Atlanta Falcons head coach Dan Quinn, defensive coordinator Richard Smith perturbed by lack of turnovers

birdz4i

By James Rael on Aug 23, 2016, 7:30p 4 4

usa-today-9484141.0.jpg
Scott R. Galvin-USA TODAY Sports

Fact: Dan Quinn makes his own gummy bears

It's been a long time since we've heard anyone say anything nice about the Atlanta Falcons defense. Hearing bad things about the Falcons defense is just ... normal. But I'll say this, Dan Quinn and his merry band of coaches are trying to fix it. They're doing their best to right the ship.

Through two preseason games the Falcons haven't forced a single turnover. As most football fans know, a positive turnover margin does a lot in the win-loss column. Quinn and defensive coordinator Richard Smith obviously understand that as well. That's why they're apparently frustrated with the defense. And that's why Smith is looking for the defense to go hard and force turnovers Thursday night against the Miami Dolphins.

"To do that, you have to hunt like a dog to get them," Smith said in an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday. "You have to be conscious of it. We haven't been able to get that done." The Falcons ranked 27th overall in the NFL in turnover-ratio in 2015, with 30 turnovers and 23 takeaways (15 interceptions, eight fumble recoveries) for a minus-7. Carolina stormed to the Super Bowl with an NFL-best plus-20 turnover margin.

This isn't complicated. Turnovers are important. In fact, they're necessary. So far the defense hasn't looked hungry enough to force turnovers. That needs to change, starting Thursday against the Dolphins. Let the hunt begin, gentlemen.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/8/23/12618864/atlanta-falcons-head-coach-dan-quinn-defensive-coordinator-richard

You practice like you play! Ok,not busting up your own players, but you have to force fumbles or picks even if it makes your own team mates look bad. I don't know that there's a sympathy thing going on as regards showing somebody up but possible. I think a sort of bounty should be offered up even in practice for cause and recovery of turnovers

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

John Madden used to tape a $100 bill to a football, put the ball under a pile

of tackling dummies, then when he blew the whistle, his players would all go into the  pile and fight for the money.

I find that hard to believe considering they make 6-7 figures. I'm just saying if I made a million dollars a $100 bill wouldn't be extra motivation to me.

Then again in his time $100 was worth alot more and salaries may have been less, so maybe it's possible.

16 minutes ago, likeriver said:

I find that hard to believe considering they make 6-7 figures. I'm just saying if I made a million dollars a $100 bill wouldn't be extra motivation to me.

Then again in his time $100 was worth alot more and salaries may have been less, so maybe it's possible.

You're talking about the 60s and 70s when they didn't make the kind of money they do now days. Even as late as 1990 professional sports salaries were just then starting to break the million dollar mark on a consistent basis. Only the elite of the elite were million dollar players.

EDIT: Just came across this Link that states that the average player's salary for 1969 was only $25,000. Now days the average NFL salary is $1.9M (as of 2013).

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You're talking about the 60s and 70s when they didn't make the kind of money they do now days. Even as late as 1990 professional sports salaries were just then starting to break the million dollar mark on a consistent basis. Only the elite of the elite were million dollar players.

EDIT: Just came across this Link that states that the average player's salary for 1969 was only $25,000. Now days the average NFL salary is $1.9M (as of 2013).

To your point, players that played in those days had second jobs during the off season - they didn't make much money at all.

I want to say that the first team hasn't been on the field together as a whole long enough to be concerned, however a goose egg in the takeaway column is concerning.  I'm excited to see how the team responds tonight now that they have been challenged with the emphasis of taking the ball away.  This could show us how much competitive fire our defensive unit has.