Falcons benefit from Saints Front Office poor decisions...

Capitalist

Kicking the can down the road again...

Drew Brees got a $30 million signing bonus on his new two-year deal.

That bonus will be spread out across the next five years of the Saints' cap, lowering Brees' number significantly this year. Bress will get a $1 million base salary this season and a $13 million base salary in 2017. The entire deal is fully guaranteed.

2 hours ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

It's a move they had to make but they have mismanaged their salary cap so badly the last few years that I doubt the Saints will be good enough to make a Superbowl again while Brees is still playing. On top of that, they haven't really been hitting hard on their picks lately. 

For all the justified criticism that comes TD's way, he manages our cap as well as any team in football. 

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

which is easy to do when you have no marquee players on defense (other than maybe Trufant who is on rookie deal).

And saints do?

We may not have any marquee players on D yet, but the talent is there (which I think we both agree is Quinn/Pioli not TD).

But I do give TD credit where it is due, he has effectively managed our cap his entire time here, including during our run years of 2008-2012 with Gonzales/Roddy/Turner/Ryan/Julio et al). Most GMs don't do very well with the cap when that kind of success comes and it haunts them for years like this will the Aints. TD did not let that happen here.  

Edited by Vandy

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

They're almost just banking on the cap going up every year to minimize it. 

The problem is, the cap goes up for everyone else too.

Think ti was the best they could do, give them the best chance next couple of years to put a team around Brees, then, if Brees is still playing at a high level in 2018, they can re-negotiate or, let him go, take the cap hit and start over.

Would have given him more salary and less bonus myself and think they're probably a 7-9 team anyway, but it gives them a chance.

59 minutes ago, AndySG said:

We haven't benefited that much so far. 

Aints were 7-9 last year, haven't drafted nor handled their free agency well in a long time, and now just signed their aging QB for another zillion dollars that will hurt their cap down the road. Brees will put up some more of his meaningless glossy stats, but they're not going to be getting better as a team....... 

Edited by Vandy

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

And saints do?

We may not have any marquee players on D yet, but the talent is there (which I think we both agree is Quinn/Pioli not TD).

But I do give TD credit where it is due, he has effectively managed our cap his entire time here, including during our run years of 2008-2012 with Gonzales/Roddy/Turner/Ryan/Julio et al). Most GMs don't do very well with the cap when that kind of success comes and it haunts them for years like this will the Aints. TD did not let that happen here.  

in fairness, using the Saints to bolster how wonderfully we managed the cap is silly - the Saints are the worst in the league by far.  At any given time, there usually are about 4-5 teams that don't manage the cap well while the other 25 or so teams do just fine.   It is not really that hard to be disciplined and stay in good cap shape.   The challenge comes when you have 5-6 pro-bowl caliber players - or - if you are chasing the top of the top players in free agency on an annual basis.

I just don't believe TD is some type of guru on the cap - when Trufant, Matthews and Freeman are off their rook deals, we will see how wonderful of a cap manager that TD really is - in the last 9 years, we have not had enough talent to give any bragging TD's way.    TD has not done a bad job w/ the cap - just don't know that you make the jump that he has done great - not enough talent to say so.   I will concede he has not made any huge mistakes other than maybe Dunta Robinson - TD is terrible in free agency but most of those deals were fairly low dollar and were easy to recover from - there has not been enough drafted talent from 2008 - 2013 to really have re-sign issues.

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

in fairness, using the Saints to bolster how wonderfully we managed the cap is silly - the Saints are the worst in the league by far.  At any given time, there usually are about 4-5 teams that don't manage the cap well while the other 25 or so teams do just fine.   It is not really that hard to be disciplined and stay in good cap shape.   The challenge comes when you have 5-6 pro-bowl caliber players - or - if you are chasing the top of the top players in free agency on an annual basis.

I just don't believe TD is some type of guru on the cap - when Trufant, Matthews and Freeman are off their rook deals, we will see how wonderful of a cap manager that TD really is - in the last 9 years, we have not had enough talent to give any bragging TD's way.    TD has not done a bad job w/ the cap - just don't know that you make the jump that he has done great - not enough talent to say so.   I will concede he has not made any huge mistakes other than maybe Dunta Robinson - TD is terrible in free agency but most of those deals were fairly low dollar and were easy to recover from - there has not been enough drafted talent from 2008 - 2013 to really have re-sign issues.

