Pass rush comes from group, not just one player

atljbo

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/pass-rush-comes-from-group-not-just-one-player/nsTbM/

Pass rush comes from group, not just one player

By JuliaKate E. Culpepper - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Posted: 12:00 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016

In the matchup between the Falcons’ defense and Tampa Bay quarterback Jameis Winston’s offense on Sunday, a productive pass rush is vital to managing the Buccaneers’ passing game.

To create a successful pass rush, coach Dan Quinn believes his defensive line must balance good execution with playing in sync.

“(Improving the pass rush) is a combination of a lot of things, where it wouldn’t be just in execution, (although) that’s sure part of it,” Quinn said. “Four guys working in concert to make sure you get the quarterback off the spot. We’ve added some new players, so that’s certainly a factor.”

Winston threw for 4,042 yards and 22 touchdowns in his rookie season. Winston’s legs were also a threat in 2015 as he ran for 213 rushing yards and six rushing touchdowns.

With the additions of Derrick Shelby, Courtney Upshaw and Dwight Freeney to the defense, linebacker Vic Beasley feels confident in the rebuilt pass rush.

“(Clemson) played against Jameis in college,” Beasley said. “He’s a talented quarterback. (You) definitely have to bring something with you when you’re coming to hit him. As a defensive front, we’re just going to try and get after him.”

An effective pass rush will help the Falcons’ secondary against tall and physical receivers Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. Freeney is confident in the Falcons’ ability to rush the passer.

“(Winston) is a guy who likes to throw the ball in the pocket,” he said. “(He’s) more of a pocket passer than most people would think for a young athlete back there, but he definitely likes to throw that rock.”

Freeney, one of the NFL’s top pass rushers with the Colts in the 2000s, had eight sacks in just 11 games with the Cardinals in 2015. He has 119.5 career sacks with the Colts, Chargers and Cardinals.

“For us, just collectively, getting after him, making sure everybody understands the game plan collectively,” Freeney said. “That’s all about four guys getting after the quarterback.”

A 14-year veteran of the NFL, Freeney’s experience is seen not only on the field, but in the time he invests in encouraging and investing in younger players.

He’s advised his teammates to not overwhelm themselves with all 16 games before the season opener, but to take the season one moment at a time.

“I think sometimes, you put too much on every week and you psych yourself out,” Freeney said. “You already put the work in from day to day. Trust in what the coaches put in from a technique and fundamental standpoint. That’s all you focus on. When you do that, you carry it to the game and you end up making plays. If you keep it small, but look at the big.”

Even Quinn sees what Freeney’s experience could mean to a young pass rusher like Beasley, the Falcons’ 2015 first-round pick. After being drafted eighth overall, Beasley finished his rookie season with four sacks, one interception and two forced fumbles.

“Dwight’s been a good addition, he really has in terms of the approach he can bring, and he can really take something to a different place,” Quinn said. “You’ll see in the locker room. You’ll see Dwight walking around with an iPad in his hand, watching game film as he’s bumping into people down the hallway. He goes to that level of detail to get himself ready. Of course that would rub off on a young guy like Vic, who’s still trying to learn new tricks, new techniques.”

Beasley spent his rookie season struggling with family issues as well as a nagging shoulder injury, but in the offseason, he benefited from Freeney’s experience.

Beasley said Freeney taught him effective pass rush strategies.

Beasley played sparingly in three exhibition games after being pulled from the Falcons’ first exhibition game against the Cleveland Browns with a shoulder injury.

Quinn has been impressed with Beasley’s week of practice and thinks he’s ready to play against the Buccaneers.

On Thursday, Beasley felt focused.

“I feel good,” he said. “I’m looking forward to this season, seeing what we can be as a team, so there’s definitely always those butterflies when you approach that first game.”

Vic Beasley will have 8+ sacks this year.. Mark it down

I mentioned this after the Panthers game. Because there was no pressure up the middle, Von Miller had a hard time getting to Cam. It looked very similar to Beasley. There was even one play where he tried to do a spin move and got tangled up with the RG in the same laughable manner Beasley does.

Looking forward to our D putting allot of pressure on JW and to contain him tomorrow.  He's a big fast full back outside the pocket so team assignments will be critical IMHO.   If we can also limit Doug Martin in the ground game there should be some ints for our safeties.  Beasley is only 1 of 11 on that side of the ball so it's just wrong to lay everything on his shoulders.  I've been critical in the past because it seems our 1st & 2nd round DL picks have under performed and it was just plain disappointing.  Tomorrow starts a new definition of Falcons D and I'm very optimistic.

