are not determined in the first week of the season folks.

Macintez

This team has a lot of work to do, especially on defense. The speed, athleticism, and physicality is there. The experience and football IQ is not. Although, I do believe Campbell and Jones will be a top LB tandem for years to come.

Other side notes...

Our secondary needs work, but I have to give Winston credit to his two dime TD passes. Not too much defense for the perfect throw.

Passing offense looked nice; However the run game looked terrible. I don't know whether to blame the offensive line or give credit to Tampa's... McCoy, David and Alexander ruined us. That run defense is the real deal. Their DB's won't stop anything but with a run defense like that it will force teams to be off-balance. 

Penalties killed us this game. We out penaltied the most penalized team in the NFL last year. 70% of the reason we lost this game is because of penalties. Must work on playing with more discipline. 

Missed tackles in the second-half. Goodness gracious. Sims III made 2 defenders hug and kiss each on that catch and go TD. It also seemed like Doug Martin was getting 5 yards on every carry due to so many defenders going for the strip. I know Quinn wants to force a lot of turnovers but let's not do it to the point where we are missing easy tackles. Doug Martin was not fumbling that ball, dude was carrying defenders with one arm.

All in all, we lost the game. But, we can't give up on the season after one game. I could give a **** about how we start. Let's wait 6 or 7 weeks to see where this team REALLY is before we start pointing fingers.

Edited by Macintez

I'd just like to see both sides of the football play well at the same time for a change.  Last season the defense couldn't hold to few enough points to overcome the lack of scoring.  Today, the offense scored 24 (aided by 1 turnover, to be fair), and the defense looked like the 2010 team going against the Packers in the playoffs until the very end of the game, when it was already too late.

The reality is, this team has a whole lot of work to do in order to be a consistent winner.  We're keeping fingers crossed way too much.

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'd just like to see both sides of the football play well at the same time for a change.  Last season the defense couldn't hold to few enough points to overcome the lack of scoring.  Today, the offense scored 24 (aided by 1 turnover, to be fair), and the defense looked like the 2010 team going against the Packers in the playoffs until the very end of the game, when it was already too late.

The reality is, this team has a whole lot of work to do in order to be a consistent winner.  We're keeping fingers crossed way too much.

While I see talent on the defense I see too much chaos... Our DB's struggled today, to the point where I'm looking forward to Jalen Collins coming back. We struggled with the size/speed combination of Evans in my mind. I see why Quinn values size in his DB's so much.

5 minutes ago, Macintez said:

While I see talent on the defense I see too much chaos... Our DB's struggled today, to the point where I'm looking forward to Jalen Collins coming back. We struggled with the size/speed combination of Evans in my mind. I see why Quinn values size in his DB's so much.

I said the same thing after the game -- I hope Collins is ready, because we need him badly.

Of course, Alford being dumb enough to get sucked into pointing a finger at him ("unnecessary roughness," LOL) didn't help at all.  The team needs to play more disciplined, especially on defense.

Also, Jake Matthews looked horrible today.

29 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I feel like we,  or at least I,  say this every year.

51 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I said the same thing after the game -- I hope Collins is ready, because we need him badly.

Of course, Alford being dumb enough to get sucked into pointing a finger at him ("unnecessary roughness," LOL) didn't help at all.  The team needs to play more disciplined, especially on defense.

Also, Jake Matthews looked horrible today.

Yeah, Jake had multiple penalties. He only looked good after the ball was snapped. 

So I think people are more upset that we couldn't beat a team that is average at best. I get that it's a division game and all but if we can't beat the Bucs on opening day in our own stadium, then how well will we fare against really good teams on the road? Just looking at it from a practical standpoint. But any given Sunday.

Hate to disagree with the OP, but in this case the opener showed that we haven't fixed many of the issues we had last year (tackling, pass rush, red zone scoring).

Yes, Winston's two TDs were beautiful throw/catch, but the lack of a pass rush certainly helped make that possible.  Any QB can look all-world if he has all the time he wants to survey the field and step into throws.

13 hours ago, Macintez said:

This team has a lot of work to do, especially on defense. The speed, athleticism, and physicality is there. The experience and football IQ is not. Although, I do believe Campbell and Jones will be a top LB tandem for years to come.

Other side notes...

Our secondary needs work, but I have to give Winston credit to his two dime TD passes. Not too much defense for the perfect throw.

Passing offense looked nice; However the run game looked terrible. I don't know whether to blame the offensive line or give credit to Tampa's... McCoy, David and Alexander ruined us. That run defense is the real deal. Their DB's won't stop anything but with a run defense like that it will force teams to be off-balance. 

Penalties killed us this game. We out penaltied the most penalized team in the NFL last year. 70% of the reason we lost this game is because of penalties. Must work on playing with more discipline. 

Missed tackles in the second-half. Goodness gracious. Sims III made 2 defenders hug and kiss each on that catch and go TD. It also seemed like Doug Martin was getting 5 yards on every carry due to so many defenders going for the strip. I know Quinn wants to force a lot of turnovers but let's not do it to the point where we are missing easy tackles. Doug Martin was not fumbling that ball, dude was carrying defenders with one arm.

All in all, we lost the game. But, we can't give up on the season after one game. I could give a **** about how we start. Let's wait 6 or 7 weeks to see where this team REALLY is before we start pointing fingers.

Championships are also not made in 50 years, apparently.

The only thing more dysfunctional than the Falcons organization is its delusional fan base that defends the team as if we were a expansion team created last season.

Yes it was Quinn's first season last year, but we've had people like TD and McKay in place for years and we are dealing with the same issues we have dealt with for years. Yes, yes... we will not give up on the season after one game and Rome was not built in a day blah blah blahbity blah blah blah... and when our record is 6-9 going into the last week of the season we will all rally around the promise of next year...again. Maybe we will even finally fire Shanahan, and that will reignite everyone's fires but of course we will have to give the new OC a couple of years....

51 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Championships are also not made in 50 years, apparently.

The only thing more dysfunctional than the Falcons organization is its delusional fan base that defends the team as if we were a expansion team created last season.

Yes it was Quinn's first season last year, but we've had people like TD and McKay in place for years and we are dealing with the same issues we have dealt with for years. Yes, yes... we will not give up on the season after one game and Rome was not built in a day blah blah blahbity blah blah blah... and when our record is 6-9 going into the last week of the season we will all rally around the promise of next year...again. Maybe we will even finally fire Shanahan, and that will reignite everyone's fires but of course we will have to give the new OC a couple of years....

I know you're tired of settling for mediocrity but I can see the improvement in this team in this loss. Everyone on the team does need to hold themselves accountable for this loss but I'm seeing some positives as well. I really like Campbell and Jones in this LB core seriously. These dudes can freaking ball. The IQ isn't there yet and they were exposed in the red zone but once they figure it out they can be two of the best LB's in the NFL. Sanu will be a good number 2 and the rest of the receiving core will contribute but they still need to work on the timing in the passing game. The run blocking seriously needs work tho. They got pushed around far too much for my liking. Could be the reason Kyle was doing so many screens.