Team Looking good

Slappywhite

OK, first off I'm a homer, but I have to say, this team is starting to look good to me.  The acqusition of Kemp has helped tremendously for Freddy. The thing is his defense is as bad as advertised, but imagine us obtaining a similar hitting  LF with defensive skills in the offseason, either via trade or FA,  Freeman looks like he's on his way to superstardom, Swanson is as good as advertised, i love Inciarte in CF, The 3rd basemans name escapes me now but he has shown great improvement offensively and more importantly defensively,  Albies will be ready for 2nd base either next year or 2018, and we have some great arms here now and in our minor leagues. It really reminds me of the 91 team. I know our growth seems slow to most, but I think good times are coming and they're coming a lot faster than most believe. Go Braves!!!

Folty/Wisler hopefully showing signs of finishing strong and turning the corner into guys you can expect regular good starts from to go with Tehran... Kemp supposedly has been working hard before games and has stated he will be working this off season to be in better shape going into next year. If he can at least trim up a little gain a little bit more mobility he will be okay in LF especially since his presence does seem to help give Freeman more chances at hitable pitches and Freeman is a absolute monster when you have to pitch to him. Adonis is putting in Solid work and with him and Jace/Rio Ruiz going into Spring Training it doesn't make 3rd base a top priority to throw big money into... Starters/Catchers/Corner Outfields in my Opinion are where money could go... Trading Markakis and getting a decent RF power bat and rolling with a OF of Kemp,Inciarte, M.Smith and Trade/FA Power RF would be pretty sweet.

21 minutes ago, malak07 said:

Folty/Wisler hopefully showing signs of finishing strong and turning the corner into guys you can expect regular good starts from to go with Tehran... Kemp supposedly has been working hard before games and has stated he will be working this off season to be in better shape going into next year. If he can at least trim up a little gain a little bit more mobility he will be okay in LF especially since his presence does seem to help give Freeman more chances at hitable pitches and Freeman is a absolute monster when you have to pitch to him. Adonis is putting in Solid work and with him and Jace/Rio Ruiz going into Spring Training it doesn't make 3rd base a top priority to throw big money into... Starters/Catchers/Corner Outfields in my Opinion are where money could go... Trading Markakis and getting a decent RF power bat and rolling with a OF of Kemp,Inciarte, M.Smith and Trade/FA Power RF would be pretty sweet.

Thank you, Adonis is his name lol.  Totally agree with your assessment  I love the kid Mallex Smith, as the 4th OF,  but we do need a power hitting RF and a catcher, although Recker has been a good stop gap till we get one and will make a decent back up , he doesnt get enough credit for throwing out runners, usually he makes a good throw, but rarely has a chance because the pitchers inability to keep them close. I love where the team is headed, I think we're contenders next year and surprise a lot of doubters.   A couple of names who may be available who could really help us  Andrew Mccutchen and Will Myers .

7 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

Thank you, Adonis is his name lol.  Totally agree with your assessment  I love the kid Mallex Smith, as the 4th OF,  but we do need a power hitting RF and a catcher, although Recker has been a good stop gap till we get one and will make a decent back up , he doesnt get enough credit for throwing out runners, usually he makes a good throw, but rarely has a chance because the pitchers inability to keep them close. I love where the team is headed, I think we're contenders next year and surprise a lot of doubters.   A couple of names who may be available who could really help us  Andrew Mccutchen and Will Myers .

I got another name that could be wrangled away J.D Martinez from Detroit going into a Contract year next year we could come in with a very strong prospect offer and the ability to lock him up long-term in the deal. Would look very good in that 5th hole with Freeman/Kemp and we have Mallex as the 4th OF. Detroit is pretty heavy in OF prospects near ready and some decent current OFs they maybe could be interested in getting talent instead losing him or paying big time and stalemate prospects.

Edited by malak07

Just now, malak07 said:

I got another name that could be wrangled away J.D Martinez from Detroit going into a Contract year next year we could come in with a very strong prospect offer and the ability to lock him up long-term in the deal. Would look very good in that 5th hole with Freeman/Kemp and we have Mallex as the 4th OF. 

Liking it !!!! Wanted to ask about Will Myers, he's listed as a 1st baseman for San Diego, isn't he ( or was ) an exceptional OF'er ?

Just now, Slappywhite said:

Liking it !!!! Wanted to ask about Will Myers, he's listed as a 1st baseman for San Diego, isn't he ( or was ) an exceptional OF'er ?

From looking at stats and what I recall he's pretty good in RF/LF nothing extraordinary but would be fine with him as well.

1 minute ago, Slappywhite said:

Looked it up, I had thought he'd won a Gold Glove while with the Rays, was wrong, but was surprised that Kemp won a Gold Glove in 2011 lol. 

That Gold Glove was for playing centerfield too. Five years ago, Matt Kemp was a 5-tool stud. His 2011 season was monsterous: .324/.399/.586, 39 HR (NL leader), 115 runs (NL leader), 126 RBI (MLB leader), 40 stolen bases, 11 OF assists, All-Star, Gold Glove, 2nd in MVP voting behind 'roided-up Ryan Braun.

It was that season that got him his 8Y/160M extension from Los Angeles that the Atlanta Braves now own. The next season missed two months with hamstring problems, then when he got back he slammed into the wall and banged up both knees and tore his labrum and damaged his rotator cuff. This took a lot out of his arm.

After getting off-season surgery to repair his shoulder, Kemp started out slow in 2013 and started to get boo'd in Los Angeles. He had more hamstring problems; when he got back, he injured his ankle on a play at home plate. He played through it, and the ankle never really recovered. It was late diagnosed that he had microfracture of a load-bearing bone and that continued playing could cause the ankle to break and jeopardize his career. Once again, he had off-season surgery, this time to fix his ankle.

Kemp began the 2014 season on the disabled list recovering from his various ailments. When he returns, it became clear his mobility was too limited to allow him to play center field. He was moved to left field, but publicly complained about the move. He ended up playing right field. Offensively he had a bit of a rebound, but sabermetric analysis showed that he had become such a liability of defense that it essentially negated most of his offensive value. His contract was now considered one of the worst in the league.

That offseason, the Dodgers trade Kemp to the Padres. The Padres physical revealed that Kemp had chronic arthritis in both hips, but the deal went through anyway.