4 TEs: I Predict a New "Shanny-Pack" to improve Redzone TDs and Rushing

I know, we were vanilla in the preseason... But when's the last time we had almost as many receivers as TEs? Talk about attack of the seams: Two of them are really just big receiving mis-matches who can run and catch well (Tamme, Perkins), one blocks very well (Toilolo) and one is balanced (Hooper). I think Shanny might have something new up his sleeves, like the first 6 games of last year, that he hasn't shown yet.

Old Article: Falcons tight ends may flourish under Shanahan

Quote from article: "When Shanahan was hired in Atlanta, he spoke of how highly he thought of the tight end position. "You'd love to go four receivers every single play, maybe five receivers. But it makes it a lot easier for the defense when they know you have to throw it," said Shanahan. "The more times fullbacks go off the field or tight ends go off the field, it limits your run options which makes you not as balanced.

"So the threat of a tight end who could be out there, which opens up your run game, but also is a threat and a matchup in the pass game, and it makes it a lot easier for a play caller, it makes it easier for the o-linemen, for everybody, because it's hard in this league if you become one-dimensional.""

Did he take a few ideas out of New England's playbook? We'll see but I'm predicting something neat.

Old Article: The Patriots have another unusual formation, and it could be a nightmare to defenses

Here was a post of mine from just after the draft:

As many here know, Shanny has historically utilized a Two TE set. Last year we lacked the personnel to run one effectively, especially in red zone situations. Toilolo was virtually one dimensional as a good blocker and in red zone area Tamme was useless as a blocker and receiver (Tamme 1 TD, Toilolo 0 TDs, Roddy 1 TD)  The Two TE set was easily defensed last year. Hooper and Sanu  change everything.

This year, especially in goalline situations or short fields, you put 6'8" Tolilolo and 6'4" Hooper in on double TE set , 6'3" Julio, 6'2" Sanu on the outside with Freeman in backfield, defenses will have no idea if you are running or passing. 

The collective height and strength of these 4 receivers and proficient run blocking ability of both Hooper and Toilolo,  with All Pro Alex Mack making the line calls and Freeman in backfield is going to present very, very  difficult challenges for defenses. You can no longer triple team Julio becuase Hooper and Sanu can make plays here. No matter what personnel the defense puts on the field, we can counter it in this formation. I even expect Toilolo to be standing all by himself in end zone some plays and Ryan said Toilolo has really improved.

Folks, Two TE set or not, our red zone offense is going to be dramatically better with Hooper and Sanu on the field with Julio. I expect us to be in the top 5 in scoring offense this year. We moved the ball great last year, now Ryan has the pieces to score when we get down close instead of getting bogged down.

The Patriots  mastered the 2 TE set with Gronkowsk and Hernandez, it was almost impossible to defense them when both those guys were on their games. We don't have TEs anywhere near that talented, but Hooper has a shot at being very good next year.

The  reason the Patriots traded so much for Martellus Bennett was to add a dang good TE who can coach and block to go along with Gronkowsi. 

When TEs can catch and block it presents enormously difficult challenges to a defenses if you have two on field at same time that can do both.

Just now, SirCzah said:

Very insightful read.  I came in with a feeling that we might drop back to 3 TEs after Collins returns.  This story might give me cause to reconsider.

I think Golston is the guy getting cut when Collins return. By then Neal will be back and there is really no need to have 3 SS's, especially when Therizie can play SS also.

43 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

I think Golston is the guy getting cut when Collins return. By then Neal will be back and there is really no need to have 3 SS's, especially when Therizie can play SS also.

You have a good point and the thought crossed my mind as well.  I just know that Ish and Neal (college) have a history of getting dinged up and the SS position is important in Quinn's scheming.  The way things are looking, we may need Therizie to play FS if Allen doesn't continue to improve.

18 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

This could present some problems, not doubt.  We are clamoring for some redzone efficiency this season.  

Man oh man do we need to dial up red zone efficiency!  We can move the ball (5th in NFL n yards) we just need to score once down there. We have way more viable targets this year in red zone, I think we fixed the main problem which was lack of viable targets with only Julio and Freeman. Now add Hardy, Hooper, Sanu and the other TEs.

23 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

I had forgotten about Therizie, thanks for that reminder. He had a decent offseason too didn't he?