2017 Dream Draft

hjerry

OK, so this is my first mock of the season. As such, a few disclaimers are in order. First, as this is the first, it is obviously based solely on preseason play, and the now established 53 man roster and 10 man practice squad. I based a lot of my final FA decisions on who I could rationally argue would be there to sign, versus who would not. My FA additions are also based off of a projected 165 million 2017 cap. I’m doing this based off of the increase that we’ve been seeing each year as of late, in order to keep things simple. I’m also adding in about 5 million in rollover, given that we have about 7 available at the moment. This puts us at right about 45 million in cap space before cuts and resigning, which then becomes my starting point here.

I’d also like to request, as always, that you please not take these too seriously. Few on here were able to predict what we are able to do in FA each year with much accuracy, and I don’t really expect this next year to be much different. Quinn is simply sort of a wild card in that aspect, and it makes what are, almost always, for all of us, unlikely drafts, even more so. I think that I’d like to see these happen, but I fully acknowledge that they are unlikely to all, if any, happen, and you should do the same for your own mocks. I consider this possible, but not probable.

I’m also listing all, formerly known as Post June 1 cuts, as “Post Draft cuts” simply b/c they’ve now moved that date to May 12.

Oh, and I’m not listing cuts that don’t save us at least one million. With the top 51 rule in effect, it wouldn’t be worth the time that it would take to type them out.

Cuts:

Tyson Jackson (Post Draft cut) – I had this on here last year, but I have to say, that Jackson pleasantly surprised me. They were able to find a new more versatile use for him, and he ended up actually outlasting Soliai, which I did not anticipate. Still, I do believe that it really is only a matter of time before we move on, simply due to finding cheaper and younger run stoppers. (4.25 saved post draft)

Andy Levitre – I’ve actually been among Levitre’s more staunch supporters around here, but even I have to admit that his time with the team will probably not be for long. Looking at his cap hit, plus age, he’ll probably have to have quite the season to stick around for another year. For now though, I’m going assume he’s toast (3.875 saved)

Matt Bryant (Retired) – You know, as much as it annoys me, reading thread after thread where our posters keep trying to kill him off, I do agree that his time is coming to an end. I firmly believed that we would hold onto him for this season, and we have, but his age is catching up with him, and it’s clearly taking a toll on his body. Whether he is able to finish the whole season and every game for us or not, I do believe that it is probably in his best interests to retire after 2016, though I’d certainly love to see him completely rebound, dominate, and play the season injury free. (2.5 saved)

Post cuts cap space: 51.375 with an additional 4.25 coming after the draft

Resigns:

Ryan Schraeder – This one is a no brainer imo. Resigning one of the best RTs in the league who was a home grown product brought in as one of those rare UDFA gems shouldn’t need explanation. The only reasoning that I can think of for not doing so, would be the thought that we could get similar production cheaper, but sometimes you just need to reward your players, and this is one such time I believe.

Tom Compton – Possibly cheap OT depth, really haven’t seen enough of him to comment tbh

Aldrick Robinson – If he keeps burning DBs in the regular season like he did in this preseason, then I absolutely want to keep him around for the next few years.

Eric Weems – At his current level of play, he’s worth bringing back on the cheap, but honestly, what I’d really like to see is McKissic grow into the gunner position and make Weems obsolete. Stay tuned.

Jacob Tamme – This is much the same as Babs for me. My absolute hope is that by season’s end, Hooper has gotten his act together, and taken that starting role and ran with it, or at least done enough to make us think that he’ll be ready in 2017. Even if he does however, we’ll need some depth behind him, and Tamme is steady and cheap, plus he knows the system which warrants at least a 1yr deal imo. Of course, what would be even better would be for Perkins to make this needless, but I haven’t seen near enough of him to make that kind of call. I will also say though, that if Martellus Bennett managed to get away from the Patriots, that I would very much be interested.

Levine Toilolo – A cheap young blocking TE, who can play RT for you in a pinch, can certainly come in handy.

Patrick Dimarco – The best FB in the league has earned his contract.

Jonathan Babineaux – I struggled on this one, and yes, he’s certainly getting older, but I still think he’s good enough to warrant a cheap 1yr deal to be a reserve. He’s shown enough for me to think that he can play for at least one more year.

Courtney Upshaw – Totally up in the air for me right now, haven’t seen near enough

Sean Weatherspoon – I’ve seen enough of him this offseason to make me believe that he’s worth keeping around. If he can stay healthy this season (a big if mind you), then he’d be perfect as our #1 reserve LB.

Paul Worrilow – Whether some on here like it or not, I have little doubt that Worrilow will be on this roster in 2017. He has the character, the leadership, and the drive, that Quinn covets in his players, and is more than willing to accept whatever role is needed to help out the team. He really shouldn’t be that expensive to bring back either.

Kemal Ishmael – Depends. I’d really like to bring him back, but only if it’s reasonable, as he’ll only be depth here.

These moves shouldn’t cost us much more than about 25 million against the cap. To make things simple, let’s just say that I’m heading into FA with 26 million in cap space.

