Billy Ocean

Vacation & Travel Thread

174 posts in this topic

“Ghostface Buried a KFC Bucket in Brett Ratner’s Backyard.”

Complex talked to Rush Hour/X-Men 3 director Brett Ratner about his history directing hip-hop videos. Notably, Ratner directed the million dollar video for the Wu-Tang Clan’s “Triumph” and it sounds like it was a life-changing experience.

So three days into the edit, I get a call that Ghost had had been kicked out of like eleven hotels, and I’m like, ‘Why were you kicked out?’ He’s like, ‘I don’t know man, I got ****** up, and I just start breaking ****. Can you come get me? I got no place to stay.’ So I let him stay at my house. Suddenly my phone rings, and it’s Steve Rifkind, ‘Whats going on?’ I go, ‘Nothing, I’m just bringing Ghost over my house ’cause he got kicked out of the hotel.’ Then there’s silence on the other end of the phone. I say, ‘Whats wrong?’ He goes, ‘I gotta call you back.’ Five days later, he calls me up and goes, ‘Are you okay? Oh my God, you scared the **** outta me, man. How can you let this guy stay at your house? I don’t even let these guys know where I live!’ I go, ‘What do you mean? He’s the nicest guy in the world.’ He goes, ‘You don’t know what Ghostface has? He hallucinates, he hears voices like kill your mom, kill your mom. He has to be medicated because he has homicidal thoughts.’ So a month goes by, and I would edit all day, and Ghost would just chill at my house until we finished. A month later, I’m with my girlfriend in the backyard, and the cat starts going ******* crazy and starts digging into the dirt. We dig up a bucket of fried chicken. Ghost buried a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the backyard. How ****in’ freaky is that?

Ratner also talks about the guys doing mushrooms and stealing clothes from the shoot.

I’m waiting for the documentary/biopic that can do Wu-Tang justice. Brett Ratner need not apply.

48 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Did you get a chance to converse with Ghost? I'ma big fan.

Nope. I worked several Ghostface shows while I was there, and while he always put on a great show, there was almost always some totally avoidable drama going on at those shows that I'd have to deal with...

They'd be scheduled to be on stage at 10pm, that was the time agreed upon by their booking agent, that's the time agreed upon with the tour manager when the show is advanced beforehand, that's the time on the tickets & all advertising. So of course at 10pm, the doors have been open for a few hours and the 700 people who have paid their money to see him are expecting him to be on stage, the support acts are all done by then, and only now does his crew tell us he's just now on his way from Richmond, VA... which is almost three hours away. 

Those dudes were NEVER on time. Every single time he was there, they were at least 1-2 hours behind schedule.

Ghostface himself was in a crappy mood one time & started yelling at one of the sound guys in the middle of the show, calling him a "useless fat f#ck" in front of 700 people. For what it's worth, that "useless fat f#ck" runs sound for a living for artists who draw far more than Ghostface does these days. I think once the tour manager told him that kind of sh!t is not cool at all, Ghost did actually make a point to apologize to the guy after the show, so I guess that's something.

His tour manager & I actually got along pretty well though. Probably because we were constantly trying to defuse these situations together all the time. I did get into an extremely heated discussion on the phone with the main guy at Ghost's management. He was p!ssed about something to do with transportation from the venue to the hotel & kept screaming at me about it. I kept explaining to him that everything was lined up as they requested, but when they show up 4 hours late with no warning, there's not much we can do about it. He was totally loosing his cool, swearing at me, so I told him that wasn't exactly making me want to help him out any more that I already had. He continued to swear at me & started hanging up on me while I was trying to calmly work something out for them. I had a loooong talk with the tour manager about it, and I had a loooooong talk with my boss about it. I have NEVER in 20+ years working in venues experienced anywhere close to the absolute lack of professionalism I dealt with from that guy. I guess someone way up the ladder had a talk with him, because the next day I got a call from him apologizing for his behavior the night before.

So nope... never met Ghost, because I was usually too busy dealing with people wanting their money back because the show was so far behind, abusive/disrespectful crew members, etc.

