So I got a traffic ticket today...

Sponge

...for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. But I absolutely came to a complete stop because I sat there for 3 or 4 sec to read a sign about summer camp to my daughter. He pulls me over 2 miles later and gave me the ticket. I didn't argue with him because it was pointless. I can dispute it in court which I plan to do.

So my question is- how do I prove I stopped? How can he prove I didn't stop w/out video? If he doesn't show, is it dropped? Give me some advice guys on how to handle this in court.

4 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The younger people know how to beat tickets Sponge.  My one question to you is, did you happen to stop past the white line in the road?  Even if you did stop for a few seconds, if you are past that line, they can also give you a ticket for that.  Two miles, that sucks.  But a lot of times they will follow you after the violation to see if they can tack on any added violations.  

What should I tell the judge? Ask him for proof of me not stopping?

7 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

...for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. But I absolutely came to a complete stop because I sat there for 3 or 4 sec to read a sign about summer camp to my daughter. He pulls me over 2 miles later and gave me the ticket. I didn't argue with him because it was pointless. I can dispute it in court which I plan to do.

So my question is- how do I prove I stopped? How can he prove I didn't stop w/out video? If he doesn't show, is it dropped? Give me some advice guys on how to handle this in court.

If you show up in court and speak to the solicitor they may reduce the fee but you're a no win situation unless you had a gopro mounted to your dash

Sorry man, but in traffic court, it is guilty until proven innocent.  Your word against his.  

In all honesty, it really depends on the judge.  I got a ticket one time for something I didn't do.  It was my word against the cops.  The judge waived the fine but still found me guilty.  I was pissed because I shouldn't of had the guilty, but at least I didn't have to pay a fine.  Check to see what the cost of the ticket is, might not be worth the time it takes to plead not guilty.  If it was Fulton County, you will lose an entire day of work sitting at the courthouse.  I'm not sure what that is worth to you.

5 hours ago, pzummo said:

Sorry man, but in traffic court, it is guilty until proven innocent.  Your word against his.  

In all honesty, it really depends on the judge.  I got a ticket one time for something I didn't do.  It was my word against the cops.  The judge waived the fine but still found me guilty.  I was pissed because I shouldn't of had the guilty, but at least I didn't have to pay a fine.  Check to see what the cost of the ticket is, might not be worth the time it takes to plead not guilty.  If it was Fulton County, you will lose an entire day of work sitting at the courthouse.  I'm not sure what that is worth to you.

I got a ticket like that back in 2009. I got it in Hogansville, GA. This crap seems like a racket to me. I tried to find out what my fine was before hand to pay it. They would not tell me, said I HAD TO be in court. So I went and had no idea what my fines was going to be. 

That cost me about 200 bucks. Luckily I could go to the ATM and get it. They were putting people on probation who didn't\couldn't pay that day.

Guess what, folks?  Traffic fines have become a regressive tax.  My wife just paid over two hundred bucks for a no right turn on red violation.  After several cars in front of her did the same thing.  Decatur love getting folks for stopping past the white line. 

In Georgia, folks don't like paying taxes.  Communities need to generate revenue.  This is how they do it. 

1 hour ago, holymoses said:

Guess what, folks?  Traffic fines have become a regressive tax.  My wife just paid over two hundred bucks for a no right turn on red violation.  After several cars in front of her did the same thing.  Decatur love getting folks for stopping past the white line. 

In Georgia, folks don't like paying taxes.  Communities need to generate revenue.  This is how they do it. 

My wife interned at a police station several years ago while she was in school for her Criminal justice degree. They literally had competitions over who could write the most tickets in one month. I was pulled over twice in a three mile round trip for the same offense by the same cop in a matter of five minutes in that little redneck *** town. 

I left the house going to the gas station and was pulled over for my  window tint being too dark. He tested it and wrote me a ticket. I left the gas station and went to the drug store right across the street and picked up my kids prescription. Literally a 1/4 of a mile from where he originally pulled me over he pulled me over again on the way back home. He then proceeded to tell me why he pulled me over and I told him I already knew because he had already written me a ticket 5 minutes earlier for the exact same ******* thing 5 minutes earlier. He started laughing and told me I was good to go. 

There are most certainly departments out there policing for profit.

9 hours ago, shc said:

As someone said try to reschedule.  I have heard cops try to pick the same day for most of their tickets.  That being said, one time I showed, and the cop didn't, and the judge ordered a continuance so the cop could show.

Yep, they try to have the same off day unless they change shifts.

3 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

How exactly did he test the tinted windows for their level of darkness?  

Yes, tickets are a source revenue for cities and counties.  A fine is a tax basically and we all know have there are revenue shortfalls.  Police officers (I have a few relatives that are uniformed officers) start each month with a set of violation quotas they have to write tickets for, so many for speeding violations, stops signs, parking, turn signals, etc.  What happens a lot of times is the officer gets caught up in other work during the month and starts running short on his ticket quotas.  Hence, it is true that most tickets are written towards the end of the month for this reason.  

JP, be careful towards the end of the month.  

He had this this little box that slid over the window that I believe shoots a laser through the window and can measure what percentage tint you have. I knew the tint was illegal so I had no real problem with getting pulled over but getting pulled over for the same thing by the same cop within a quarter mile within five minutes....

18 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

How exactly did he test the tinted windows for their level of darkness? 

Back in the 90s when tinted windows was something I cared about, they would test by holding a special card behind it an seeing if they could read it.

On September 11, 2016 at 4:27 AM, shc said:

Back in the 90s when tinted windows was something I cared about, they would test by holding a special card behind it an seeing if they could read it.

The judge normally drops it if you come to court with your tint pulled off your windows.