If the pass rush doesn't improve, should the FO fork over picks for a proven rusher?

xskyx

This pass rush has been as effective as a wet noodle since Abe left. Each year, we hear/say "They can scheme for more sacks or pressure" or "They will/can develope these guys into a good rusher" or "It's the coach's fault"..

At what point you say F it and just trade picks for someone PROVEN (not someone who is surrounded by talent and produces marginally better)?

No, I don't have anyone in mind. No, I don't mean they need to panic and go trade crazy right now.

This is just hypothetical, and highly unlikely to happen.

Keep the draft picks and just draft a pass rusher ourselves. Brian Cox has been the common denominator the last few years in our pathetic pass rush. Fire him, bring in a new DL coach, and go DE/DT/OLB with the first pick. That's the best case scenario.

Just now, SpongeDad said:

Keep the draft picks and just draft a pass rusher ourselves. Brian Cox has been the common denominator the last few years in our pathetic pass rush. Fire him, bring in a new DL coach, and go DE/DT/OLB with the first pick. That's the best case scenario.

My thought was we'd be drafting too high to get an elite pass rusher and would have to use other picks to get into the top ten.

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

My thought was we'd be drafting too high to get an elite pass rusher and would have to use other picks to get into the top ten.

Lure a FA pass rusher next year also. I think we'll be picking in the same spot as last year. A mid first rd DE isn't terrible ;)

2 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

How about getting rid of the common denominator over the last 8 years

49 minutes ago, atlGM said:

How about getting rid of the common denominator over the last 8 years

I dont think TD is selecting or training pass rushers bruh... He may make the pick, but you know he's getting whoever the coach asks for..

I don't think we need an 'elite' pass rusher per se to be effective in our pass rush......I think we have alot of  guys who can get us 3-6 sacks each equating to 35 as a team.......:

Beasley (8)

Freeney (6) 

Clayborn (6)

Reed (5) 

Jarrett/Babs (5) 

Shelby/Hags (5) 

(not counting blitzing LBers and safeties) 

Edited by Vandy

13 minutes ago, jamesmasen said:

Ill take a PROVEN pass rusher for sure right now.. Its been too many years of drafting "pass rushers" that arent proven and have done nothing. We have spent more top picks on pass rushers and gotten jack squat out of it. Trade some picks and get another John Abraham.

So....who do you want to trade for , maybe Chandler Jones of NE for a 1st round pick? BB has made his bones for years trading away and letting vets go once their 'costs' exceed their value to his team and replacing them with younger cheaper talent....that's how you build dynasties (NE), and it's also how you insure mediocrity (us) .....

How soon we forget Ray Edwards........

I think the issue would be is who is out there that is a proven veteran that still has a lot left in the tank and one that would be affordable without selling the farm? The front office doesn't have a stellar record of bringing in personnel that improves us. I am with staying young thru the draft.   

In today's NFL, you have to scheme the rush if you want to get home just rushing 4. It's a team effort on the pass rush and you can't just count on one super pass rusher to get home. Protection schemes are too sophisticated. You could draft 4 of the top pass rushers in the first round and play them across the front and you still wouldn't get to the QB. Stunts and Zone blitzes and 5 or 6 man overload blitzes on occasion are necessary to get the job done. We'll see if they're willing to scheme the pass rush this year and get some sacks. If not, it won't be pretty.