Billy Ocean

Vacation & Travel Thread

174 posts in this topic

I'll never forget being in a mall in Puerto Rico, my wife and I stopped in the food court to get a drink and a Chinese lady (working a restaurant) was speaking her language on the phone as we approached, she greeted us in Spanish and then realized we were American and spoke perfect English. I felt ashamed that I didn't know any other language fluently. 

Leon Troutsky likes this

1 hour ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I'll never forget being in a mall in Puerto Rico, my wife and I stopped in the food court to get a drink and a Chinese lady (working a restaurant) was speaking her language on the phone as we approached, she greeted us in Spanish and then realized we were American and spoke perfect English. I felt ashamed that I didn't know any other language fluently. 

what was she running from

4 hours ago, mookie3127 said:

Yes sir, it would.  We cam "this close" to doing it in March of 2015, but opted for a week in Cancun instead.  Obviously, the American SW is on my list, but I'm hoping to do Jackson Hole and the Tetons this upcoming June.

Man, I'd do that same trip to the southwest (that my wife & I did last year again) in a minute. A place like Lower Antelope Canyon is never gonna be the same twice & there are so many places we didn't get to go to on that trip that I want to eventually check out... like the North Rim of Grand Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Horseshoe Bend, more areas of Zion & Bryce, etc.

Flight was changed from 2 5 hour flights to 1 1 hour flight to atl and a 10 hour flight to Hawaii ... Wife is talking about trying to not go crazy on the plane.

13 hours ago, k-train said:

Man, I'd do that same trip to the southwest (that my wife & I did last year again) in a minute. A place like Lower Antelope Canyon is never gonna be the same twice & there are so many places we didn't get to go to on that trip that I want to eventually check out... like the North Rim of Grand Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Horseshoe Bend, more areas of Zion & Bryce, etc.

That'd be awesome.  I've told the wife that if we ever go out west for anything, plan on spending at least a week letting me photograph.  Ideally, I'd like to do a 2-3 week trip out that way.  Fly into Vegas (since I've never been), spend a couple of days there to take in the sights and say that I've "experienced" it and then head out to the different places I'd like to photograph.  I'd love to rent a car and head out from Vegas after a couple of days, stop at the Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, GC and the North Rim, Page, AZ for Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, and then probably fly out of Salt Lake City.

k-train and Billy Ocean like this

17 hours ago, mookie3127 said:

That'd be awesome.  I've told the wife that if we ever go out west for anything, plan on spending at least a week letting me photograph.  Ideally, I'd like to do a 2-3 week trip out that way.  Fly into Vegas (since I've never been), spend a couple of days there to take in the sights and say that I've "experienced" it and then head out to the different places I'd like to photograph.  I'd love to rent a car and head out from Vegas after a couple of days, stop at the Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, GC and the North Rim, Page, AZ for Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, and then probably fly out of Salt Lake City.

Heading to Canyonlands, Arches for 4 days next month. Not a clue what to do, I guess I should really read up on those places.

37 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:
18 hours ago, mookie3127 said:

Heading to Canyonlands, Arches for 4 days next month. Not a clue what to do, I guess I should really read up on those places.

If you're into photography, there's tons to take in, especially sunrises/sunsets.  Even if you're not into photography, there's some gorgeous scenery to experience.

3 minutes ago, mookie3127 said:

If you're into photography, there's tons to take in, especially sunrises/sunsets.  Even if you're not into photography, there's some gorgeous scenery to experience.

Not sure how to split my time. I'd be arriving into Moab on the monday evening and making my way to Grand Junction for the National Monument area either Friday evening or first thing Saturday for half a day.

Canyonlands seems more of a lookout NP?

A couple of days in Olympic and one in Mt Rainier also. 

18 hours ago, mookie3127 said:

I did exactly that.  I also hit Toiyabe National forest, beautiful place with unbelievable scenery with wild horses, elk, and deer running around.  I think the elevation is around 12,00 feet.  My mistake was going near the top after leaving Vegas in shorts and a T-shirt where it was a 106 degrees.  It was snowing and was just over freezing.  I got out of the car to snap some pics of the horses but I only last a minutes as it was cold.  

