Falcons' Bryan Cox: Yelling, cursing wrong approach with Vic Beasley Jr.

atljbo

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/22205/falcons-bryan-cox-yelling-cursing-wrong-approach-with-vic-beasley

Falcons' Bryan Cox: Yelling, cursing wrong approach with Vic Beasley Jr.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox, known for his profanity-laced tirades, discovered such was the wrong approach to take toward pass-rusher Vic Beasley Jr.

"No, it doesn't work, because he tunes you out," Cox said of Beasley. "Vic is as different a player as I've ever been around in terms of he's a man of God. He pulls on that often. And when you get to a place where you are in his ear, he just tunes out the chatter. He doesn't listen to it.

"So, the best way is to have a conversation and get him to get on the same page: 'Tell me what just happened and tell me what you saw. Here's what I saw. How would you do it different?' He's different in that way. And that's not good or bad. That's who he is."

Cox said he learned more about Beasley's demeanor following a defensive line trip to Miami at the end of last season.

"I got to know a lot more of the guys on an intimate and a personal level, knowing their personalities away from the building," Cox said. "We weren't here, and we weren't dealing with the stress of the season. We spent four or five days just chilling. I got a chance to know him in ways I hadn't previously discovered."

Cox has gotten into sideline scuffles with at least two players -- Ra'Shede Hageman and former defensive tackle Corey Peters. Plus cursing out a player, again, is just part of his regular routine. But Cox was cautious to change his tone with Beasley.

"Because if I keep trying to do the same thing and the same approach and it's not working, that makes me a dumb coach," Cox said. "So I've got to try and do something different. And my wife likes to say, 'If you do the same thing over and over and expect a different result, that's insane.' And I believe her."

Beasley agreed with Cox's assessment of him, to a degree.

"The coaches understand the players that they coach, and over the year, me and Cox have really been able to grow and develop a relationship," Beasley said. "He knows me, and that is a way that I do respond to coaches.

"Really, I have had both worlds. I had Coach (Marion) Hobby at Clemson, and he was on me hard. Every coach I've had has been a tough coach. I know they're just trying to get the best out of me."

Beasley admitted he shies away from the cursing aspect because of his religious beliefs.

"I try not to curse, and I try to speak positive things out of my mouth," he said. "That's just me, and that's the way I grew up."

The bottom line is the Falcons have to find a way to motivate Beasley to play at a higher level. He led the team with four sacks as a rookie last season, but the former eighth-overall pick was far from a force while playing through a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

This preseason, Beasley has struggled to make an impact while transitioning to strongside linebacker and dealing with a sprained AC joint in the same shoulder. His frustration was evident following last week's 17-6 preseason loss to Miami.

So what's the solution to getting Beasley going?

"I don't think that he's not going," Cox said. "It's not about one man. It's about our unit. When you look at the tape from last year, he had several opportunities off the edge where the quarterback was able to step up and he didn't get the pressure or the sack, and a lot of people made a lot of it. But I don't buy into it. I believe in Vic as much as I believe in my son."

I like coach Cox attitude but our D-lineman has to show improvement... I no longer think its about lack of talent .. we need production... One of my favorite ppl to read is Stephen White and he recently had this to say in a article about  Rasheed Hageman

Now, I can't stick Hageman with all the blame here. As I look at the Falcons defensive linemen over the last two years, I haven't exactly seen anybody else's technique get that much better either.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love and commend Vic for being a man of God.  That's A1 in my book.

Gotta know how to flip that switch during the game though.  I have yet to see that aspect from him.

It's a man's league.  A lot of those men on the field are men of God.  Reggie White was a man of God, but he knew how to flip that switch on Sundays.

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

Gotta know how to flip that switch during the game though.  I have yet to see that aspect from him.

It's a man's league.  A lot of those men on the field are men of God.  Reggie White was a man of God, but he knew how to flip that switch on Sundays.

Honestly i think it has ZERO to do with his faith or aggression.... Aggression is there.... Its about a guy that has been a DE for like 3 and a half years (out of his whole life) learning to use his tools.... He just needs to continue to develop

5 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I would prefer him (and all of our players) to be secular, science-oriented fellas, but whatevs. 

3 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Honestly i think it has ZERO to do with his faith or aggression.... Aggression is there.... Its about a guy that has been a DE for like 3 and a half years (out of his whole life) learning to use his tools.... He just needs to continue to develop

I disagree about the development.  Being a DE for only 3 years didnt stop him from piling up stats in college.  He wasn't considered a developmental player.  Bud Dupree was a developmental player.  Beasley was drafted 8th on the premise that he was already a dynamic player that was in tune with his skills.

I think that he's finding out he cant get by as he did in college with just speed and that has led to a lack of aggression.  It is not my intention to question another man's faith and how he goes about employing it in his life.  Im just saying that many faithful men have played football on Sundays with a vigor,  fire and purpose that Beasley has not shown yet.

what the frigg man...it sounds like Cox and Vic are having a love affair

jesus cox, if vic isnt responding to your loud mouth, put your foot in his ***. dont treat him like hes your baby girl. Meanwhile Hageman is over there crying in the corner cause you ripped him a new one while you and Vic are holding hands skipping through daisies. 

22 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I read one time that someone asked Reggie White how he, as a Christian and a preacher, could be so tough and mean  on the football field and he quoted the scripture that 'the meek shall inherit the earth' and he was just fulfilling that....bahahahaha.

