Shanahan to call plays from coaches' box

Top Flight

15 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

The over analyzing of everything here is amazing. Calling plays from the box or sideline, he's still calling the plays. This won't help or hurt.

I disagree slightly.  I think it can and will help.  He sees the entire field from the press box, uncluttered.  That means he sees things the players and coaches on the field can't see regarding alignment, etc.

I like it.  I've always thought the coordinators tend to work best from the press box.  Let the HC and position coaches do the rah rah coaching.  The Xs and Os guys need to have the big picture in mind.

7 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Oh it definitely hurts, because its a little known fact that the speakers in the QB's helmets?  They tend to fail a lot when plays are called in from upstairs.  So a lot of times, QBs have to call thier -own- plays.

And we certainly don't want -that-....do we?  :P

I'd like to see Matt look up at the box, give Shanny the bird, then proceed to rip the speaker out of his helmet.  :D

15 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I disagree slightly.  I think it can and will help.  He sees the entire field from the press box, uncluttered.  That means he sees things the players and coaches on the field can't see regarding alignment, etc.

I like it.  I've always thought the coordinators tend to work best from the press box.  Let the HC and position coaches do the rah rah coaching.  The Xs and Os guys need to have the big picture in mind.

There is merrit to that. To counter I like having the OC and DC down in the field.....it makes making adjustments and getting everyone on the same page easier IMO.

Arguments can be made for both.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

There is merrit to that. To counter I like having the OC and DC down in the field.....it makes making adjustments and getting everyone on the same page easier IMO.

Arguments can be made for both.

That's fair -- it takes a lot of great communication with the position coaches to be in the box, I agree.

44 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

totally agree with this philosophy. To some, that would mean either I'm getting better, or you're slipping ;)