Now That I'm Over My Initial Disgust

TheRisen999

I'd like to pose a question, are we really as bad as we looked verses Miami? I don't want to play devils advocate but the Patriots routinely struggle against Miami and we know what kind of team they are sooooo... Are we that terrible or did we come up a against an offense scheme (constant no huddle) we weren't prepared for and very good defense. I'll go ahead and tell y'all now, I don't have a clue. I just know that was not the same team we saw the first two games. Thoughts?

Edited by TheRisen999

14 minutes ago, FalconsInstitutionalSize said:

at least I can walk to the new braves stadium I live in the Waverly don't tell no one I sleep in the linen closet

lol deal as long as you don't tell anyone i'm a voodoo priest and i'm putting a hex on everyone we play so that we might get some wins. 

I think the look on Dan Quinn's face as he was walking off the field says it all. My guess is the players got an earful in the locker room. I don't think that the Falcons played well against Miami on either side of the ball. I think the defense did much better than the offense did. 

Does a no-huddle offense have a huge advantage over a defense in pre-season when they don't really game plan?

The offense concerned me more. But I also saw some post a thought about the over abundance of passing to running. Is that the plan for the season or was Shanny just trying to fine tune the passing game and find out which WR's will make this team.

I was upset that we lost but I am not throwing my Falcons gear away, I am not panicking. I think DQ is making this team better and players more accountable. I also think that the offensive scheme doesn't fit MR's abilities and needs to be adjusted(round peg, square hole). 

And just to try to be optimistic, I saw this in another post.. lets hope he's right.

In fact, the Patriots coach has no idea what the term "dress rehearsal" means in the context of an exhibition game.

"In terms of playing time it might be a little different," Belichick said Monday during a WEEI Radio interview. "But in terms of game-planning and strategy, what we see in the regular season compared to what we see the in third preseason game ... I don't even think you're in the same universe.

"We're still running our basic plays and we'd expect our opponents would run their basic plays. You get to the opener and start to get to game-planning and scheme, I mean you're in a totally different ballpark, in my opinion. I don't see any comparison at all. It's too far away, I don't see how you could compare them, from that standpoint."

5 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

I think the look on Dan Quinn's face as he was walking off the field says it all. My guess is the players got an earful in the locker room. I don't think that the Falcons played well against Miami on either side of the ball. I think the defense did much better than the offense did. 

Does a no-huddle offense have a huge advantage over a defense in pre-season when they don't really game plan?

The offense concerned me more. But I also saw some post a thought about the over abundance of passing to running. Is that the plan for the season or was Shanny just trying to fine tune the passing game and find out which WR's will make this team.

I was upset that we lost but I am not throwing my Falcons gear away, I am not panicking. I think DQ is making this team better and players more accountable. I also think that the offensive scheme doesn't fit MR's abilities and needs to be adjusted(round peg, square hole). 

I agree, especially about Ryan. I'm starting to think Shanny may not know how to run but one system. Ryan said that more of the things he likes to do have been incorporated into the system but I don't see it. Hopefully it's that way because it's just the preseason 

Just now, TheRisen999 said:

I agree, especially about Ryan. I'm starting to think Shanny may not know how to run but one system. Ryan said that more of the things he likes to do have been incorporated into the system but I don't see it. Hopefully it's that way because it's just the preseason 

I hope this year they do more things he likes and we are just not seeing them because it is pre-season. 

12 minutes ago, birdz4i said:

the other nite was a good test for our oline for some of the defensive fronts we will face this year. mia has a good group up front on paper, if wake and williams return closer to form, mia is going to have a nasty dline.

To me we looked overwhelmed at times on Offense, i'm not as worried about our defense.

1 hour ago, TheRisen999 said:

I'd like to pose a question, are we really as bad as we looked verses Miami? I don't want to play devils advocate but the Patriots routinely struggle against Miami and we know what kind of team they are sooooo... Are we that terrible or did we come up a against an offense scheme (constant no huddle) we weren't prepared for and very good defense. I'll go ahead and tell y'all now, I don't have a clue. I just know that was not the same team we saw the first two games. Thoughts?

As I posted on another thread, one can't entirely ignore the fact that no one game plans preseason games, and the worst possible offense to face in that scenario is a hurry up scheme. So, from a defensive perspective, I'm willing to put that aside.

Offensively, nothing has changed from last year that I see. The once in-control, decisive QB we watched for years calling his own plays and running the show is double clutching, patting the ball waiting, and throwing with zero confidence in a scheme that belongs in a dumpster in flames. 

I sat watching the game, and all I could think was, what is Matt thinking, watching the Miami offense?

I hope, as always, that I'm proven wrong, but only the blindest of homer apologists sees anything but more struggles ahead. 

I think we played Miami's game on defense. Quinn has built a fast, explosive, athletic unit. Miami's OL is a bunch of big strong men. In a pushing contest or tug of war, our defensive front loses to that OL 100 times out of 100. We went out there and engaged them in a pushing contest. Cultural sensitivities aside, we brought a knife to a gun fight. 