2015 Free Agents:

Eric Berry S Chiefs – Yep, I’m starting with this one. After all it is a “dream” draft, so I might as well get something that I really want lol. Let me be clear, I do like Allen, and I really hope that he makes this addition mute, but it would certainly be a dream for me to see Berry return home to GA, and play FS for us, which I believe would be his role in this defense. Would he be expensive? Sure, but even at roughly 10 a season, I think that we could afford it, and it might be worth it to have our own Earl Thomas to go with our new Kam (more or less). This probably won’t happen, but for version 1, I’m going to dream big.

Jamie Collins/Jabaal Sheard Patriots – Which one? Either. I thought about this a lot, and I think that either could help us tremendously, whether it’s Sheard on the line, or Collins to more or less being our new Bruce Irvin. The thing is that the Patriots have both of them coming up for contracts, as well as Hightower, so it’s likely that at least one gets away. Meanwhile, Beasely’s versatility offers us this freedom. Whichever one we don’t get, we can play Beasely at the remaining position. Either way, we would be massively improved.

Kevin Zeitler OG Bengals – Or something else regarding the OL. This is the one area that I probably struggle the most in predicting each year, as I can never really get a handle on where we’re headed. On the one hand, Shanahan seems to like getting his OGs more in the late rounds, than higher or in FA. On the other hand, that scares the crap out of me. Kevin Zeitler is the big name in OGs this time around, and David Decastro is the other, but it’s highly likely that they’re both resigned by their respective teams. If so, we may end up going the retread/late round pick route yet again. It is also possible that we pick up Kory Lichtensteiger if (when?) he’s released by the Redskins, and/or resign Chester for another season if he stays healthy. I also believe that Schweitzer will start sooner rather than later, maybe even at some point this season.

I’d imagine, if we’re smart with the structuring, that we could exit this with about 5 in cap space, with another 4.25 coming after the draft to help sign our class.

2016 Dream Draft

For now, I’m going to be slotting us at roughly the same position as we were at this last year. I’ll just be sticking us right in the middle of the draft, so that’s where I’m starting from on these picks.

1st:

Charles Harris, DE/OLB, Missouri 
          Height: 6-3 Weight: 235
          Projected 40 Time: 4.77

This next draft looks to be loaded with pass rushers, and so part of my struggles in making this first mock was less a matter of choosing what kind of player that I wanted, and more a matter of choosing which one that I wanted. I ultimately settled on Harris, b/c of his speed off the edge, which should make him a great option for LEO. Carl Lawson could also be a great option here if he can prove that he can stay healthy.

2nd:   

Lowell Lotulelei, DT, Utah 
          Height: 6-2 Weight: 310
          Projected 40 Time: 5.40         

Star Lotulelei was my favorite prospect in his draft, and I hated to see him go to a rival, so when I saw that his brother could be available as an option, I admittedly found it hard to resist. He displays a lot of the same prowess that his brother does, but is a little less refined, which is why he may not come out this year. He may wait to make sure that he’ll be a high first round pick like his brother, but if he were to come out, then I would absolutely want him. Having him in there clogging running lanes would do wonders to free our guys up.

3rd:

Demarcus Walker, DT/DE, Florida State 
          Height: 6-3 Weight: 281
          Projected 40 Time: 4.83

I’d be lying if I said that this wasn’t at least a little inspired by that recent FSU game, and for that same reason, he may not be here come April, but he definitely showed his worth in that game. I also believe that besides just a smaller faster edge rusher like Harris that a larger more outside/inside guy should also be taken to help stock the shelves. I don’t really know what Shelby will do this season, but having a younger guy of similar type can help to set us up for a long time, especially since I’m still not sure that we’ll hold onto Hageman beyond his rookie contract.

4th:

Seth Russell, QB, Baylor 
          Height: 6-3 Weight: 220 
          Projected 40 Time: 4.68

It’s time that we drafted a backup QB. There’s always a chance that they envision Simms as this long term option, but I’m going to assume for now that they do not. I also considered Mitch Leidner here, as I’ve been becoming increasingly intrigued by his skill set and progression.

5th:

Casey Tucker, OT, Stanford 
          Height: 6-6 Weight: 300 
          Projected 40 Time: 5.32

I seriously considered listing his teammate Johnny Caspers here instead, but ultimately went with Tucker b/c of his versatility to play RT.

6th:

Jeremy Cutrer, CB, Middle Tennessee 
          Height: 6-1 Weight: 170 
          Projected 40 Time: 4.49

We could use some more depth at CB, and Cutrer seems to me to be cut from the kind of cloth that Quinn likes.

7th:

Jake Elliott, K, Memphis 
          Height: 5-10 Weight: 176

With Bryant retiring, we’ll obviously need a new kicker. Elliot has been consistently accurate in his time at Memphis.

Remember that this is my DREAM draft. I know that a lot of this is unlikely, but for now, any of this is still possible. I’m still using mostly NFLDRAFTSCOUT and Walterfootball for my stock rankings since they usually are about as close as can be come draft day, but I also supplement with a number of other sites combined with my own, albeit a lot of times flawed, analysis.