Wife wants to go to a lauryn hill concert... I have no desire to wait 3 hours for 4 songs.  k-train's story has pretty much made me glad I am skipping it.  My wife will be going with her friend and I know I dodged a bullet on this one.

So last April my lady friend and I flew out to Denver, rented a car, spent a few days driving to Vegas (most scenic drive I've ever taken), stayed there a few days, then drove to LA, met up with a relative who lives there and went to Kobe's final game.

Now I'm preparing for another Colorado trip.

lx4w8Uc.png

WhenFalconsWin likes this

1 minute ago, Billy Ocean said:

So last April my lady friend and I flew out to Denver, rented a car, spent a few days driving to Vegas (most scenic drive I've ever taken), stayed there a few days, then drove to LA, met up with a relative who lives there and went to Kobe's final game.

Now I'm packing for another Colorado trip. lx4w8Uc.png

I love road trips like that.

I hear Mar-A-Lago is a hot destination right now...;)

Billy Ocean likes this

7 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I love road trips like that.

I hear Mar-A-Lago is a hot destination right now...;)

Yeah, we're just staying within the confines of Colorado this time. Normally I don't like driving, but that trip last year was definitely an exception.

Gonna spend some time in the parks, but no camping. Heading back to the hotel before dark. We ain't about roughing it.

WhenFalconsWin and NewFalcon like this

17 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Yeah, we're just staying within the confines of Colorado this time. Normally I don't like driving, but that trip last year was definitely an exception.

Gonna spend some time in the parks, but no camping. Heading back to the hotel before dark. We ain't about roughing it.

Depends on what you're driving, comfort, etc.  My wife and I love heated seats, really loosens up the back on long trips.  Camping?  Haven't done that in decades, I love the comforts of heat and air-conditioning and a nice bed the older I get. Never driven through Colorado, I suspect that is some beautiful scenery there.  

BO, how was the french Antilles?  My wife and I checked out Curacao for new years and it was nice.  Probably the best vacation we have had in a long while.  Our preferences are natural islands that have not separated tourists from locals like you see in certain parts of DR like punta cana.

Billy Ocean likes this

On 06/09/2016 at 2:05 PM, mookie3127 said:

If you're into photography, there's tons to take in, especially sunrises/sunsets.  Even if you're not into photography, there's some gorgeous scenery to experience.

Stunning.

Broke the time up. First afternoon Delicate Arch and then stopping off at various points on the way back.

Second day was an afternoon at Canyonlands at Grand View Lookout and Green River and Mesa Arch.

Third day was a race back to Mesa Arch for sunrise (nice and fresh outside), with stops at Upheaval Dome, and then an afternoon wander to Devils Garden.

Final morning I stumped up for a Fiery Furnace guided walking tour. Absolutely fantastic and I'll do that again if the opportunity presents itself again. The drive back past Grand Junction included a detour through National Monument.

The remaining drive back to Denver was Independence pass and then ready for the win at Mile High, and hired a Mustang out for RMNP (although I left too late in the day to see as much as I'd have liked).

September, NFL schedule permitting, I'd like to spend a week to 10 days checking out Valley Of Fire, Kanab, Zion, Bryce Canyon and the needles section of Canyonlands (and pop back to either Island In The Sky or Devils Garden in Arches).

Edited by Domed Outter
NewFalcon and Billy Ocean like this

7 hours ago, mfaulk57158 said:

BO, how was the french Antilles?  My wife and I checked out Curacao for new years and it was nice.  Probably the best vacation we have had in a long while.  Our preferences are natural islands that have not separated tourists from locals like you see in certain parts of DR like punta cana.

Dope af.

Big Gipp was right:

Yeah, uh, yeah
Did it, done it, run it, say it how you want it, leave it
When you finished let me dress it up and make it seem sweet
Like a beach in Martinique, Goodie back up on they feet ♫

I think the only thing I know about Curacao is Andruw Jones.

NewFalcon likes this

Just checking in again after a bit more travel.  Really enjoy reading about adventures here, hoping that more people jump in and share their collective experiences. 

