Billy Ocean

Vacation & Travel Thread

173 posts in this topic

Tried to post this in k-train's thread, but it's archived:

Anyway, I'm going to the French Antilles in October. Neither I nor my lady friend speak any French, but hopefully that won't be too big of a problem.

If anybody's been there before or has any tips, lemme know.

pxRkCgC.gif

Heading to Hawaii for a wedding.  It's going to be hilarious!  Jokes on me though because they are ultra religious so no alcohol...  I am going to get wasted on other stuff though!

2 hours ago, lostone said:

Heading to Hawaii for a wedding.  It's going to be hilarious!  Jokes on me though because they are ultra religious so no alcohol...  I am going to get wasted on other stuff though!

Wait lo stone are you finally gonna start doing drugs?! bird.gif

3 hours ago, lostone said:

Youd be better off spending that money on debts or a mutual fund-Dave Ramsey. 

6 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

Wait lo stone are you finally gonna start doing drugs?! bird.gif

Nah, just going to experience Hawaii and do as much as we can.  Going to drink though.

Heading to Cabo for my honeymoon in a few weeks, so excited about that. I've only been to Saint Martin when it comes to the French Antilles, but it was still very nice. Depending on where you go, the language barrier shouldn't be an issue. 

Billy Ocean likes this

4 hours ago, k-train said:

I'm hoping to do St. Lucia next time we head to the Caribbean, but would love to go back to Dominica, also.

I really want to do a week and a half-ish trip to St. Lucia and Costa Rica.

k-train likes this

1 hour ago, mookie3127 said:

I really want to do a week and a half-ish trip to St. Lucia and Costa Rica.

That'd be fantastic! I have a good friend who moved to the northwestern coast of Costa Rica about a year ago. Flights from here have been crazy cheap lately, and we'd have a free place to stay for a few days if we wanted, so it's been on my radar as well.

My 40th is in late May, and we are talking about going to Portugal and/or Spain for that. So, that's where the bulk of the travel fund is going for now... plus a few small regional trips until then... so no Caribbean for us for a while.

I have a place I really want to go to in St. Lucia, but it is crazy expensive to rent the place on your own. Trying to convince a bunch of friends and/or family to go, so it's more realistic for everyone. It'd pretty much be like having a private retreat all to ourselves for a week... looking out at the sea and the pitons.

cbd23c72-2230-4294-b141-c0437e695aa8.1.6

Billy Ocean likes this

13 hours ago, k-train said:

That'd be fantastic! I have a good friend who moved to the northwestern coast of Costa Rica about a year ago. Flights from here have been crazy cheap lately, and we'd have a free place to stay for a few days if we wanted, so it's been on my radar as well.

My 40th is in late May, and we are talking about going to Portugal and/or Spain for that. So, that's where the bulk of the travel fund is going for now... plus a few small regional trips until then... so no Caribbean for us for a while.

I have a place I really want to go to in St. Lucia, but it is crazy expensive to rent the place on your own. Trying to convince a bunch of friends and/or family to go, so it's more realistic for everyone. It'd pretty much be like having a private retreat all to ourselves for a week... looking out at the sea and the pitons.

The most photographed landmark in the world

1 hour ago, Dago 3.0 said:

hanging out with Jimmy Buffet in Margaritaville 

No no no.  She's cooking lobster in Anegada while her husband and Jimny putz around on his HU-16 Albatross.  

Nice to see some fellow travelers here. 

I'm just an old retired fart, but I've been making up for my years of busting my working azz with my 'nose to the grindstone' by enjoying lots of leisure travel around the US and in Europe each year.  Already been to Las Vegas, San Francisco (twice), Washington DC for USA travel. Europe travel so far this year has been: Rome, Barcelona, Munich and Milan.  Heading back to Florence, Italy later this month, finishing European travel off with Sorrento/Amalfi Coast of Italy in October and spending part of the Christmas holiday in Paris.  Throwing in return trips to San Fran, Vegas and DC also.  Logging in the miles!!

Billy Ocean and WhenFalconsWin like this

7 hours ago, NewFalcon said:

Nice to see some fellow travelers here. 

I'm just an old retired fart, but I've been making up for my years of busting my working azz with my 'nose to the grindstone' by enjoying lots of leisure travel around the US and in Europe each year.  Already been to Las Vegas, San Francisco (twice), Washington DC for USA travel. Europe travel so far this year has been: Rome, Barcelona, Munich and Milan.  Heading back to Florence, Italy later this month, finishing European travel off with Sorrento/Amalfi Coast of Italy in October and spending part of the Christmas holiday in Paris.  Throwing in return trips to San Fran, Vegas and DC also.  Logging in the miles!!

DC, why?  No, I'm just kidding.  It is a place everyone should visit at least once.

I can see DC from my porch...almost true:D

1 hour ago, NewFalcon said:

Atlanta.  I can get almost anyplace via direct flight.

If the wife works there, does she rent and then come back on weekends?  If you don't mind me asking?  

Stays in a hotel (company picks up the expense).  Works from home two weeks each month/2 weeks in DC. 

She's in a high level position, years of experience, liberal time off policies that allow us to book lots of leisure travel (at our own expense, naturally!)

I don't mind DC, normally a pretty good vibe, some great restaurants all over the metro-DC area, and the Metro System is great (I've had a Metro/Smarttrip Card for years.)  Over the years I've been to every Smithsonian Museum at least 3 times, every monument, National Archives, Library of Congress, Arlington, Alexandria, etc.  I have a friend who works for a very senior US Senator and have had two private tours of the Capital complex/Congress and made my way around the Supreme Court. 

20 minutes ago, NewFalcon said:

Stays in a hotel (company picks up the expense).  Works from home two weeks each month/2 weeks in DC. 

She's in a high level position, years of experience, liberal time off policies that allow us to book lots of leisure travel (at our own expense, naturally!)

I don't mind DC, normally a pretty good vibe, some great restaurants all over the metro-DC area, and the Metro System is great (I've had a Metro/Smarttrip Card for years.)  Over the years I've been to every Smithsonian Museum at least 3 times, every monument, National Archives, Library of Congress, Arlington, Alexandria, etc.  I have a friend who works for a very senior US Senator and have had two private tours of the Capital complex/Congress and made my way around the Supreme Court. 

I've done it all, seen most of it.  For years, I had a top secret clearance, worked in some high levels places myself.  You are right, there is a lot to do in the DC metro area.  I'm spoiled about it though, been here my entire life, having lived in Arlington and Fairfax City.  

NewFalcon likes this

On 9/2/2016 at 8:59 PM, k-train said:

Yes sir, it would.  We cam "this close" to doing it in March of 2015, but opted for a week in Cancun instead.  Obviously, the American SW is on my list, but I'm hoping to do Jackson Hole and the Tetons this upcoming June.

k-train likes this