The Redzone possession

atlGM

I'm rewatching the game this morning and got to our redzone possesion. And honestly I didn't realize how bad it was the first time around.

I've seen a lot of people criticizing shanahan for not running the ball and honestly dosen't have any merit IMO. 

1st play.

Matt has a solid pocket. As the pocket starts to be tightened by the ends Hardy and Sanu both run in cutting routes leaving the right side of the field open . Matt has a clear lane to rollout and force the DB's to either make a play on Him as a runner or try and stay with sanu and hardy as they comeback to the QB. Instead you get a ball spiked into the ground.

2nd play

There are five wideouts after Coleman motioning  out of he backfield. Matt is in the shotgun the defense is clearly in man. The ball is snapped and Ryan makes 1 read zeroing in on Robinson who is clearly covered almost resulting in an interception. If he recognizes the coverage he would see that hardy and Sanu are are man to man with no safety help on the right side of the field where there is much more space because the ball was placed on the left hash mark.

If he simply looks off Robinson and turns back to hardy there was 5 yard slant open for a TD .

There was plenty of time no real pressure.

3rd play.

This was just a well covered play by the dolphins secondary the pass should have been thrown out of bounds. But instead Matt zeroes in on Tamme and the safety makes an easy play on the ball.

What I'm seeing is guy who #1 is not reading the field beyond his first progression #2 a QB that is showing 0 pocket presence. Of course the playbook isn't been shown in the preseason but I'm not sure that what Matt is dealing with is playbook oriented.

Edited by atlGM

Ryan is still getting happy feet even when the pressure is not yet on him.  He needs to trust his tackles.  Not sure if he's protecting himself for regular season when he would stand in and take a hit or if he's jumpy from last season. Real game action will tell.

Only thing on the INT is TE let himself get disrupted before the break inside and those tight Windows ruins it.  There is no time to "see" coverage in those situations, you have to trust your WR to get to their spot and you come off the outside read and sling it.  Ryan did it, but timing was off before he could recognize it.

1 hour ago, atlGM said:

I'm rewatching the game this morning and got to our redzone possesion. And honestly I didn't realize how bad it was the first time around.

I've seen a lot of people criticizing shanahan for not running the ball and honestly dosen't have any merit IMO. 

1st play.

Matt has a solid pocket. As the pocket starts to be tightened by the ends Hardy and Sanu both run in cutting routes leaving the right side of the field open . Matt has a clear lane to rollout and force the DB's to either make a play on Him as a runner or try and stay with sanu and hardy as they comeback to the QB. Instead you get a ball spiked into the ground.

2nd play

There are five wideouts after Coleman motioning  out of he backfield. Matt is in the shotgun the defense is clearly in man. The ball is snapped and Ryan makes 1 read zeroing in on Robinson who is clearly covered almost resulting in an interception. If he recognizes the coverage he would see that hardy and Sanu are are man to man with no safety help on the right side of the field where there is much more space because the ball was placed on the left hash mark.

If he simply looks off Robinson and turns back to hardy there was 5 yard slant open for a TD .

There was plenty of time no real pressure.

3rd play.

This was just a well covered play by the dolphins secondary the pass should have been thrown out of bounds. But instead Matt zeroes in on Tamme and the safety makes an easy play on the ball.

What I'm seeing is guy who #1 is not reading the field beyond his first progression #2 a QB that is showing 0 pocket presence. Of course the playbook isn't been shown in the preseason but I'm not sure that what Matt is dealing with is playbook oriented.

In a nutshell, this was the red zone problem all last season. The QB not being able to seamlessly go through his progressions to make the  right decision. 

Just now, Vandy said:

In a nutshell, this was the red zone problem all last season. The QB not being able to seamlessly go through his progressions to make the  right decision. 

Exactly. That's not a playbook problem it's the NFL QB basics that Matt is struggling with. 

12 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

Ryan is still getting happy feet even when the pressure is not yet on him.  He needs to trust his tackles.  Not sure if he's protecting himself for regular season when he would stand in and take a hit or if he's jumpy from last season. Real game action will tell.

Only thing on the INT is TE let himself get disrupted before the break inside and those tight Windows ruins it.  There is no time to "see" coverage in those situations, you have to trust your WR to get to their spot and you come off the outside read and sling it.  Ryan did it, but timing was off before he could recognize it.

I'm sorry bro expecting Tamme to run through the underneath defender who had perfect coverage is a bad read. I know how the play was supposed to work but if the defender has the position on the inside route it's not gonna work not to mention that it was the safety who was helping that made the int.

he did 2 things wrong he threw into great coverage and he never looked anywhere but Tamme.

he has done that bs his whole career. The only difference is that it used to be TG in Tammes shoes.

Edited by atlGM

2 minutes ago, JC Falcon said:

On goalline, Ryan is used to more physical guys (Julio, Roddy, Gonzo) being able to muscle their way in crowded space.  I'm not apologizing for Ryan, but that was a horrible playcall against an obvious tight zone.  You have to have routes coming out of the backfield with that little room to operate.