Falcons linebacker Paul Worrilow not reserved about playing different role

Vaughn McClure

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- True to his character as a team player, Atlanta Falcons middle linebacker Paul Worrilow didn't get too caught up in talk of starting or not starting this season.

Worrilow, the team's leading tackler the last three seasons, understood he'd be in a competition from the moment the team drafted speedy Deion Jones. And Worrilow knew Jones would get the majority of the reps throughout the preseason.

Now that the Sept. 11 opener against Tampa Bay is around the corner, Worrilow is ready to accept whatever role the coaches ask him to fulfill.

"Whatever my role is, I'm going to go out there with the mindset to dominate it and be the best that I can," Worrilow said. "I'm not worried about that kind of stuff because this team is so much bigger than an individual. Any role I can get, I want it. And I want to go out there and play well."

The Falcons were intent on improving the speed of the defense, which is why they drafted Jones in the second round after he ran a 4.38 in the 40 at LSU's pro day. Jones' crash course in directing the defense from the middle has led to more special teams duties for Worrilow. The former undrafted player from Delaware earned his opportunity by thriving on special teams during the 2013 preseason.

"I love running down on kickoff and all the coverages," Worrilow said. "All the teams, that's ball. Ball is ball, in my mind. Every snap is all the same to me when I'm out there. If special teams in my opportunity to put the helmet on and go there and run around and hit people and contribute to this team, that's where I'm at."

Of course the prideful side of Worrilow wants to remain on the field in a primary role. He knows the defense probably better than anyone, and the mental edge is something he has on the rookie Jones, although Jones has adjusted quickly.

"I know this defense in and out," Worrilow said, "but I look at it more like whoever is out there, if I'm not out there, if I can be a tool for them -- walkthrough, pointers -- if they come to me with something or something pops up, I can go address it with them. And they know I know what I'm talking about. That's how I look at it.

"Like I said, it's bigger than the individual. This team is awesome, man. The culture here, it's about the team first."

Linebackers coach Jeff Ulbrich appreciates Worrilow's team-first approach.

"Not only has he played great on special teams, but he's be super, super solid on defense," Ulbrich said. "I think he's improved his tackling. His knowledge of the defense has increased. He's doing a great job for us. Plus he's really becoming a mentor for these young guys, doing all those little things behind the scenes.

"I think he's a guy, whether he starts or not, it's not going to change his appetite to start and his hunger to play on this defense. He's an invaluable guy to our team. I've got ton of respect for him not only for what he does on the field, but also what he does off it."

Report: Atlanta Falcons linebacker Paul Worrilow willing to accept back up, special teams roles

By James Rael Aug 30, 2016, 11:19p

Atlanta Falcons linebacker Paul Worrilow gets treated unfairly sometimes. When some fans criticize his ability or, more specifically, a lack thereof, I can't help but sympathize. That sort of criticism really amounts to an unfair knock on Worrilow, given that he's a former UDFA who has far exceeded expectations. In short, it's not his fault the Falcons have been exceptionally thin at linebacker in recent years.

In many ways Worrilow's situation resembles that of former Falcons defensive end/linebacker Kroy Biermann. Biermann, a former fifth round pick, was overused by the Falcons coaching staff and for whatever reason, the fan base took that out on him. But Worrilow has distinguished himself with his selflessness and willingness to do basically whatever it takes to help the team. (Credit to Vaughn McClure for the quote - go read his article now, if you haven't already.)

"I love running down on kickoff and all the coverages," Worrilow said. "All the teams, that's ball. Ball is ball, in my mind. Every snap is all the same to me when I'm out there. If special teams in my opportunity to put the helmet on and go there and run around and hit people and contribute to this team, that's where I'm at."

We see lots of quotes like this throughout the offseason and preseason. But this situation seems more ... authentic. Worrilow really means it when he says he will do whatever it takes to help his team and his teammates.

Your thoughts?

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/8/30/12722934/report-atlanta-falcons-linebacker-paul-worrilow-willing-to-accept

6 minutes ago, theProf said:

Vaughn McClure

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- True to his character as a team player, Atlanta Falcons middle linebacker Paul Worrilow didn't get too caught up in talk of starting or not starting this season.

Worrilow, the team's leading tackler the last three seasons, understood he'd be in a competition from the moment the team drafted speedy Deion Jones. And Worrilow knew Jones would get the majority of the reps throughout the preseason.

Now that the Sept. 11 opener against Tampa Bay is around the corner, Worrilow is ready to accept whatever role the coaches ask him to fulfill.

"Whatever my role is, I'm going to go out there with the mindset to dominate it and be the best that I can," Worrilow said. "I'm not worried about that kind of stuff because this team is so much bigger than an individual. Any role I can get, I want it. And I want to go out there and play well."

The Falcons were intent on improving the speed of the defense, which is why they drafted Jones in the second round after he ran a 4.38 in the 40 at LSU's pro day. Jones' crash course in directing the defense from the middle has led to more special teams duties for Worrilow. The former undrafted player from Delaware earned his opportunity by thriving on special teams during the 2013 preseason.

