Jeff Jagodzinkski on 92.9 on Ryan Shanny

DMT11

I dont know if you guys have been listening to 929 but they been bringing JJ in on the air a bunch lately, and he obviously knows Ryan a well known OC in NFL and college coach - basically today said, doesnt think Ryan is comfy at all in this scheme, but wouldnt nec say that before Shanny was hired.  So - kinda sounds like a failed experiment if things continue to look like they did in this game, preseason and I know we wont be this bad during the year but some outside opinion from another Football guy is good to hear.  Thinks Matt is better suited to the reactive offense he used to run.

THAT BEING SAID - not sure who you can blame for not catching this earlier - you could say Quinn should have known this but then again he was trying to get this job because of the QB and was the most coveted coach that offseason - also would DIMI not warrant some blame here for not realizing Matt shouldnt be put throught the rigors of Shannys/Kubiak version of the WCO.  Even though worse Qbs have done quite well in this scheme -People in here need to stop saying SHanny has been bad everywhere he goes, its just not a fact, also need stop with obvious bias Ryan hate.  End of the day, I think Quinn takes the blame for this but if he turns the DEF around he will not "pay" for this mistake.  I hate to switch everything around again but the offense has to NOT do what it did last year for ppl to stay here - IF offense is considered a failure again, Shanny and Dimi might be gone if its determined Ryan should not have been put in this offense. 

EDIT : well after hearing the whole thing it def leans anti Shanny.  although this guy sounds a bit biased for obvious reasons.  

Edited by DMT11

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hate seeing Matt looked forced to play in a scheme he is obviously not comfortable with, when we use to see him comfortable and in control no matter the situation.  I still believe Shanahan can be gone now and a replacement who will let Matt be Matt will be successful.      

Matt Ryan's loss of arm strength is also a factor.  He can no longer fit the ball into the tight windows needed once we enter the redzone.  It's sad to watch as a Falcons fan but I believe he is only going to get worse and would be wise to trade him now before he is worth nothing.

2 minutes ago, nbostp said:

Matt Ryan's loss of arm strength is also a factor.  He can no longer fit the ball into the tight windows needed once we enter the redzone.  It's sad to watch as a Falcons fan but I believe he is only going to get worse and would be wise to trade him now before he is worth nothing.

This just isn't true, and there's no reason to think it is. 

When was the last time you saw Ryan hit a receiver in stride on a deep throw?  EXACTLY!!!!!!  If he didn't have PI's for his underthrown balls or an ungodly freak of an athlete WR in Jones making catches for him he would never complete one.

7 minutes ago, Keith 3:16 said:

You are flat out blind if you can't see that the ball is not coming out like 3 years ago. Absolutely no question there is a loss of arm strength.

Ryan's balls may not be coming out like it used to, but how do you know that's a consequence of arm strength. I mean he just turned 31. That's NOT old you guys.

Honestly, if his balls are slow I think it may be his form. I'm not convinced Matt Lafleur is a good QB coach. I heard in an article Shanahan likes to surround himself with young guys (lacking experience) at the lower level coaching positions so nobody challenges him. If that's true it is really petty. And how does a 36 year old QB coach for Notre Dame know more about playing QB at the pro level more than Ryan?

Edited by likeriver

I despised the Quinn hire solely because of him attaching his name to Boy Wonder for OC.

We could've had the package of Teryl Austin as HC...very good defensive coordinator from Detroit, and Adam Gase as OC.  

It was Teryl Austin that reportedly got into it with GM #2 Pioli.  That probably sealed his fate, whereas the rah rah good ol boy Quinn fell in line with the timidness of this franchise.

Still trying to figure out what Boy Wonder has ever done to warrant his hiring.  Wasnt it Quinn that said he has the toughest offense he's ever gameplanned for?  Doesnt look that way for other teams.

1 minute ago, likeriver said:

It may not be coming out like it used to, but how do you know that's a consequence of arm strength. I mean he just turned 31. That's NOT old you guys.

Honestly, if his balls are slow I think it may be his form. I'm not convinced Matt Lafleur is a good QB coach. I heard in an article Shanahan likes to surround himself with young guys (lacking experience) at the lower level coaching positions so nobody challenges him.

I saw 2 "Hail Marys" last year that did not travel past 53 yards. The one against the Colt's was simply pathetic. I see receivers having to constantly come back to the ball...besides that he looks great:)

14 minutes ago, nbostp said:

So now Boy Wonder needs another QB?

2 minutes ago, Keith 3:16 said:

I saw 2 "Hail Marys" last year that did not travel past 53 yards. The one against the Colt's was simply pathetic. I see receivers having to constantly come back to the ball...besides that he looks great:)

Not sure how that undermines my point. I don't necessarily disagree that his throws seem weak. I'm asking how you know it's a product of arm strength and not bad throwing form?

Just now, KRUNKuno said:

So now Boy Wonder needs another QB?

I am not sure what the answer to that question is.  I am not a GM nor do I know what we have already paid or owe yet on Ryan's contract.  That being said if I were running things I would at least consider trading Ryan as I now see him a declining asset.  I would also offer SD a 2nd round pick next year for Joey Bosa.  The worst they could say is no and they might do it since the other option is losing a first rounder outright.