Falcons Practice Squad

atlbaby

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many players on the practice squad?

10 - It was previously 8, but in 2014, the NFL changed it to 10 for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. This offseason they extended the rule.

How is a player eligible for the practice squad?

In order to be eligible for the practice squad, players must meet one of the following requirements:

• Have no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL (An accrued season is six or more games on the active roster);
  • Have one prior Accrued Season in which the player was on the 45-man active roster for no more than 8 games;
  • Each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of 4 Practice Squad players who have earned no more than 2 accrued seasons of free agency credit;
  • If served two seasons on a practice squad, are eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment.
  • A player has served one season on the practice squad if he is on the practice squad for at least 6 games. The rule previously required 3 games on the practice squad roster.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/9/3/12787704/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility-49ers-roster-cuts

One other note about players released with injury settlements: a team can not sign a player that they released until the injury period + 3 weeks has expired. In other words players such as, Wildes, Ratelle, and Gray, can not be signed to the Falcon's initial practice squad. The following are players that I think will be placed on the Falcons initial practice squad, if they clear waivers:

QB Matt Simms

WR JD McKissic

S Sharrod Neasman

DE Nordly Capi

DT Joey Mbu

CB/WR Corey Washington

TE D.J. Tialavea

Not sure I think they are going to p.squad Capi. If they wanted to do that, they probably would have waited to cut him on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Also not sure they put Tialavea on it either. I suspect we are still going to cut Perkins with the intention of putting him on the p.squad at some point.

September 4: Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.

September 4: Upon receipt of the Personnel Notice at approximately 1:00 p.m., New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of 10 players. No club, including the playerâs prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a Practice Player Contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such playerâs prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000677028/article/important-nfl-dates-for-201617

Waiver Wire Priority

The Waiver Wire priority is the same as the 2016 NFL Draft order, without the trades of course.

1. TEN
  2. CLE
  3. SD
  4. DAL
  5. JAX
  6. BAL
  7. SF
  8. MIA
  9. TB
  10. NYG
  11. CHI
  12. NO
  13. PHI
  14. OAK
  15. LAR
  16. DET
  17. ATL
  18. IND
  19. BUF
  20. NYJ
  21. WAS
  22. HOU
  23. MIN
  24. CIN
  25. PIT
  26. SEA
  27. GB
  28. KC
  29. NE
  30. ARI
  31. CAR
  32. DEN

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Not sure I think they are going to p.squad Capi. If they wanted to do that, they probably would have waited to cut him on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Also not sure they put Tialavea on it either. I suspect we are still going to cut Perkins with the intention of putting him on the p.squad at some point.

I think they did that to give him the opportunity to catch on a 53 elsewhere.

If he doesn't then he is on ps. Jmo.

7 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

Is Simms eligible? He's been around a while.

I posted the following in an earlier topic thread:

Some might question whether QB Matt Simms is eligible for the Practice Squad, since he was on the Jets PS in 2014 and the Falcons PS in 2015, and played in 3 regular season games with the Jets during the 2013 season. I've read articles saying that Simms is eligible for a third year on a practice squad. I believe the following rule and exception applies to Simms:

" A player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons; he is eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment, or have no prior accrued seasons in the NFL (an accrued season is six or more games on the active roster); or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience on a club's 53-man active roster. If the player was on the active list for fewer than 9 games during their "only Accrued Season(s)", he maintains his eligibility for the practice squad. "

1 hour ago, jimifalcon said:

just get simms and mckissic at all costs.question here,can a player refuse a team so that he can play on a team he wants too?

player is free to sign where ever he wants to. How many are going to turn down an offer from someone though unless they KNOW ahead of time the team they want to play on wants them, and if they do know that ahead of time, is that considered tampering? 

or in other words, can a team tell a guy, we're going to stash you on the practice squad and develop you for the future, and if they do that, is it against the anti tampering rules?