Thoughts on the preseason. What do you guys think?

So I took a brief hiatus from the message boards while I left to go to New Orleans and then sail away to Central America. I'm back now and refreshed but I did miss both the second and third preseason games. That being said, I went back and read a lot on what happened. Seems to me like a lot of you guys are a little too worked up. Has our first team offense struggled? Yeah, but I think you guys keep forgetting one very important detail....there is no game planning for your opponent. You are just running basic and simple plays and all the defense has to do is read and react. You're not trying to fool them or outsmart them. Preseason can make really bad defenses look pretty good. It seems like this happens every year when everyone freaks out over preseason results when during the regular season, things often go the opposite of how you would expect. It's why the Titans and Jags win a lot of preseason games and the Pats may go 0-4. I wish more people would watch the preseason for the real reason...watch the roster bubble guys to see if they can make plays and make the team. Those are the only guys on the field who are playing as hard as they can and giving it their all. I literally couldn't care less if MR and the boys scored 30 points in the first quarter. It doesn't mean we are going 16-0. The opposite is also true.

Looking at the roster I will say this. I don't see us being a great team yet. There is just too much mediocre talent all across the roster. We have a good secondary, OL, QB, and RB and ONE good WR.  Everything else is just bleh. Reed, Upshaw, Shelby, Beasley, Hags, Jones, Campbell, Worrilow, Jarret, Clayborne, Spoon, Tamme, Sanu, Hardy, and Coleman are all just average (or below average players) or unproven. As an optimist I like to think we will have Beasley, Hags, Shelby, Hardy, Coleman, Jarret, and Campbell all step up and become good players but I think we all know it's unrealistic to think they will all shine. I see us having a middle of the pack defense that still struggles to get to the passer and an offense that will be potent but will have trouble staying out of it's own way. Add the potentially tough schedule and I see us going 7-9 this year give or take one game. If the schedule plays out to be as tough as it looks, we could be an improved team at 7-9 though. I'll be watching how we play more than the win/loss record this year.

How do you see us as a team right now?

Our receiving arsenal is still weak. Julio and then not much. Sanu is alright. TE group is weak, and you know it is when you have to start Jacob Tamme as your #1 TE two years in a row lol

team was talent deficient in the worst way on both sides of the ball when DQ got here. We got another year or 2 of rebuilding left 

Offense. ..

Honesty. .i like our receivers and our TE..i like our RB and our OL..my problem is with Ryan..he hasn't gotten better and he doesn't have the arm strength to make up his deficiencies. .until we switch QB we will struggle. ..i hope I'm wrong and he comes out slinging it...but i don't see it...if something happens and he goes down a few games I don't think he gets his job back...Shaub is better suited for this offense and knows the play book..

Defense. .:bang:

1 hour ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Our receiving arsenal is still weak. Julio and then not much. Sanu is alright. TE group is weak, and you know it is when you have to start Jacob Tamme as your #1 TE two years in a row lol

team was talent deficient in the worst way on both sides of the ball when DQ got here. We got another year or 2 of rebuilding left 

This guy gets it.

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Offense. ..

Honesty. .i like our receivers and our TE..i like our RB and our OL..my problem is with Ryan..he hasn't gotten better and he doesn't have the arm strength to make up his deficiencies. .until we switch QB we will struggle. ..i hope I'm wrong and he comes out slinging it...but i don't see it...if something happens and he goes down a few games I don't think he gets his job back...Shaub is better suited for this offense and knows the play book..

Defense. .:bang:

I respectfully disagree.

5-11....the offense is terrible. Ryan is totally out of sink...he is always throwing on the run...happy feet galore. Our tackles are under performing when it comes to pass protection.

We have no short yardage threat. Our best offensive upgrade is a center from Cleveland!

Receivers 2-5 are a step backwards from previous years. Julio...get ready to be double covered.

Having said all that...I like our defense. We are young talented and fast. LB depth is great!

So...bad O good D. Usually the D gets worn out mentally and physically when you have this kind of team.

Schedule is brutal...over half of our opponents were playoff teams a year ago.

5-11....work to do on offense.

I'm not freaking out and I won't until the first few weeks of the season don't show any growth. But, I was thinking the same thing last week when a lot of people who now are kicking dirt on our grave were thinking we had a great chance to do much better. It's preseason and that's all it is. If we lay an egg this year, I'll be unhappy and surprised. But if we turn things on and have a good season, I'm not going to be the one acting like I knew it all along when I was posting butt hurting threads before the season even started.

I'm on record for 9-7 but the realist in me says otherwise so I'm gonna dial it back & go 8-8. 

Having Beasley & Clayborn nicked up isn't good for an already suspect passrush. Then our first round pick is out the first 4 or 5 maybe 6 games after looking good in action but to add insult to injury his backup who's good is also injured. I think we fight hard the first half of the season 3-5 & finish strong the healthier we get 5-3 but we'll see. 

I think they should stop televising it because it coorelates so little with the regular season, and you never know what they are trying to do; ie. force the ball to one receiver to how he reacts, run behind this guard to see how he blocks, don't hold the ball force it if you have to, put your #3 on their #1 WR to see if he can keep up, no blitzing, try this move on this tackle because he blocks it well and you'll see how to counter it, etc, etc, etc.

People forget it's just practice and it's annoying. Other than looking at one-on-one match-ups there isn't much else you can take away without knowing the intentions going in.

I don't put  ton of stock in Preseason but you do want to see "hints" of something better and honestly I haven't seen anything from the 1's to suggest we are going to be the team I want to see.  We may come out like we did last year after an indifferent preseason so maybe there is more to this team but they have yet to show it in games.