ITT Tech is gone

lostone

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest marla_mulder

I heard a nursing student on the radio earlier...said she was done with all but one class to finish her degree, and no other schools are offering to let them transfer in and finish up their degrees. I'd be so sick....all that money and hard work wasted.

7 minutes ago, marla_mulder said:

I heard a nursing student on the radio earlier...said she was done with all but one class to finish her degree, and no other schools are offering to let them transfer in and finish up their degrees. I'd be so sick....all that money and hard work wasted.

There is going to be a lot of heart break around some of these institutions.  I expect more like it.  I don't understand why people go to them rather than an online course at a regular college.

Man, I almost signed on the dotted line with ITT for my Master's in IT degree and I am so glad that I didn't go with them. I dodged a major bullet.

I didn't follow through with them because it felt as if I was buying a d*mn car and not an education. They tell you one thing starting out and then when you start the paperwork to get going, the numbers change to ridiculous amounts.

They were indeed predatory. And even after I told the recruiter that I had went with another university for a better degree and at a much cheaper price, he kept calling me, asking if I ever change my mind to consider them. :huh:

Well after this news, I won't expect to ever hear from him again.

What pisses me off about this news is for the veterans who used their GI Bill at this place. There's nothing in place in which they can get their money back, so they have to take a loss. That's BS. :angry: Not only are they out of the money they earned for their service, they either won't get their degree that they put in the work for, or worse, have a degree that no one will respect.

2 hours ago, Statick said:

Man, I almost signed on the dotted line with ITT for my Master's in IT degree and I am so glad that I didn't go with them. I dodged a major bullet.

I didn't follow through with them because it felt as if I was buying a d*mn car and not an education. They tell you one thing starting out and then when you start the paperwork to get going, the numbers change to ridiculous amounts.

They were indeed predatory. And even after I told the recruiter that I had went with another university for a better degree and at a much cheaper price, he kept calling me, asking if I ever change my mind to consider them. :huh:

What pisses me off about this news is for the veterans who used their GI Bill at this place. There's nothing in place in which they can get their money back, so they have to take a loss. That's BS. :angry: Not only are they out of the money they earned for their service, they either won't get their degree that they put in the work for, or worse, have a degree that no one will respect.

That's terrible... I hope something can be done.

BTW, what advantage is there to having a degree in IT?  Does it give you different industry knowledge than a normal CS or CE degree would?

25 minutes ago, lostone said:

That's terrible... I hope something can be done.

BTW, what advantage is there to having a degree in IT?  Does it give you different industry knowledge than a normal CS or CE degree would?

It's not too different. I want to specialize in cybersecurity. With all of the cyber attacks going on in the world, it's one of the fastest growing occupations, plus it already jibes with my current knowledge in IT/communications/electronics.

12 minutes ago, Statick said:

It's not too different. I want to specialize in cybersecurity. With all of the cyber attacks going on in the world, it's one of the fastest growing occupations, plus it already jibes with my current knowledge in IT/communications/electronics.

Oh so security.  So understanding network protocols and why people can exploit vulnerabilities.

3 hours ago, Statick said:

I never had first hand experience with ITT but I know that career counselors and guidance counselors had very strong feelings against them, one in particular telling a story of how they would accept mentally challenged just so long as the check cleared (per se)

6 minutes ago, FalconsInstitutionalSize said:

I never had first hand experience with ITT but I know that career counselors and guidance counselors had very strong feelings against them, one in particular telling a story of how they would accept mentally challenged just so long as the check cleared (per se)

I don't know about the mentally challenged part, but it still has some truth to it, especially if they know that the person doesn't have any technical acumen whatsoever.

If they overlook that only to get a person in the door and into a class in which they have a high propensity of failure, then that very predatory and wrong.

Just now, Statick said:

I don't know about the mentally challenged part, but it still has some truth to it, especially if they know that you don't have any technical acumen whatsoever.

If they overlook that only to get a person in the door and into a class in which they have high propensity of failure, then that very predatory and wrong.

those weren't the exact words but yes they knew the students would not succeed but OK'd it anyway.

I'd like to think that the free market worked and finally destroyed a cancer.

Just now, FalconsInstitutionalSize said:

those weren't the exact words but yes they knew the students would not succeed but OK'd it anyway.

I'd like to think that the free market worked and finally destroyed a cancer.

I'd like to think so as well. I just hate that we as taxpayers will probably have to foot the bill to a high extent at some point.

I just wonder how long it's going to take this student loan bubble to burst.

I think the ability to get student loans should go away. I bet the fact that people can borrow crazy amounts of money to go school has played a major role in the price of college being out of control.

The goverment makes a lot money off of student loans over a 10 year period the goverment has made a profit of $135 billion dollars from the loans.

Edited by Brehus

4 hours ago, FalconsInstitutionalSize said:

no I'm not going to waste my time because if you don't already see then I'm not going to cure you of your blindness, I'm not Jesus.

So you are a no regulation guy probably in nearly all cases even when people are targeted and abused by those with money.  Thanks Ed.

7 hours ago, Statick said:

When you find out how to do that let me know. Seriously no joke cause I want to do the same thing just don't know where to start/look at the moment that's the problem.