Since I last posted we spent part of the Christmas holiday in Paris, which was pretty amazing and I visited family in upstate NY in January so I could play in the snow awhile.  Went to DC with my wife in February.

We returned to Paris in March intending to relax and eat and drink our way to oblivion.  Had an interesting flight experience trying to get to CDG from ATL.  Flight was airborne for around 15 minutes and it was obvious (at least to those of us who fly regularly) that we were circling.  Pilot comes on and calmly tells us that the landing gear did not retract so they were burning fuel for awhile, then would dump fuel and make a return landing at ATL.  The entire flight crew was calm, professional and in control and kept us informed of what would happen and what we'd see on the ground: tons of emergency apparatus surrounding the aircraft in case of an emergency.   Successfully returned to ATL and after we left the aircraft they brought in a replacement, did the necessary security inspections, loaded the catering items, got a new flight crew, transferred all bags and five hours later we were successfully on our way to Paris.  Lots of people had to have alternative plans made, since Paris/CDG is a major stopover for connections throughout Europe, but Delta seemed to do a good job handling them: even gave everyone who was a Skymiles member 25,000 miles for the inconvenience. 

Heading back to DC tomorrow, then off to Italy for two weeks: a week in Florence and a week in Bologna.

Billy Ocean likes this

On 3/27/2017 at 8:33 AM, Billy Ocean said:

Dope af.

Big Gipp was right:

Yeah, uh, yeah
Did it, done it, run it, say it how you want it, leave it
When you finished let me dress it up and make it seem sweet
Like a beach in Martinique, Goodie back up on they feet ♫

I think the only thing I know about Curacao is Andruw Jones.

If you ever go don't take sand to the beach…I'm married so I don't have a choice.  Driving is cool, and the beaches are awesome, not held hostage behind resort fences like the Dominican Republic.  Met some rasta's that got us some good smoke while out there as well.  We always ride four wheelers on our vacations and curaçao had the best tour yet.  Must do if you go.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/10-countries-where-women-far-outnumber-men.html

It's great to read about all of these travels.  I have a June trip to Jackson Hole WY, Grand Teton NP, and Yellowstone planned.  I'm meeting a couple of buddies out there that run photography workshops and they decided to limit the group to the 2 of them, myself, and 1 other person that they both know.  I'm really looking forward to the trip and have bought a 2nd camera body and a new lens for the trip.  Picked up a Canon 5D Mark III and a 16-35 f/4L for landscapes to pair with my other gear that's primarily for wildlife.

The trip was originally going to be Monday, June 12th-Saturday, June 17th but then they limited to the size of the group.  Everyone else was getting out there on the 10th to get a couple of extra days worth of shooting in, so I jumped on board too.  My flight has a layover in Chicago both ways, so I'm looking forward to at least seeing Chicago from the air.  There are going to be a lot of early mornings, but I'm stoked.  The same two guys did a winter workshop in the Tetons this past January and the area had already received 3.5' of snow and got another 2.5' the week that they were there so we're expecting a good bit to still be capping the mountains.  Should be gorgeous!

Billy Ocean and NewFalcon like this

6 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Hitting Pigeon Forge for the first time this year. Any recommendations 

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg have a lot of the the same touristy stuff (Think Myrtle Beach PCB in the mountains).  Tons of eating options in both.  They do a couple of Rod Runs throughout the year, so you may want to check what might be going on during your trip.  If there is a Rod Run, driving is pointless unless you can get to Teaster Lane which runs parallel to the strip.  The entire strip is usually bumper to bumper traffic during a Rod Run with every parking lot packed.  There's a Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg that we always enjoy.  If you like the outdoors, there's plenty of hiking and trails in the National Park and the park is well worth driving through.  Lots of waterfalls that you can hike to as well.  Cades Cove has a lot of history and some wildlife throughout the year.  They have dinner shows out the anus.  My son LOVED Dixie Stampede when we went last.  He was 2 and a half and absolutely enthralled with the show.  Plenty of stuff to do for the family from young kids to older.  The Island has a bunch of shops and several restaurants as well as a giant ferris wheel like in Atlanta.  Lots of mini golf.  The women folk seem to love The Christmas Place which is a huge Christmas store that you can get lost in.  Literally.  Some of my favorite restaurants are Bullfish (Longhorns style), The Blue Moose (Sports Bar type place), Margaritaville, Mama's Farmhouse Kitchen (buffet style where the food is brought to your table and you share with your party instead of the entire restaurant.  Great for breakfast), several more common chain places as well.

