Knew this was gonna happen

ya_boi_j

Falcons plan to go with “guy who’s hot” in the backfield

588638378-e1473437329179.jpg?w=195&h=176

The Falcons learned the value of having two running backs that can handle the lead role in the backfield last season.

Tevin Coleman started the opener with Devonta Freemanrecovering from a hamstring injury but gave the job back the next week after hurting his ribs against the Giants. Freeman would go on to run for 1,056 yards, but the Falcons didn’t lose much when Coleman ran for 158 yards over two starts later in the year while Freeman was dealing with a concussion.

Both players are healthy this year and Freeman remains installed as the starter, but offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan says that both will play and that their ultimate playing time will be determined by how they play over the course of games.

“Go with the guy who’s hot; keep them both fresh,” Shanahan said, via ESPN.com. “I don’t worry about that stuff too much. I love both those backs. There’s really no difference to me which one is in the game, so it’s a good problem to have. Whoever’s rolling with it, you stick with him. When they need a break, the other guy comes in. You try to keep them both fresh to see how it pans out at the end of the game.”

The Falcons finished in the middle of the pack when it came to running the ball last season and improved results on that front would take some of the onus of the passing game in Atlanta. That could help cut down on the interceptions that plagued their offense last year whether Coleman or Freeman winds up doing the lion’s share of the running.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I don't like it...Freeman should get and has earned the bulk of the load. ..Coleman should have some packages and i don't mind seeing them on the field together. ..but the load should go to Freeman

What if he struggles and Coleman kills it?  Still roll with Free? That's all he means by hot hand. The one who produces gets the bulk of carries. Obviously Freeman will get the bulk at first. 

4 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I don't like it...Freeman should get and has earned the bulk of the load. ..Coleman should have some packages and i don't mind seeing them on the field together. ..but the load should go to Freeman

Freeman will get the ball first and foremost. If he is playing okay but not great and comes out for a break and Coleman is busting for plus yardage as his replacement, there's no need to take Coleman out. 

I like Coleman a lot...minus the fumbles...but i just believe it's more to it than just who's hot...Freeman is the harder runner..he can pick up a tough yard...he has proven to have the better hands...he has an edge to him...he's the better blocker....i love the possibilities that Coleman brings.. but i prefer Freeman on the field 70 % of the time..

When each explodes, it's for a different reason. Freeman has better vision. Coleman has faster jets. Depending on the O-line play, either could have an advantage against different teams each week. They need to go with who's playing the best until the D adjusts and then bring the other one in.

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Were was drama mentioned outside of someone taking it for more than what it is? 

Maybe I misinterpreted "knew this was gonna happen"...

To me, personally, this sounded like something unfair or contraversial or jaded was taking place.

Was I the only one who read topic this way?

No offense meant on my part though.

5 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Maybe I misinterpreted "knew this was gonna happen"...

To me, personally, this sounded like something unfair or contraversial or jaded was taking place.

Was I the only one who read topic this way?

No offense meant on my part though.

Knew this was gonna happens means I've mentioned this alot since Shanahan arrived. It's usually how Shanahan works but alot of people don't realize that