GO FALCONS!!!

23 minutes ago, HouseofEuphoria said:

Then why do they call guys like Abe, Freeney, Ware, Clowney etc. "sack artists"?

Sooo tired of hearing this excuse every year as to why we don't have a pass rush.

You still can't be a sack artist without the group being in sync. If it was all about that one guy you'd load up on him with 3/4 guys and not worry about the group but most of the time it's because somebody did their job right that allowed the "sack artist" to do his job. Abe struggled when the group struggled. What has clowney done in the NFL to be placed in this group? And ware has always been on a team with a good group of rushers. 

14 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

From 10 to 8 to 6 to 4 to 2. I think we are seeing a trend in Beasley predicted sack total

I'd love to know how you can see into the future for those other three years you've got listed there.

For every person who came out last year and predicted 8-10 sacks there were two people talking about rookie pass rushers and their numbers. I think the most common prediction was somewhere around 6 last year and I've seen a lot of 7-8 sacks predictions this year so there's definitely a trend but not the one you were insinuating.

Fact of the matter is we really haven't seen our pass rushing set with Vic, Shelby, Jarrett/babs, and freeny all at one time. I think the pressure freeney brings off the left side will open up a lot of stuff for other guys especially with a guy like Jarett commanding a double team nearly every play like he did during pre season. 

Im hopeful to say the least. I want our birds to prosper in the backfield 

1 minute ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Fact of the matter is we really haven't seen our pass rushing set with Vic, Shelby, Jarrett/babs, and freeny all at one time. I think the pressure freeney brings off the left side will open up a lot of stuff for other guys especially with a guy like Jarett commanding a double team nearly every play like he did during pre season. 

Im hopeful to say the least. I want our birds to prosper in the backfield 

The package is Beasley,Freeney, Clayborn, and Shelby. That's what Quinn has been harping about. But I really think Clayborn is gonna be a problem this season. I think Freeney coming in will effect that. 

Just now, SkerFalcon8710 said:

I also think we will see Vic blitzing from everywhere when he plays LB. wether it be off freeney or reed/hags or blitzing the gaps. I think there is a lot we probably haven't seen that has been worked over and over on the practice field 

Freeney won't be in when Vic is at LB. That's base 4-3 under. Freeney will come out in nickel packages. 

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Freeney won't be in when Vic is at LB. That's base 4-3 under. Freeney will come out in nickel packages. 

Thanks for the corrections, I just think there will be more variations and blitzes than we all think. I don't believe every word that comes out of the coaches mouth. I get what you're saying and yes we've all heard it from coach this offseason. It goes hand in hand with people thinking that our offense is going to suck no matter what because we struggled In certain aspects of the preseason. 

11 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

The package is Beasley,Freeney, Clayborn, and Shelby. That's what Quinn has been harping about. But I really think Clayborn is gonna be a problem this season. I think Freeney coming in will effect that. 

This is what I've been waiting on seeing before writing the pass rush off. We never saw Freeney play in preseason. So anybody who thinks the pass rush sucks is going off a less than 100% rush. Put Freeney out there and suddenly Beasley isn't getting all of those chips and all that help or Freeney is ruining your LT. I also don't think Shelby was playing hard or interested in preseason. No way he looks that bad after being solidly above average in Miami. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

This is what I've been waiting on seeing before writing the pass rush off. We never saw Freeney play in preseason. So anybody who thinks the pass rush sucks is going off a less than 100% rush. Put Freeney out there and suddenly Beasley isn't getting all of those chips and all that help or Freeney is ruining your LT. I also don't think Shelby was playing hard or interested in preseason. No way he looks that bad after being solidly above average in Miami. 

Yea I felt the same way. We saw a rush attack that was probably at 50%. We never saw the full rush package in pre season. Freeney will def take pressure off Beasley and also Clayborn. Linemen will have to make a choice on Freeney or Clayborn.  

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Yeah I have to hope we see more out of Shelby in the regular season. I heard coaches and players single him out as someone who was going to break out this year and as someone who had stood out in camp.

It's unfortunate that Clayborn has to move back to DT for probably half of his nickel snaps cause of Freeney on the edge, we saw how much more effective he was on the outside. Even still, Clay looked better rushing the passer than Babs from inside last year. Hopefully he and Shelby can bring pressure up the middle. If Shelby just wasn't trying in preseason then I will feel so much better, because if he's the guy from Miami then we're set enough in the middle, and I know our edge guys will do work