Of course the prideful side of Worrilow wants to remain on the field in a primary role. He knows the defense probably better than anyone, and the mental edge is something he has on the rookie Jones, although Jones has adjusted quickly.

"I know this defense in and out," Worrilow said, "but I look at it more like whoever is out there, if I'm not out there, if I can be a tool for them -- walkthrough, pointers -- if they come to me with something or something pops up, I can go address it with them. And they know I know what I'm talking about. That's how I look at it.

"Like I said, it's bigger than the individual. This team is awesome, man. The culture here, it's about the team first."

Linebackers coach Jeff Ulbrich appreciates Worrilow's team-first approach.

"Not only has he played great on special teams, but he's be super, super solid on defense," Ulbrich said. "I think he's improved his tackling. His knowledge of the defense has increased. He's doing a great job for us. Plus he's really becoming a mentor for these young guys, doing all those little things behind the scenes.

"I think he's a guy, whether he starts or not, it's not going to change his appetite to start and his hunger to play on this defense. He's an invaluable guy to our team. I've got ton of respect for him not only for what he does on the field, but also what he does off it."

I hope PW truthfully believes that...he ain't a defensive starter.

PW is a trier...everyone loves that.

1 hour ago, theProf said:

This is the kind of attitude, football character, if you will, you want from all the players on your team.

24 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Driving is a privilege...you don't have to be in shape or bust a gut for that.

Privileges are afforded to all, the NFL isn't.

Thank you for the political correctness. ..but i think you know what I meant. ..we all have heard players say it's a privilege to play in the NFL...this is like when a player says I'm a solider. .we know what they mean...most comments can be picked apart...but why do it when the message is clear...

Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

Thank you for the political correctness. ..but i think you know what I meant. ..we all have heard players say it's a privilege to play in the NFL...this is like when a player says I'm a solider. .we know what they mean...most comments can be picked apart...but why do it when the message is clear...

Wasn't meant to pick your comment apart, just clarification of what a privilege is and what it means to be an NFL player.

We are both glad to have PW in some capacity...its not a privilege.

44 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Driving is a privilege...you don't have to be in shape or bust a gut for that.

Privileges are afforded to all, the NFL isn't.

9 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

just clarification of what a privilege is and what it means to be an NFL player.

We are both glad to have PW in some capacity...its not a privilege.

Before correcting someone else, you should make sure you understand what it is you are talking about first. The underlined portion makes it obvious you don't know what the definition of privilege is, because it is in fact the opposite of that. If something were afforded to all, then it wouldn't be a privilege to have it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/privilege

: a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others

RING OF HONOR was accurate in his description.

Edited by RandomFan
5 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Before correcting someone else, you should make sure you understand what it is you are talking about first. The underlined portion makes it obvious you don't know what the definition of privilege is, because it is in fact the opposite of that. If something were afforded to all, then it wouldn't be a privilege to have it.

RING OF HONOR was accurate in his description.

Not a darn thing is given for someone to play in the NFL...false.

Thanks OP.  

" In many ways Worrilow's situation resembles that of former Falcons defensive end/linebacker Kroy Biermann. Biermann, a former fifth round pick, was overused by the Falcons coaching staff and for whatever reason, the fan base took that out on him. But Worrilow has distinguished himself with his selflessness and willingness to do basically whatever it takes to help the team."

This was the best part of the articles to me.  Here's a guy who some folks trashed day in and day out.  Yet he was a UDFA playing way out of his mind for his talent level.  Imagine if top 3 picks elevated their desire to learn & worked as hard as PW has?  We'd have perennial probowlers saturating our team if this were the case.

I always found it amusing how he was vilified, when all the angst should have been directed at the team for not drafting more gifted players at that position.  I always looked at him through this type of lens.  He deserves the props.  

Now he'll continue to overachieve in his new roles.  That's what he does.  He's a fine man imo...  Someone we all should respect.  

1 minute ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Thanks OP.  

" In many ways Worrilow's situation resembles that of former Falcons defensive end/linebacker Kroy Biermann. Biermann, a former fifth round pick, was overused by the Falcons coaching staff and for whatever reason, the fan base took that out on him. But Worrilow has distinguished himself with his selflessness and willingness to do basically whatever it takes to help the team."

This was the best part of the articles to me.  Here's a guy who some folks trashed day in and day out.  Yet he was a UDFA playing way out of his mind for his talent level.  Imagine if top 3 picks elevated their desire to learn & worked as hard as PW has?  We'd have perennial probowlers saturating our team if this were the case.

I always found it amusing how he was vilified, when all the angst should have been directed at the team for not drafting more gifted players at that position.  I always looked at him through this type of lens.  He deserves the props.  

Now he'll continue to overachieve in his new roles.  That's what he does.  He's a fine man imo...  Someone we all should respect.  

He's a beast on special teams. ..and the fact that he likes it is great...

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

He's a beast on special teams. ..and the fact that he likes it is great...

Yeah.  He is.  And it is.

And up until this year, the team had done nothing to put him in this role earlier... So we had an over achieving UDFA linebacker manning the middle of our D for years.  

I am really looking forward to Deion Jones in the middle with Campbell next to him!!