Billy Ocean likes this

On September 5, 2016 at 11:41 AM, lostone said:

Flight was changed from 2 5 hour flights to 1 1 hour flight to atl and a 10 hour flight to Hawaii ... Wife is talking about trying to not go crazy on the plane.

When we went to Kauai a few years back I had a similar thing. I worked a sold out Ghostface show the night before, went home and packed, went to the airport at 5am in Raleigh & caught an 1hr 15m flight to Newark... Then an 11 hour flight to Honolulu... Then another 40 minute flight to Kauai.

The Honolulu airport is pretty neat. They don't have windows in lots of it... Just open air walkways and stuff, probably because the weather is awesome all the time. They also have these awesome areas where you can chill between flights. They are outdoor area with a bunch of beautiful tropical trees & flowers everywhere and the softest grass ever. It's a great place to relax after that long flight from the mainland.

on the way home we did Kauai to Honolulu to LA to Dallas to Raleigh. Probably took longer overall, but having it broken up made it more tolerable. I do recall that at the airport in Honolulu we checked in through security outside. I suppose they figure since you're leaving you'll want every single second to soak in the awesomeness, so they do it outdoors in that perfect weather surrounded by palm trees & stuff.

Billy Ocean likes this

On the way back its Hawaii to Dallas.  I just need to download this one code thing so I can practice closure while on the plane.  10 hours isn't so bad if I have a book or two.  I just hope there is a plug or this is going to be a really long flight.  They separated me and my wife by 10 rows :(

On 9/6/2016 at 6:34 PM, lostone said:

On the way back its Hawaii to Dallas.  I just need to download this one code thing so I can practice closure while on the plane.  10 hours isn't so bad if I have a book or two.  I just hope there is a plug or this is going to be a really long flight.  They separated me and my wife by 10 rows :(

What?  Why aren't your seats together.  I'm flying next week an my wife and my seats are together.  i don't like flying not knowing who I will be sitting next to?  

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

What?  Why aren't your seats together.  I'm flying next week an my wife and my seats are together.  i don't like flying not knowing who I will be sitting next to?  

Ended up working out.  They switched out flight which put us away from each other.  Then as I board, they ended up having us beside each other

WhenFalconsWin likes this

2 minutes ago, lostone said:

Ended up working out.  They switched out flight which put us away from each other.  Then as I board, they ended up having us beside each other

That's good...especially on a long flight

This wedding is gonna be ratchet!  Nice view though.  The lady running it is googling as she goes and has no idea what she is doing.  The other maid of honor is hating on my wife it seems.  There will be no alcohol and ugly dresses at this wedding.  I will be entertained though.

Billy Ocean likes this

We did a tour.  Request Paolo from discoverhawaiitours.com he was great.  Very knowledgeable and has a good sense of humor.  So much beauty on this tiny island.

Learned today that Delta plane > American 

delta had tvs on every seat for free.  American has the old school tv crap.  Very disappointed in this horribleness.  Probably flying delta from now on.

38 minutes ago, lostone said:

Learned today that Delta plane > American 

delta had tvs on every seat for free.  American has the old school tv crap.  Very disappointed in this horribleness.  Probably flying delta from now on.

Back in the 60's and 70's I used to fly free on Delta.  My uncle was an official with them.  

On 9/5/2016 at 2:50 PM, mookie3127 said:

This past April, the week before Kobe's final game, me and bae flew out to Denver, rented a car, loaded the car with marijuana and marijuana edibles, spent a few days driving to Vegas and stayed there a couple days, then we drove to LA and met up with a relative who I went to the game with. We spent the rest of the week in LA, and then flew back to Atlanta.

The drive from Denver to Vegas is scenic af. I usually hate driving no matter what, but this was a real pleasure. I'm looking to fly out to Denver again sometime when it's not too cold, and rent a car to visit some parks. I'm thinking just drive out to the parks during the day, get out and explore, and head back out for the hotel by twilight -- I'm not about roughin it in the wilderness 'n sht. There are a lot of cheap flights from Atlanta to Denver.

On 9/6/2016 at 1:38 PM, k-train said:

When we went to Kauai a few years back I had a similar thing. I worked a sold out Ghostface show the night before,

Did you get a chance to converse with Ghost? I'ma big fan.