Anyone want to have a rational discussion about the bad things we saw last night?

Falcon Ben

I just didn't see adult conversations anywhere else. If I've missed one, please point me to it. 

Last night was not good, and I'm interested in the thoughts of other reasonable fans.  

1. Matt is not looking comfortable in Shanny's system, and Schaub legitimately looked better last night. Ryan does not look comfortable in the least. No, don't be stupid -- we aren't benching Ryan for Schaub. But, it is instructive that Schaub's comfort with the offense seemed to make it operate more effectively. Ryan is clearly a sharp crayon, who can surely understand the system, so I don't know what the solution is. I don't have any answers (for this season), and it irritates me to no end that we are wasting yet another year of our franchise quarterback's prime.   
  2. The lack of pass rush was disturbing, but there are two important things to remember. One, Miami's offensive line is stout, and two, our guys were getting gassed from the hurry up attack. Grady is looking good, but Vic is starting to concern me a bit. Hageman has got no pass rushing skills on the end. Clayborn and Reed are probably about what we think they are. We'll see what Freeney's got left in two weeks. 
  3. Dieon missed a few tackles last night, but I'm not particularly concerned. He'll get better. You can't coach speed. 
  4. Hoop looked pretty good. That fumble was a fluke. 
  5. Our WR depth is probably going to be pretty decent. 
  6. Bloody-*******-**** I'm saddened by Keanu's injury. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Falcon Ben said:

I just didn't see adult conversations anywhere else. If I've missed one, please point me to it. 

Last night was not good, and I'm interested in the thoughts of other reasonable fans.  

1. Matt is not looking comfortable in Shanny's system, and Schaub legitimately looked better last night. Ryan does not look comfortable in the least. No, don't be stupid -- we aren't benching Ryan for Schaub. But, it is instructive that Schaub's comfort with the offense seemed to make it operate more effectively. Ryan is clearly a sharp crayon, who can surely understand the system, so I don't know what the solution is. I don't have any answers (for this season), and it irritates me to no end that we are wasting yet another year of our franchise quarterback's prime.   
  2. The lack of pass rush was disturbing, but there are two important things to remember. One, Miami's offensive line is stout, and two, our guys were getting gassed from the hurry up attack. Grady is looking good, but Vic is starting to concern me a bit. Hageman has got no pass rushing skills on the end. Clayborn and Reed are probably about what we think they are. We'll see what Freeney's got left in two weeks. 
  3. Dieon missed a few tackles last night, but I'm not particularly concerned. He'll get better. You can't coach speed. 

Losing Keanu was the worst part of last night, he is such an important part of this defense. Everything else you mentioned is fixable. 

I'm afraid there is no chance of a rational discussion being had on the day after a bad game...The Usual Suspects are out in droves selling their brand of the "sky is falling", the "homers" or optimists (or whatever you wanna call them) are struggling to make sense of it all, and the normal folks are just trying to hang on to any port in the storm. It's always like this after a disappointing game. Rational and TATF are like oil and water, in any case.

1 minute ago, AndySG said:

I thought Hageman looked pretty good yesterday. Batted down a nice pass and collapsed the pocket on another occasion. 

We are going to have to blitz and scheme if we want pressure, I think. 

He may have looked better than I noticed at times. I'm not a Hage-Hater, and I like him on the edge in base sets, but I didn't see him doing anything but running right at the tackle (ineffectively) last night. Again though, the hurry-up (and the associated fatigue for our D-line) may have been part of the problem. 

3 minutes ago, crimsonhawk said:

I'm afraid there is no chance of a rational discussion being had on the day after a bad game...The Usual Suspects are out in droves selling their brand of the "sky is falling", the "homers" or optimists (or whatever you wanna call them) are struggling to make sense of it all, and the normal folks are just trying to hang on to any port in the storm. It's always like this after a disappointing game. Rational and TATF are like oil and water, in any case.

I refuse to accept that the community can't change this if we want to. 

Sure, there are always gonna be bad apples, but if those of us who enjoy rational discussion speak up and participate more aggressively, we may be able to change this. 

And I'm fine with both the homers and cynics, but arguments/comments should be well-reasoned. I am probably a bit of a homer, but I like to think that I can be objective. 

1 minute ago, Falcon Ben said:

Sure, there are always gonna be bad apples, but if those of us who enjoy rational discussion speak up and participate more aggressively, we may be able to change this. 

