The no huddle offense

Sun Tzu 7

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of it this Sunday...

However I think it's going to be Tampa running it.

I REALLY hope we win.  Otherwise if we lose to our old OC running a no huddle when our current OC refuses... AND a Mike Smith defense....

This would be a horrible way to start the season.

The no huddle is basically about catching wrong personnel on the field and expose it. That's why it's good to start the rookies. If they DO run no huddle we'll still have speed on the field to keep up. No huddle doesn't really work against cover 3 like that anyway being that we would line right back up with the same coverage. We didn't run a lot of no huddle against Seattle in the playoffs. We ran hurry up at the end but they are too different dynamics.  

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

The no huddle is basically about catching wrong personnel on the field and expose it. That's why it's good to start the rookies. If they DO run no huddle we'll still have speed on the field to keep up. No huddle doesn't really work against cover 3 like that anyway being that we would line right back up with the same coverage. We didn't run a lot of no huddle against Seattle in the playoffs. We ran hurry up at the end but they are too different dynamics.  

I'd really like to see us run more 'hurry up'....Matt's always seemed to excel in that part of the game. Not sure we'll see as much of it as some of us would like though

4 minutes ago, papachaz said:

I'd really like to see us run more 'hurry up'....Matt's always seemed to excel in that part of the game. Not sure we'll see as much of it as some of us would like though

That's the funny thing. We didn't run hurry up. We ran basically a huddle without the huddle. We still ran the clock down to 2 seconds in no huddle. We never hurried the defense unless we were in a time crunch. We still ran clock in no huddle. Ppl don't understand how much speed on the field makes a difference for that. If the bucs run no huddle in the way we ran it in terms of still running clock we'll be just fine because it's gonna be hard to catch us on the field with wrong personnel. Plus I doubt the bucs try no huddle on the road. We didn't run it a lot OnThe road. The crowd gets too loud for the opposing qb. 

ok thanks for the explanation, for me 'hurry up' is just getting the play called and up to the line quickly, as you say, trying to catch the wrong personnel on the field, or before they can sub out guys who are tired. And in some cases, like washington did to us on that big play pass where so many got bent out of shape because Tru 'got burned', get lined up, get the play called and snap the ball before the defense is ready.

maybe the fact that matt appeared so totally uncomfortable in the system last year is why we didn't do it more, and hopefully the preseason wasn't an indicator that he hasn't gotten better with it

14 minutes ago, papachaz said:

ok thanks for the explanation, for me 'hurry up' is just getting the play called and up to the line quickly, as you say, trying to catch the wrong personnel on the field, or before they can sub out guys who are tired. And in some cases, like washington did to us on that big play pass where so many got bent out of shape because Tru 'got burned', get lined up, get the play called and snap the ball before the defense is ready.

maybe the fact that matt appeared so totally uncomfortable in the system last year is why we didn't do it more, and hopefully the preseason wasn't an indicator that he hasn't gotten better with it

I think if Kyle does it it'll be in hurry up more than just no huddle

21 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The hurry up hurts you if you make a lot of substitutes on defense like we do.

We only sub dline like everybody does. 1st we'd match personnel tho so if an offense has 2 wr's a TE and 2 backs we'd be in base. There's no way they could catch us wrong if they no huddle. If the come out in 3 wide we'll bring out a nickel personnel so if they no huddled we'd still matchup. The only thing we wouldn't be able to sub is dline. 

Hurry up hurts from the sheer speed of it. Defense gets tired. 

22 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The no huddle offense...I want it, and I want it now!

No huddle the way we ran it isn't what hurt. Catching the defense in wrong personnel was. The way defenses sub now no huddle isn't that simple anymore. They'll be matched up from the jump. Hurry up is another story. 

1 minute ago, WornOutFalconFan said:

We must be cursed.

How do we have a top 5 offense and rock bottom defense for years.

We finally get a coach to turn our defense around and the offense crumbles.

Was Tony G. really that big of a game changer?

See that's the misconception there. We never had a rock bottom defense during smiths era except 2013 and 14. We were a top scoring defense for most of smitty's tenure. An opportunistic defense as well. 

7 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

See that's the misconception there. We never had a rock bottom defense during smiths era except 2013 and 14. We were a top scoring defense for most of smitty's tenure. An opportunistic defense as well. 

You are right i was playing down our defense back then. They weren't world beaters.

What I meant was a defense you could count on to hold the lead and win games when the offense was off. 

26 minutes ago, WornOutFalconFan said:

We must be cursed.

How do we have a top 5 offense and rock bottom defense for years.

We finally get a coach to turn our defense around and the offense crumbles.

Was Tony G. really that big of a game changer?

Tony was a big part but you also have to remember how we used to use the no huddle.

We would have the same personnel but they would be constantly be moved around to see how the defense lined up.  For example Tony would line up as a 'traditional' TE one play and then split out wide the next play.  They would even split out Turner wide every now and then.

That's what I think Matt is really missing.  Taking the same personnel from play to play and having them shift around and see how the defense is responding.

1 minute ago, sonnyjim said:

How so?  If a no huddle offence goes 3 and out you need a generally rested defense to go out after a short breather.

And therein lies the rub.  The Bucs used the no-huddle to great effect in PS3 against Cleveland.  Not much of a test, I know, but Koetter loves it and  Winston showed that he can handle it so I have no doubt that Atlanta will see it.  Should be an interesting chess match.

1 minute ago, JOEinPHX said:

And therein lies the rub.  The Bucs used the no-huddle to great effect in PS3 against Cleveland.  Not much of a test, I know, but Koetter loves it and  Winston showed that he can handle it so I have no doubt that Atlanta will see it.  Should be an interesting chess match.

I doubt they run a lot if it tho. We typically didn't use it much on the road because of crowd noise. They'll be on the road so if we see it it'll be minimal. Especially if it doesn't work the 1st go round. 

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of it this Sunday...

However I think it's going to be Tampa running it.

I REALLY hope we win.  Otherwise if we lose to our old OC running a no huddle when our current OC refuses... AND a Mike Smith defense....

This would be a horrible way to start the season.

Denver announced they were going with their rookie QB because he showed good decision making  with audibles on the line of scrimmage.  Our veteran All Pro is discouraged from deviating from OC's hunches.

Just now, TheFatboi said:

I doubt they run a lot if it tho. We typically didn't use it much on the road because of crowd noise. They'll be on the road so if we see it it'll be minimal. Especially if it doesn't work the 1st go round. 

Crowd noise?  The Georgia Dome?  Surely they're not still pumping it in.