3 Falcons Who Earned Their Keep In The Preseason

FentayeJones

3 Falcons Who Earned Their Keep In The Preseason

Posted 6 hours ago

Andrew Hirsh

atlantafalcons.com

The Falcons’ 53-man roster took shape on Saturday following the last round of cuts. Here are three newcomers who, thanks to resilient mindsets and impressive work throughout the summer, earned spots on the team

LaRoy Reynolds: A powerful linebacker who can get downfield quickly, Reynolds has carved out an important role on special teams. He made a number of impressive plays on the kick/punt unit during the preseason and was a captain for the exhibition finale against Jacksonville.

Last week, head coach Dan Quinn said the Falcons “really want to make special teams a priority and give it its due and respect,” and keeping Reynolds on the 53-man roster shows that commitment is genuine.

Brian Poole: A versatile defensive back at the University of Florida, Poole made a strong first impression in Atlanta with his fierce, hard-hitting brand of football. He made some opportune tackles in the last four weeks — two of which were stops — and could be a factor at nickel back right away.

Quinn recently compared Poole’s rise to Ricardo Allen’s, and it’s easy to see why: Both are highly motivated athletes who have proved a lot of people wrong by seizing big opportunities.

Joshua Perkins: From the start of training camp, Perkins has stood out in the passing game as a tight end with surefire hands and good length. He continued to make plays over the middle throughout the summer, catching five passes for 65 yards in four games. He became a factor on special teams, as well, notching a pair of tackles in the preseason.

Tight ends are important in Kyle Shanahan’s system, and although Jacob Tamme and Austin Hooper will be the primary targets at that position, Perkins has the raw ability needed to work his way into the offense.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/3-Falcons-Who-Earned-Their-Keep-in-the-Preseason/e66def04-12c1-446f-a98f-780a6fcd7953

14 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Guess we could have passed on Hooper and got Perkins. Hooper needs to take those mickey mouse gloves off, it's not working. He might just need a year, I know he didn't get to camp until late.

Maybe, but I like the way Hooper moves with and without the ball. I think he will develop and if Perkins develops nicely as well, we'll have 2 nice options at TE, helping us let go of the NFL's most hated man sooner than later. 

56 minutes ago, YoungHeezy said:

I wonder if Perkins is going to be active on game days 

I wonder more if he's even going to stay long on the active roster. If he does, then that means we don't want to risk losing him and is seen as the replacement for Tamme in 2017 in the H-back/Move TE role; while Hooper is the more traditional 2-way TE that can block and catch.

But even if he stays on the 53 man roster all year, I think the only way we see him active is if Tamme or Hooper are injured.

1 hour ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Maybe, but I like the way Hooper moves with and without the ball. I think he will develop and if Perkins develops nicely as well, we'll have 2 nice options at TE, helping us let go of the NFL's most hated man sooner than later. 

Lol when has he moved with the ball?

6 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Doesn't Kaepernick hold that title now?

Edited by jlrfalcon

Hooper would be held in much higher esteem here had he not dropped a couple touchdown passes. He didn't do that in practice or in college so I don't know what was wrong, but I think he will be fine to be the starting tight end by next season. We will probably work him in like we did with Hardy last year and give him a big role towards the end of the season as he gets a hang of NFL speed 

13 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Hooper made some good special teams tackles in the preseason. I'm thinking that is where he's gonna be seeing a lot of PT while he fixes the holes in his hands.

5 hours ago, Brilliance said:

Hooper made some good special teams tackles in the preseason. I'm thinking that is where he's gonna be seeing a lot of PT while he fixes the holes in his hands.

His problem is kinda like QB Ryan last year in learning this offense..he's thinking too much instead of using his instincts. 

He's talented, but Probably next season before he makes some impact at TE.....