Tony Dungy on Falcons

Good read by AJC. Other than Tony's perspective on our team the J.R. Sweezy part caught my eye. Not sure how hard we were pursuing but I'd rather not sign Upshaw and figure some way to pay that man. It looks like the Buccs outbid us for sweezy. Overall I'm glad we went into FA looking to upgrade our lines. 

SN: They caught Bedwetter on tape and I don't understand how he has maintained our beatwriter job for so long. 

http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/31/cover-99-dungy-falcons-must-take-some-pressure-off-matt-ryan/

Dungy believes the key for the Falcons is their rushing attack.

“Offensively, I think the really have to continue to do some things to take some pressure off Matt Ryan,” Dungy said. “Matt is a tremendous quarterback. They had success in the passing game, but they are going to have to be complete and run the football well. …I think he’s bringing that mindset in. Very much like what they did in Seattle, have a strong physical running attack, throw the ball very well and very efficiently and then fly around on defense.”

:slick:+1 Dungy.

The pertinent part of the article:

1. Dungy believes Falcons can make some noise in NFC South. Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy, a NBC analyst, was at the Falcons’ last exhibition game against the Miami Dolphins in Orlando.

He was hoping to see his old pupil Dwight Freeney play, but the sackmaster was held out with a back injury.

Dungy went on 92.9 The Game’s Dukes and Bell show and discussed what he thought of the Falcons on Tuesday.

He believes Freeney can still play.

“I’ll tell you this, coach (Dan) Quinn is really fired up about the speed he’s getting on defense,” Dungy said. “Those young linebackers and secondary people that he’s drafted, he wants to be a fast team. I think Dwight is going to help him in that regard.”

The Falcons didn’t play well against the Dolphins and were defeated 17-6. But Dungy was impressed.

“I liked the energy level,” Dungy said. “I think the players believe in what (Quinn) is really (teaching).  (I) watched them play with energy and enthusiasm the other night. I think that mindset is going to be there.

“He doing things a little bit differently than perhaps Mike Smith did. I know that he loves the way the Seahawks defense was fast and aggressive. He’s building that in.”

“Offensively, I think the really have to continue to do some things to take some pressure off Matt Ryan,” Dungy said. “Matt is a tremendous quarterback. They had success in the passing game, but they are going to have to be complete and run the football well. …I think he’s bringing that mindset in. Very much like what they did in Seattle, have a strong physical running attack, throw the ball very well and very efficiently and then fly around on defense.”

Overall, Dungy stopped just short of saying the Falcons will dethrone the Carolina Panthers in the NFC South.

“I think you’re going to see some good things out of the Falcons,” Dungy said. “This is a great year to be in it. Carolina is a good football team, but I don’t know if they are really a 15-1 team. I think the Falcons are sitting in good shape in this division to make some noise.”

11 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

:slick:+1 Dungy.

Yes, +1 Dungy indeed.

8 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

That it takes a balanced team to win in the NFL? I don't think you will hear any coach anywhere disagree with that...ever.

You can get away with being slightly one dimensional  if you are really great at one thing....we are a good....a very good passing team but we are not at the level where that and that alone can win it all.

I think we've been an overrated passing team the past few years.....Matt + Julio but not much else.....we throw the ball a lot, but only scoring 21 PPG shows we aren't as effective as some here (not mentioning any names) claim we are. 

So you do have to have more than just that.......we were headed in right direction last year until freeman ran out of steam 2nd half of year....hopefully Coleman helps solve that this upcoming year.....

And with our continual upgrade to our defense,  This year could be the most balanced falcons team in recent memory.....which is a very good thing

Edited by Vandy

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Not only is Sweezy not good, he's also way overpaid (he has something like the second highest cap hold for any guard in the league next year....and he's below average) AND he's hurt on the PUP list. 

Yeah I'm not really all that sad about missing out on JR Sweezy. 

I always thought Sweezy was the weak link on that weak Seattle oline.

13 hours ago, TeamPlayer1 said:

When Seattle traded Unger for Graham they have not been the same team.

IDK I think the effect is/was overstated. On the surface, I think that was a very questionable deal (and not the first of those such deals).

But from an effectiveness standpoint, I don't think you can find where it hurt them all that much. 

In terms of offensive DVOA they were:

2015 - 1st overall (2nd in passing 3rd in rushing)
2014 - 5th overall (10th in passing, 1st in rushing)
2013 - 7th overall (8th in passing, 7th in rushing)

Obviously this is a general look at the overall offense so you can't isolate Unger from these numbers. But the offense as a whole as continued to play very well, Thomas Rawls was the most effective rusher in the league in his 6 full time games, and the run blocking/OL splits dont really show a huge drop-off. 

I think if they would want to get anything back from undoing that deal, it would be the first round pick. Can't keep shipping those things out the door.