Despite the fact that we played their game, we matched up better than we did in preseason week 3 last year. This year, the clearly handled us. Last year, humiliated us. The only real difference was that our OL was clearly more able to slow their DL than the unit we had last year, Ryan didn't get hit 7 or 8 times like he did in the first half last season. On defense, they put us on skates just like last season. However, these skates had rusty wheels. They had to work a little to push us back, but push us back they did. 

I think you will see us try to turn the game in week 1 into more of knife fight. We will stunt and blitz. We will drop ends and send safeties. Our front 7 is not going to run over any NFL line. We have to find a way to make OLs think, and get them moving laterally.

So, it was as bad as it looked. However, the game plan was "play 'em straight up an show me what you got." I think we will actually add a few sprinkles to the vanilla for week one. That said, we may still get beat. That is a serious team with a solid coaching staff. However, we could get on a roll on offense, cause a couple of turnovers on defense, and have all of the preseason naysayers singing, "16-0 baby! I told you so!"

1 hour ago, TheRisen999 said:

And just to try to be optimistic, I saw this in another post.. lets hope he's right.

In fact, the Patriots coach has no idea what the term "dress rehearsal" means in the context of an exhibition game.

"In terms of playing time it might be a little different," Belichick said Monday during a WEEI Radio interview. "But in terms of game-planning and strategy, what we see in the regular season compared to what we see the in third preseason game ... I don't even think you're in the same universe.

"We're still running our basic plays and we'd expect our opponents would run their basic plays. You get to the opener and start to get to game-planning and scheme, I mean you're in a totally different ballpark, in my opinion. I don't see any comparison at all. It's too far away, I don't see how you could compare them, from that standpoint."

I've seen this posted in countless threads, and people still don't get it during Pre-season it's like we're literally only going at 30% at best it's not until Week 8 you begin to separate what's really happening with this team. I mean if we're 0-4 when season starts YEAH hit the panic button if we're 2-2 sit back and wait, and if we're 4-0 don't get your expectations up too high we saw what happened last season. It's that simple. 

I've watched the game again, and i don't see it nearly as bad as everyone's making it out to be.

We had some bright spots. 

Unfortunately, our offense looks like a duplicate of last season, except that the frustrations will grow more quickly this season if they dont produce. Geez...some of the D's we face this year..... >.<

But, to be fair, our defense looks to have improved somewhat.

49 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

As I posted on another thread, one can't entirely ignore the fact that no one game plans preseason games, and the worst possible offense to face in that scenario is a hurry up scheme. So, from a defensive perspective, I'm willing to put that aside.

Offensively, nothing has changed from last year that I see. The once in-control, decisive QB we watched for years calling his own plays and running the show is double clutching, patting the ball waiting, and throwing with zero confidence in a scheme that belongs in a dumpster in flames. 

I sat watching the game, and all I could think was, what is Matt thinking, watching the Miami offense?

I hope, as always, that I'm proven wrong, but only the blindest of homer apologists sees anything but more struggles ahead. 

Sadly I don't know that I can disagree with you. I certainly hope we see a different team come opening day. 

51 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I think we played Miami's game on defense. Quinn has built a fast, explosive, athletic unit. Miami's OL is a bunch of big strong men. In a pushing contest or tug of war, our defensive front loses to that OL 100 times out of 100. We went out there and engaged them in a pushing contest. Cultural sensitivities aside, we brought a knife to a gun fight. 

Despite the fact that we played their game, we matched up better than we did in preseason week 3 last year. This year, the clearly handled us. Last year, humiliated us. The only real difference was that our OL was clearly more able to slow their DL than the unit we had last year, Ryan didn't get hit 7 or 8 times like he did in the first half last season. On defense, they put us on skates just like last season. However, these skates had rusty wheels. They had to work a little to push us back, but push us back they did. 

I think you will see us try to turn the game in week 1 into more of knife fight. We will stunt and blitz. We will drop ends and send safeties. Our front 7 is not going to run over any NFL line. We have to find a way to make OLs think, and get them moving laterally.

So, it was as bad as it looked. However, the game plan was "play 'em straight up an show me what you got." I think we will actually add a few sprinkles to the vanilla for week one. That said, we may still get beat. That is a serious team with a solid coaching staff. However, we could get on a roll on offense, cause a couple of turnovers on defense, and have all of the preseason naysayers singing, "16-0 baby! I told you so!"

lol Sounds good to me.. Now if we can only make that happen.

49 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

I've seen this posted in countless threads, and people still don't get it during Pre-season it's like we're literally only going at 30% at best it's not until Week 8 you begin to separate what's really happening with this team. I mean if we're 0-4 when season starts YEAH hit the panic button if we're 2-2 sit back and wait, and if we're 4-0 don't get your expectations up too high we saw what happened last season. It's that simple. 

I just can't believe we forgot how to play after the first two preseason games but at the same time we shouldn't have looked that bad vanilla offense / defense or not. If it's one thing I've learned being a Falcons fan is that if you lean too far either way you're gonna make yourself have a heart attack. Even kilter is the way to go when judging this franchise... and plenty of patience.

9 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

We performed bad against these guys last season in the very same game and disgust ran wild but we came out of the blocks on fire.I'm not saying we'll do that again but seeing the over reactions round here are pretty much standard procedure.