Falcons confirm Deion Jones and De'Vondre Campbell will start Week 1

FentayeJones

Falcons confirm Deion Jones and De'Vondre Campbell will start Week 1

Atlanta Falcons rookie linebackers Deion Jones and De'Vondre Campbell will start Week 1, head coach Dan Quinn confirmed.

WHAT IT MEANS:

Quinn made it clear veterans Paul Worrilow and Sean Weatherspoon would see snaps as well, but the Falcons have to get faster on defense, and the two athletic rookies bring plenty of speed. It is only a matter of time before the rookies dominate the linebacker snaps full-time.

Our algorithms project the Falcons defense to rank about 19th in Defensive Net Expected Points this year. In Week 1 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, we expect Jones and Campbell to put up at least 5-6 tackles each.

Source: Rotoworld.com

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/28101/falcons-confirm-deion-jones-and-de-vondre-campbell-will-start-week-1?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=dlvr.it_fi

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sink or swim especially for Jones he's going to have to be able to get us lined up correctly and I think teams will test him with hurry up and no-huddle.Speed is one thing but getting guys in the right spots and diagnosing making in game adjustments are going to be key.Ican definitely see us taking some pain here while these guys get up to speed.

10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

It's sink or swim especially for Jones he's going to have to be able to get us lined up correctly and I think teams will test him with hurry up and no-huddle.Speed is one thing but getting guys in the right spots and diagnosing making in game adjustments are going to be key.Ican definitely see us taking some pain here while these guys get up to speed.

He might struggle some with that in early going, but jones has a very high football I.Q.

I like the idea of throwing them into the fire.  Offenses arent nearly as good in the beginning weeks so this is the best time for them to be gaining experience and taking meaningful snaps.

However, Im really just not a fan of Jones.  He's gotta prove his physicality and that tackling can be consistent.  Otherwise he'll just be another Weatherspoon.

28 minutes ago, Vandy said:

He might struggle some with that in early going, but jones has a very high football I.Q.

There are definitely going to be some "ugly" moments, but we have had plenty of those with vets too.  Another thing they have to learn is how to utilize their speed at this level.  They are undersized and won't get away with half of the things they did in college.  Bulking up, angles, explosion and technique are all things that will take time too, so patience will be required.