ya_boi_j likes this

4 hours ago, mookie3127 said:

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg have a lot of the the same touristy stuff (Think Myrtle Beach PCB in the mountains).  Tons of eating options in both.  They do a couple of Rod Runs throughout the year, so you may want to check what might be going on during your trip.  If there is a Rod Run, driving is pointless unless you can get to Teaster Lane which runs parallel to the strip.  The entire strip is usually bumper to bumper traffic during a Rod Run with every parking lot packed.  There's a Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg that we always enjoy.  If you like the outdoors, there's plenty of hiking and trails in the National Park and the park is well worth driving through.  Lots of waterfalls that you can hike to as well.  Cades Cove has a lot of history and some wildlife throughout the year.  They have dinner shows out the anus.  My son LOVED Dixie Stampede when we went last.  He was 2 and a half and absolutely enthralled with the show.  Plenty of stuff to do for the family from young kids to older.  The Island has a bunch of shops and several restaurants as well as a giant ferris wheel like in Atlanta.  Lots of mini golf.  The women folk seem to love The Christmas Place which is a huge Christmas store that you can get lost in.  Literally.  Some of my favorite restaurants are Bullfish (Longhorns style), The Blue Moose (Sports Bar type place), Margaritaville, Mama's Farmhouse Kitchen (buffet style where the food is brought to your table and you share with your party instead of the entire restaurant.  Great for breakfast), several more common chain places as well.

Thanks man. I love waterfalls so that's a must do. Sounds like this is gonna be a fun first time 

Just got back from Italy: a week in Florence and a week in Bologna.  Fat. Dumb. Happy.

Decided to completely ignore all of the Trump threads and stick to things that won't end up with people rumbling in the Waffle House parking lot...

Hope everyone has a great Easter weekend.

Billy Ocean likes this

Any suggestions for a July trip. Want to get out of the country with the wife, just the two of us. Would rather not spend an entire week with my balls doing a flying squirrel.

31 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Any suggestions for a July trip. Want to get out of the country with the wife, just the two of us. Would rather not spend an entire week with my balls doing a flying squirrel.

Jamaica where daytime highs in July only 80°. Just returned from a stay at all inclusive Hilton Rose Hall.

Plenty of other choices though.

Billy Ocean likes this

51 minutes ago, big_dog said:

Jamaica where daytime highs in July only 80°. Just returned from a stay at all inclusive Hilton Rose Hall.

Plenty of other choices though.

Really? I thought it would be 95-100. You tend to get the ocean breeze, but that doesn't help if you go inland.

14 hours ago, pzummo said:

Really? I thought it would be 95-100. You tend to get the ocean breeze, but that doesn't help if you go inland.

Inland in Jamaica are mountains and a rain forest. Tons of tours available around all around whatever portion of the island visitors choose. If you ever get serious about this locale let me know and I can advise how to get thru their customs without a two hour line.  Google temps and you'll see 90 - 100 never happen.

16 hours ago, pzummo said:

Munich (and Bavaria in general) is beautiful in the summer.  Daytime temperatures are typically in the low 70's.  Central train station makes it a great base to easily make day trips to visit Salzburg, Nuremberg, etc.  Did I mention the sausages, schnitzels and beer?

We've been there in summertime and loved it, but normally we head that way in December for the Christmas markets.  We're heading for our first visit to Berlin in July.

Would anyone recommend Kanab for the wave trail? I've heard that they draw lots the morning before for permits and seeing as I'll have two and a half days (after spending a couple in Zion) before I catch an overnight to Atlanta for the Packers game, I wasn't sure whether I should try that trail and then drive to check out Monument Valley late afternoon Friday, with a final morning hike to finish off before driving back to Vegas.