You know, I've had (and still do) my complaints about the new board setup, but I have to say, I really like the formatting adjustments made on a copy/pasted word Doc.

In every year past, I've had to modify my post afterward to get it to at least resemble by original doc, but this time, it understood all the formatting perfectly.

Kudos :)

19 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

Can't see Walker falling past top 15 with 10 sacks last year and 4 in his first game. Stranger things have happened though. I say we grab a more effective younger DT in FA to pair with Loteleilei and Co.  Babs has been stealing checks from Blank for 3 years now just look at the stats. 

Maybe, but like I said in the disclaimer, I base this off of current rankings. I fully expect them to change as the year progresses. 

As for another DT, I wouldn't be opposed, and I did think about it, but I struggled to find the funds. We could always just not get Berry of course, but, if only in my first one, I really wanted to include him.

My next one mid season will be much more realistic. 

3 hours ago, hjerry said:

As for another DT, I wouldn't be opposed, and I did think about it, but I struggled to find the funds. We could always just got get Berry of course, but, if only in my first one, I really wanted to include him.

My next one mid season will be much more realistic. 

True. It's early but do you see Loteleilei falling to the second? I think anything is possible if A.Robinson can fall to Detroit in the second round who had more sacks at the same point of his career than Loteleilei 

15 minutes ago, Matt4415 said:

Honestly, I am not one of those who believes we will go 10-6, or anything close. With that being said, and I'm not saying I am advocating this is any way. But how would you feel if we ended up with a top 5 pick? And how would that alter your draft? 

I chose to leave us middle of the pack, not b/c of my own estimations of success, but merely out of the respect for the unknown.

My mock after game 8 will have our position more based on where we seem to be headed at that point.

How would you feel about drafting two edge guys? 

I feel  like if we can get a dominate DT in free agency and add some edge guys in the draft to get younger, that's the best way to improve the team. Our secondary and LB corp are young and pretty good. It's time to focus on trenches. 

As a side note, what are your thoughts on AJ Jefferson from Miss State and Ekanem from VT?

6 hours ago, Matt4415 said:

How would you feel about drafting two edge guys? 

I feel  like if we can get a dominate DT in free agency and add some edge guys in the draft to get younger, that's the best way to improve the team. Our secondary and LB corp are young and pretty good. It's time to focus on trenches. 

As a side note, what are your thoughts on AJ Jefferson from Miss State and Ekanem from VT?

I think we should target edge rushers in free agency and draft D tackles. I got my personal wants just like everybody else. Mine are Devin Taylor and Jabaal Sheard.

3 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

I think we should target edge rushers in free agency and draft D tackles. I got my personal wants just like everybody else. Mine are Devin Taylor and Jabaal Sheard.

I can understand that. I was just thinking it might be easier and cheaper to get a DT in free agency and load up on Edge guys in the draft since there seems to be a surplus

8 hours ago, Matt4415 said:

I can understand that. I was just thinking it might be easier and cheaper to get a DT in free agency and load up on Edge guys in the draft since there seems to be a surplus

If you want to wait until 2019 to see results, 2018 if he has that dog in him. I think the top free agent target needs to be a DE. Maybe 2, we could pick up one in the draft also just to get Quinn's scheme going. In a lot of ways getting stronger in front of our linebackers is just as important because of how we are trying to utilize speed at the second level and keep a down safety.

great read hjerry!

I watched the UGA/Mizzou game and really liked Charles Harris.

I could have sworn the announcers said he was 255lbs. though.  You have him above @ 235....he looked much, much bigger.

After the disappointment so far with Beasley, I don't want any undersized passrushers.

12 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

great read hjerry!

I watched the UGA/Mizzou game and really liked Charles Harris.

I could have sworn the announcers said he was 255lbs. though.  You have him above @ 235....he looked much, much bigger.

After the disappointment so far with Beasley, I don't want any undersized passrushers.

The weight is based off Walterfootball's listed measureables, as I tend to copy/paste those to make things easier. They could be wrong, and/or he very well could have put on weight over the offseason. We'll have to wait and see what he weighs in at officially at the combine.

6 hours ago, hjerry said:

The weight is based off Walterfootball's listed measureables, as I tend to copy/paste those to make things easier. They could be wrong, and/or he very well could have put on weight over the offseason. We'll have to wait and see what he weighs in at officially at the combine.

ESPN - 6'3" 260lbs

CBS - 6'3" 255lbs

FOX - 6'3" 255lbs

Mizzou website had him at 235lbs in his redshirt Freshman year but he us obviously much bigger now.

2016 UGA Game:

57e1efbc99ec4.image.jpg

He is every bit of 260lbs in this......if he is legit 6'2" or 6'3" - dude is LARGE!!!

Harris put on some weight this offseason because he was trying to get more stout against the run. But he wasn't really filled out as much last year, and there was a concern he might lose some of his quickness if he put on weight. Uh yeah, I don't think so lol. He kind of reminds me of Vinny Curry when he came out of Marshall.