31 minutes ago, atljbo said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/22205/falcons-bryan-cox-yelling-cursing-wrong-approach-with-vic-beasley

I like coach Cox attitude but our D-lineman has to show improvement... I no longer think its about lack of talent .. we need production... One of my favorite ppl to read is Stephen White and he recently had this to say in a article about  Rasheed Hageman

Jarret has improved. If hags consistently plays DT I Think you'd see much more out of him. 

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

I disagree about the development.  Being a DE for only 3 years didnt stop him from piling up stats in college.  He wasn't considered a developmental player.  Bud Dupree was a developmental player.  Beasley was drafted 8th on the premise that he was already a dynamic player that was in tune with his skills.

I think that he's finding out he cant get by as he did in college with just speed and that has led to a lack of aggression.  It is not my intention to question another man's faith and how he goes about employing it in his life.  Im just saying that many faithful men have played football on Sundays with a vigor,  fire and purpose that Beasley has not shown yet.

Never said he was thought of as a developmental player.. I said he needs to continue to develop.... 2 totally different things

Also not to you but in general .. PPl are over reacting over a freakin preason game... Last year the guy got sacks against some of the best tackles in the league and had to pass rush vs top tier tackles last year.... The guy was also the best rookie rusher  last year and the dude was held ALOT last year

Back to the discussion

college is a different game then the NFL.. You can get away with pure speed in college.. In the NFL.. You cant just go speed all the time.. The will just push you around that arc... You need technique, hand usage... You have to know how to set up a tackle rather you are using your speed rush,bull rush, spin move.... You also need more then one move to depend on.

The NFL is a different beast... He has the get off and speed to be one of the better rushers but he has to continue to develop.

I just disagree that he lacks fire.. I dont see that.. I see a guy who has to continue to learn to use his skillset

22 minutes ago, atlGM said:

Jarret has improved. If hags consistently plays DT I Think you'd see much more out of him. 

jarrett who has been a DT.. Also grady was good last year.. he should have seen more snaps last year

Beasley didnt have a bad season last year.. the man was held alot and was the best rushers of the rookies last year... The guy just needs to continue to develop.... I still think he produce 8-10 sacks.

PPl are over reacting over a freaking preseason game.... The season hasnt even started yet.. So we dont know how much any player has developed over last year yet... Im excited to see

IDK.. i just dont get it

40 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

This is one of the biggest differences between college and the pros.....you can win strictly with athleticism in college. It's much more difficult to do that in the pros. So I guess I don't understand how you can appeal to the "stats" in college, question why he would need to develop, and then, in the next breath, talk about him winning with just speed. Those two ideas don't work well together. 

This isnt about "fire and purpose." This is about getting better at his craft.  

54 minutes ago, Falcon Ben said:

I would prefer him (and all of our players) to be secular, science-oriented fellas, but whatevs. 

Wow, just wow.... The KJV Bible is correct and the greatest book on earth..It is still the number one selling book on earth and will continue to be until the King returns. we are in the last days. You just proved it with your reply. I would like to nicely ask you to read my sig,, Every story is a true story...  I'm an evangelist.. If you would like to know how to receive the greatest gift on earth for free,, please PM me.. I love to show people the Way, the Truth, and The life.  BTW , Beasley is my Brother ,,, if you don't believe me. Ask him. 

1 minute ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

I don't subscribe to any of that religious stuff. If you wanna use it as a crutch or a pedestal to justify job performance, that's on you. But if you are not able to do your job, it certainly won't be because of your "faith".

Bottom line, who cares. Rush the passer. get him to the ground for a sack.

whats funny is beasley never brought up religion... others are.... and i agree.. rush the passer

I have zero idea how religion has anything to do with this

6 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Wow, just wow.... The KJV Bible is correct and the greatest book on earth..It is still the number one selling book on earth and will continue to be until the King returns. we are in the last days. You just proved it with your reply. I would like to nicely ask you to read my sig,, Every story is a true story...  I'm an evangelist.. If you would like to know how to receive the greatest gift on earth for free,, please PM me.. I love to show people the Way, the Truth, and The life.  BTW , Beasley is my Brother ,,, if you don't believe me. Ask him. 

Every story is a true story? How about citations? How about documentation to back them up?

13 minutes ago, atljbo said:

whats funny is beasley never brought up religion... others are.... and i agree.. rush the passer

I mean the whole article has religious undertones.  Maybe I misread.  Beasley walks a very faith driven life according to various accounts which is awesome in my eyes.  It wouldn't be too farfetched to believe he ties his religion to his performance/job.

At the end of the day he had to step up and prove he is capable.  I didnt mean to say that he was a developmental player, but that he was assumed to be further along in his development.  That's the reason he was taken at pick 8.  

19 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

This just makes me sad. Good luck, my man. 

24 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Well, Vaughn certainly implies that he did:

Beasley admitted he shies away from the cursing aspect because of his religious beliefs.

"I try not to curse, and I try to speak positive things out of my mouth," he said. "That's just me, and that's the way I grew up."

4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

No one likes being cursed or yelled at. Obviously that approach isn't working with anyone.

Maybe a new coach is in order.

Well , I have to admit,, I can't watch and listen to Cox coach,, Like Vick, It grieves my Spirit . I had a boss once who would curse loud when something went wrong. He knew I was a Christian... And I told him,, He understood and appoligized, I would have left that job of 10 years if he had not given that respect. People take as much as they want too. That's something no one should have to put up with, And Cox even knows that,, I appreciate how he responded, I knew this was going to happen , it was just a matter of time.. I'll say publicly ,,

*************************Thank you Coach Cox for understanding our faith. I applaud you... Nice surprise**********************************