And I'm fine with both the homers and cynics, but arguments/comments should be well-reasoned. I am probably a bit of a homer, but I like to think that I can be objective. 

some people just have to complain about everything no matter what.

2 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

That Graham is the only way we could score, and our offense is still struggling to find its way to the end zone in red zone. Also the 3rd and 1 issues seem to be alive and well

I am not terribly worried about this. Last week, we did fine on 3rd and 1. Miami's D-line is stout

4 minutes ago, Falcon Ben said:

I dunno, I've been on this board for a long time, and have yet to see a move towards the middle for much of anyone, especially after a bad game. Maybe it's possible, put I think your key words are "if we want too"....not sure many here really want to. They have their opinions, and in some cases, agendas and most are unwilling to move from them.

Edited by crimsonhawk

4 minutes ago, crimsonhawk said:

I dunno, I've been on this board for a long time, and have yet to see a move towards the middle for much of anyone, especially after a bad game. Maybe it's possible, put I think your key words are "if we want too"....not sure many here really want to. They have their opinions, and in some cases, agendas and most are unwilling to move from them.

There are a number of posters here who are quite reasonable. I think the trick is engaging more with them and ignoring the rest. 

Again, it's not the widely disparate opinions (homers vs. cynics) that I find troubling, its the posts that start off with: MATT SUCKS!!!111 Eleventy!!! QUINN is DONE!1!! Eleventy, etc. 

I just want thoughtful interaction. 

20 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Shanny should be let go, Ryan cannot play good in this offense and Ryan has had 8 years of playing good so it just isn;t a good match. Much cheaper to get rid of Shanny while Ryan still has a few more years left.

While I may be able to get with you on jettisoning Shanny, that isn't going to happen this season. I want things to get better this season! I am not ready to just phone this one in! 

I've become concerned with Ryan. I believe he's better than this so I have no choice but to blame Shanahan and the scheme. I didn't like us coming out throwing to begin the game. Felt like last year. We never established the run. The injuries worry me. I'm worried about Clayborns shoulder. I haven't heard anything yet. If this is the Vic we are getting in the regular season, we can't live without Clayborn. It's obviously too early to label and maybe fatigue and his own shoulder injury affected him but he looked awful. Grady Jarrett, Brooks Reed and Clayborn before he left the game were the only real bright spots on defense. Trufant got the pick but it was on a Reed tip. 

2 minutes ago, Falcon Ben said:

There are a number of posters here who are quite reasonable. I think the trick is engaging more with them and ignoring the rest. 

Again, it's not the widely disparate opinions (homers vs. cynics) that I find troubling, its the posts that start off with: MATT SUCKS!!!111 Eleventy!!! QUINN is DONE!1!! Eleventy, etc. 

I just want thoughtful interaction. 

Again...you always get those types of threads after bad games (see the prerequisite "Matt Schaub should start" thread started last night)....it's a TATF tradition, lol!

i don t think anyone has said we are going to go 16-0 or that there is not reason for concern. but these posts about our season is over, fire everyone are just ridiculous. we have a young defense and they are going to have their ups and downs. not many seem to mention that part of the reason the offense looked so bad last nite is because we faced a very tough front 4. it was a good test for the likes of sea, den and car x2 that we will face later this year and how we might be able to attack them better.

29 minutes ago, Falcon Ben said:

3. every nfl caliber RB that he has tried to tackle has run through him .

i was impressed with how he moved through the triffic this game though he actually read the plays correctly and was there to miss the tackle.

MLB is not all about speed what's makes you believe that a player who has always had troubles missing tackles can play MLB at 227-30 pounds.

7 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

I've become concerned with Ryan. I believe he's better than this so I have no choice but to blame Shanahan and the scheme. I didn't like us coming out throwing to begin the game. Felt like last year. We never established the run. The injuries worry me. I'm worried about Clayborns shoulder. I haven't heard anything yet. If this is the Vic we are getting in the regular season, we can't live without Clayborn. It's obviously too early to label and maybe fatigue and his own shoulder injury affected him but he looked awful. Grady Jarrett, Brooks Reed and Clayborn before he left the game were the only real bright spots on defense. Trufant got the pick but it was on a Reed tip. 

This was the major issue with the offensive performance last night.  We were actually doing okay running the ball, but Shanahan only called 8 runs versus 22 passes with the first string offense.

Miami's pass rushers just pinned their ears back and came full speed at Ryan on every play, especially in the end zone.  Which is why it made zero sense for Shanahan to call passes from an empty set twice in a row inside the 10.