Arthur Blank is in too deep, and that's probably the only silver lining now.

I love Football but I hate cronyism and corporate welfare. When I heard the Falcons were building a new stadium I was ecstatic till I learned the depth of public spending which is now tallying in at 600 million dollars. 

The first thing that came to my mind was the schools. How can I possibly support 600 million in tax dollars helping a man, running a privately owned business, build a cathedral around other grown men playing a game. All the while children 5 miles away from me in the metropolitan area can't find a decent after school program. How can I witness a drug and homelessness epidemic getting worse and worse every day as drive by in my air conditioned vehicle and still endorse giving millions to a man who honestly doesn't give a ****.

I can't. I despise Arthur Blank. I think he is a selfish sycophant who propagates local corruption. 

That being said he is selfish and I still love the Falcons so that works to our benefit. Arthur may have gotten a little help from his buddies who write the laws but he's pretty much all in on the Falcons financially, in the next ten years if our team doesn't show some sign of consistent competitiveness his investments will have been a complete waste. He could easily find himself having to sell the team and admit his structural failures, I don't think that's gonna happen. I think this guy, despite his moral compass, is a really smart f**k. 

So as I watch Matt Ryan throw picks he never would have thrown his rookie year, I know Arthur sees it. When I see a defensive line continue to get manhandled at the point of attack, Arthur isn't blind. This guy is on a mission and even if it is riddled with backdoor political deals he'll take the route.

So fellow Falcons fans what I'm really getting at is, chill out because we have a competitive owner. Yeah our schools are underfunded and our populous is suffering from drug addiction and homelessness, but someday we'll have a good Football team.

Maybe that helps some of us rest easier :).

Edited by HairyArabFalconFan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, HairyArabFalconFan said:

I love Football but I hate cronyism and corporate welfare. When I heard the Falcons were building a new stadium I was ecstatic till I learned the depth of public spending which is now tallying in at 600 million dollars. 

The first thing that came to my mind was the schools. How can I possibly support 600 million in tax dollars helping a man, running a privately owned business, build a cathedral around other grown men playing a game. All the while children 5 miles away from me in the metropolitan area can't find a decent after school program. How can I witness a drug and homelessness epidemic getting worse and worse every day as drive by in my air conditioned vehicle and still endorse giving millions to a man who honestly doesn't give a ****.

I can't. I despise Arthur Blank. I think he is a selfish sycophant who propagates local corruption. 

That being said he is selfish and I still love the Falcons so that works to our benefit. Arthur may have gotten a little help from his buddies who write the laws but he's pretty much all in on the Falcons financially, in the next ten years if our team doesn't show some sign of consistent competitiveness his investments will have been a complete waste. He could easily find himself having to sell the team and admit his structural failures, I don't think that's gonna happen. I think this guy, despite his moral compass, is a really smart f**k. 

So as I watch Matt Ryan throw picks he never would have thrown his rookie year, I know Arthur sees it. When I see a defensive line continue to get manhandled at the point of attack, Arthur isn't blind. This guy is on a mission and even if it is riddled with backdoor political deals he'll take the route.

So fellow Falcons fans what I'm really getting at is, chill out because we have a competitive owner. Yeah our schools are underfunded and our populous is suffering from drug addiction and homelessness, but someday we'll have a good Football team.

Maybe that helps some of us rest easier :).

You ever heard of Federal and State Income Tax?  If you can explain what this money is doing for schools, and anything else relevant, I will agree with you.  Who runs professional sports?  Think about it.

5 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

You ever heard of Federal and State Income Tax?  If you can explain what this money is doing for schools, and anything else relevant, I will agree with you.  Who runs professional sports?  Think about it.

Well revenue from federal and state income taxes gets divvied up to school systems based on standardized test performances for one. Who run's proffesional sports well for the most part it's privately owned conglomerations who get tax credits  and other benefits from the government out the wazoo.

2 minutes ago, HairyArabFalconFan said:

Well revenue from federal and state income taxes gets divvied up to school systems based on standardized test performances for one. Who run's proffesional sports well for the most part it's privately owned conglomerations who get tax credits  and other benefits from the government out the wazoo.

I'm sure that this is all incorrect.  If this was the case, you would not have a SPLOST.  The money is going into the pockets of those officials.

2 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Arthur Blank is literally living the American Dream and you hate him? He was born in a middle class family and is now rich... How could you despise that?

That's fantastic as long as the state isn't involved in allocating public funds to his private endeavors. Unless you're for a state run economy, which is completely unconstitutional and goes against every basic American idea.

9 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I'm sure that this is all incorrect.  If this was the case, you would not have a SPLOST.  The money is going into the pockets of those officials.

Google federal standardized testing. SPLOST is a great example of cronyism thanks for bringing that up, not only is there always money missing from SPLOST accounts across the state but many contractors who get these guaranteed checks do sub par or unfinished jobs that aren't really structurally useful. 

Also what is incorrect about most professional sports teams being privately owned?

Do you believe in communism? Do you think the state should run our economy?

5 minutes ago, HairyArabFalconFan said:

That's fantastic as long as the state isn't involved in allocating public funds to his private endeavors. Unless you're for a state run economy, which is completely unconstitutional and goes against every basic American idea.

Not at all. Admittedly, I am not overly familiar with the financials of the new stadium, but I'm sure the plan is for generation of additional taxes to help offset the public cost of the project. I imagine getting a super bowl goes a long way in itself. 

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Wouldn't be mad if Arthur seen this and you would up sleeping with the fishes.

So much crap going on in the world and this is where you take your stand? Our two nominees for POTUS are a reality tv star and a criminal. Maybe you should start there.

And nothing else has to be said. ..

6 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Not at all. Admittedly, I am not overly familiar with the financials of the new stadium, but I'm sure the plan is for generation of additional taxes to help offset the public cost of the project. I imagine getting a super bowl goes a long way in itself. 

I think you're taking my post the wrong way, probably due to my problem with speaking in hyperbole lol. I come from the school of thought that free markets have to be actually free in order for equal opportunity to exist.

I view any sort of public investment towards a private industry that isn't listed as a constitutional duty of the governement as a nefarious investment. I don't think just because our city does better with a new stadium and a football team that we owe any private investor who decides to come to our market anything more than our citizens individual decisions to give them business. I don't believe in robbing peter to pay paul any way your structure it. 

Edited by HairyArabFalconFan

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Wouldn't be mad if Arthur seen this and you wound up sleeping with the fishes.

So much crap going on in the world and this is where you take your stand? Our two nominees for POTUS are a reality tv star and a criminal. Maybe you should start there.

I canvass for Gary Johnson! Come join me if you're interested send me a message. Let's end the two party system once and for all dude! #feelthejohnson