Jump to content

Offensive Line Depth


WiscoFalcon
 Share

Recommended Posts

TD has finally addressed the offensive line with our big splash of hauling in Alex Mack to pair with our very good tackles and average guards, but taking a look at the depth chart behind the starting five is pretty worrisome. 

While I would love to upgrade our two guard positions, I am pretty pleased with our offensive line - as long as they stay healthy.

Chances are, at least one of the five is going to miss a game or two at the very least at some point.

Leaving the following to fill in when someone goes down - Tom Compton (not much starting experience), Mike Person (very poor center, decent guard), Wes Schweitzer (6th round rookie that most thought wouldn't even be drafted), and Ben Garland (not much starting experience). 

That's all we got.

Here's to hoping nobody goes down or our offense goes down the tubes even more than is already has under Shanahan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sonnyjim said:

I'm more worried about the starters than OP is.  In the 'dress rehearsal'' game 3 against the Fish our Oline might as well have been wearing dresses.  We rushed for about 15 yds in the first half.    Ryan and Shaub faced pressure too. Hope they become more unified.

 

Except it wasn't a dress rehearsal as far as Quinn is concerned- he tried out different combinations along the OLIne even in the first half.

 

Falcons seem to be pretty happy with Schweitzer and Garland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Except it wasn't a dress rehearsal as far as Quinn is concerned- he tried out different combinations along the OLIne even in the first half.

 

Falcons seem to be pretty happy with Schweitzer and Garland.

^^this^^  

 

and I think schweitzer and garland will be brought along slowly and not just dumped in the fire, as long as there aren't significant injuries

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It could be worse. The Saints are starting season with a horrible OL, we have a very good OL starting season. Mack s a game changer and our OTs are both very good. The average OGs will do fine playing next to Mack  and  the superior OTs.

we have some depth but if Mack or one of our OTs goes down we could be in trouble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

     Wes Schweitzer has some Harvey Dahl in him, he plays to and through the whistle. I studied him closely in every preseason game and I think he'll be a great addition and will man the guard position for a long time to come. He's very athletic and what really stands out is his balance. When he's beaten by a D-lineman or LB, he maintains his balance enough to recover and re-engage. This is a critical necessity for the guard position in particular because of the need to react to stunts and inside LB blitzes. It's the one thing that separates the best O-lineman from the average journeyman. BALANCE.  Wes grades high for balance and athleticism. Some of you guys see a play or two where there is a breakdown in protection and automatically assume a the O-lineman in question is a bad player. Those that think that about Wes are either ignorant of O-line technique or just allowing your emotions to rule. If the FO lets Schweitzer get away someone should be fired. The last guy the Falcons had at guard that I felt had the same qualities as Schweitzer was R.C Thielmann. Schweitzer would be snapped up in a heartbeat if he goes to the PS or is released. I hope that the rumors of Barett Jones possibly coming in would mean Person would be the guy to go.

Edited by slider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slider said:

     Wes Schweitzer has some Harvey Dahl in him, he plays to and through the whistle. I studied him closely in every preseason game and I think he'll be a great addition and will man the guard position for a long time to come. He's very athletic and what really stands out is his balance. When he's beaten by a D-lineman or LB, he maintains his balance enough to recover and re-engage. This is a critical necessity for the guard position in particular because of the need to react to stunts and inside LB blitzes. It's the one thing that separates the best O-lineman from the average journeyman. BALANCE.  Wes grades high for balance and athleticism. Some of you guys see a play or two where there is a breakdown in protection and automatically assume a the O-lineman in question is a bad player. Those that think that about Wes are either ignorant of O-line technique or just allowing your emotions to rule. If the FO lets Schweitzer get away someone should be fired. The last guy the Falcons had at guard that I felt had the same qualities as Schweitzer was R.C Thielmann. Schweitzer would be snapped up in a heartbeat if he goes to the PS or is released. I hope that the rumors of Barett Jones possibly coming in would mean Person would be the guy to go.

man you have to go back a ways to get to Thielmann. but man what an OLine, him, Kenn, good ole number 57, bryant and scott. Van Note has always been one of my favorite all time players, loved that they sent him out with that shiny black 57 Chevy..... but man if we had that kind of line for Ryan and Freeman!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, papachaz said:

man you have to go back a ways to get to Thielmann. but man what an OLine, him, Kenn, good ole number 57, bryant and scott. Van Note has always been one of my favorite all time players, loved that they sent him out with that shiny black 57 Chevy..... but man if we had that kind of line for Ryan and Freeman!

Maybe developing that kind of OLine right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, papachaz said:

man you have to go back a ways to get to Thielmann. but man what an OLine, him, Kenn, good ole number 57, bryant and scott. Van Note has always been one of my favorite all time players, loved that they sent him out with that shiny black 57 Chevy..... but man if we had that kind of line for Ryan and Freeman!

There was a long period of time in the history of this franchise that we didn't have to worry about the O-line. The Falcons had one of the most stable O-lines in the league. The lack of unrestricted free agency had a lot to do with it but it sure was nice to have that consistent veteran O-line. Just goes to show that you never know if you're currently living in what will someday be called 'the good ole days'. We were then when it came to the O-line. Hopefully we'll see a resurgence of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Maybe developing that kind of OLine right now.

man I hope you're right! it definitely looks better than last year, and if Wes can be coached up to take over RG by next year, we should be set for a few years. Something we haven't seen around here in a while, that's for sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, slider said:

     Wes Schweitzer has some Harvey Dahl in him, he plays to and through the whistle. I studied him closely in every preseason game and I think he'll be a great addition and will man the guard position for a long time to come. He's very athletic and what really stands out is his balance. When he's beaten by a D-lineman or LB, he maintains his balance enough to recover and re-engage. This is a critical necessity for the guard position in particular because of the need to react to stunts and inside LB blitzes. It's the one thing that separates the best O-lineman from the average journeyman. BALANCE.  Wes grades high for balance and athleticism. Some of you guys see a play or two where there is a breakdown in protection and automatically assume a the O-lineman in question is a bad player. Those that think that about Wes are either ignorant of O-line technique or just allowing your emotions to rule. If the FO lets Schweitzer get away someone should be fired. The last guy the Falcons had at guard that I felt had the same qualities as Schweitzer was R.C Thielmann. Schweitzer would be snapped up in a heartbeat if he goes to the PS or is released. I hope that the rumors of Barett Jones possibly coming in would mean Person would be the guy to go.

Agree. Schweitzer plays with that edge I like to see. He should be here for many years to come. Person would be the odd man out if they brought in Jones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, gazoo said:

It could be worse. The Saints are starting season with a horrible OL, we have a very good OL starting season. Mack s a game changer and our OTs are both very good. The average OGs will do fine playing next to Mack  and  the superior OTs.

we have some depth but if Mack or one of our OTs goes down we could be in trouble.

just read they've resigned Jahri Evans..........apparently they're pretty desperate. Also read they extended puckmarkface for another year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...