I get it g-dawg, you don't like TD ....just so you know, I'm not a fan either. But as a finance guy , I still recognize a good job when I see it. I disagree with you that it's easy, especially with both a $100m QB and $70M WR on payroll...plus like a said, most teams get in trouble when they have the successful run like we had in 2008-12.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-5-teams-facing-serious-salary-cap-issues-in-2016.html/?a=viewall

Edited by Vandy

25 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I get it g-dawg, you don't like TD ....just so you know, I'm not a fan either. But as a finance guy , I still recognize a good job when I see it. I disagree with you that it's easy, especially with both a $100m QB and $70M WR on payroll...plus like a said, most teams get in trouble when they have the successful run like we had in 2008-12.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-5-teams-facing-serious-salary-cap-issues-in-2016.html/?a=viewall

it is not a matter of credit or no credit - it is just an observation of the composition of the roster - there is not a lot of marquee talent that is on a 2nd contract already.   For comparison, Green Bay may not have a $70mm WR but they have two top WRs in Jordy/Cobb who are both on 2nd deals plus Aaron Rogers plus Clay Matthews.   Antonio Brown is not making what Julio is but he is getting paid and of course there is Big Ben.  Other teams have premier QBs and maybe not a star WR but 2-3 other star players - it ain't rocket science. 

Besides that, Dimitroff is not even cap manager - Nick Polk is and has been - his main job responsibility is contracts and cap management so Dimitroff relies on him.

This is not be bashing TD - just making points and bringing perspective.   Obviously TD has affect  on all these things - and - as I said, he has not done a bad job and the Falcons are in good cap shape - fine for him to get some credit but it is out of proportion on this board to the reality of the roster and what TD actually does.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/staff/Nick-Polk/7e187398-8b98-494b-a498-13c4ed40f6a1

BIOGRAPHY

Nick Polk enters his seventh season as director of football operations in 2015. He spent five seasons as the club’s director of football administration and enters his 12th year overall with the team. He works closely with General Manager Thomas Dimitroff on all contract proposals, negotiations, and salary cap management. Polk also helps coordinate the Falcons compliance with the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement and labor related issues. Aside from his football operations duties with the Falcons, Polk was responsible for all aspects of the football operations of the Georgia Force, namely; scouting, player selection and development, coach, and player contracts. The Force won the Southern Division title, the National Conference Championship and advanced to Arena Bowl XIX in 2005. Prior to arriving in Atlanta, Polk served as the director of football operations for NFL 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

it is not a matter of credit or no credit - it is just an observation of the composition of the roster - there is not a lot of marquee talent that is on a 2nd contract already.   For comparison, Green Bay may not have a $70mm WR but they have two top WRs in Jordy/Cobb who are both on 2nd deals plus Aaron Rogers plus Clay Matthews.   Antonio Brown is not making what Julio is but he is getting paid and of course there is Big Ben.  Other teams have premier QBs and maybe not a star WR but 2-3 other star players - it ain't rocket science. 

Besides that, Dimitroff is not even cap manager - Nick Polk is and has been - his main job responsibility is contracts and cap management so Dimitroff relies on him.

This is not be bashing TD - just making points and bringing perspective.   Obviously TD has affect  on all these things - and - as I said, he has not done a bad job and the Falcons are in good cap shape - fine for him to get some credit but it is out of proportion on this board to the reality of the roster and what TD actually does.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/staff/Nick-Polk/7e187398-8b98-494b-a498-13c4ed40f6a1

BIOGRAPHY

Nick Polk enters his seventh season as director of football operations in 2015. He spent five seasons as the club’s director of football administration and enters his 12th year overall with the team. He works closely with General Manager Thomas Dimitroff on all contract proposals, negotiations, and salary cap management. Polk also helps coordinate the Falcons compliance with the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement and labor related issues. Aside from his football operations duties with the Falcons, Polk was responsible for all aspects of the football operations of the Georgia Force, namely; scouting, player selection and development, coach, and player contracts. The Force won the Southern Division title, the National Conference Championship and advanced to Arena Bowl XIX in 2005. Prior to arriving in Atlanta, Polk served as the director of football operations for NFL 

Come on man, you're better than this, one of my favorite posters on this board. Your dislike of TD is fogging up the reality on this issue. 

Of course TD is not doing the actual detail work, no general MANAGER does the work, he manages the people doing the work and reviews it. Bottom line, he's responsible (which is why I never gave TD a pass on the horrible drafting 2009-2012) He obviously has the right guy in place, which is what a GM is supposed to do. Which is why I said in this case, TD has done a good a good job managing our cap.

Edited by Vandy