NFL roster cuts: what Atlanta Falcons could find themselves on a different NFL roster in the not so distant future?

birdz4i

By James Rael on Aug 23, 2016, 8:10p 4 4

usa-today-9489405.0.jpg
Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

Fact: Thomas Dimitroff's hair smells like starburst and dirt

The first round of Atlanta Falcons roster cuts are right around the corner. By the time the season starts, nearly 40 current Falcons will be cut as the team trims their roster down to 53. That means several quality players will find themselves without jobs. Sure, some of them will land on the practice squad. Others will try to land on their feet elsewhere. Here's a list of players that could find themselves on a different roster before we know it.

Terron Ward

Ward is trying to come back from an ankle injury that's been nagging him for a couple of weeks and Brandon Wilds is doing a **** good job. That seemingly lands Ward on the cut list. But let's not forget about everything he's accomplished as a Falcon. (And for what it's worth, I'm not talking about his 95 rushing yards and 1 rushing touchdown in 2015.) I'm referring to the fact that he was active in 13 games last season. I'm talking about the fact that Kyle Shanahan publicly endorsed him last season. If you're a team with a thin backfield, you could certainly do worse.,

Levine Toilolo

I still think he's on the outside looking in. Against the Cleveland Browns in last week's preseason game, he played only 12 snaps. In this instance, it wasn't an effort to keep him healthy. But there will always be teams looking for a tight end that can block. Levine is just that.

Nick Williams

Williams' preseason has been a mixed bag. He drew a costly holding penalty and dropped what would've been a third down conversion in traffic against the Browns last week. That said, he looked pretty good after halftime. Williams is a scrappy player that earned Matt Ryan's trust last season. For teams with limited options at the back end of their receiving corps, Williams would be a solid addition.

Matt Bryant

The chatter surrounding Bryant's potential departure is growing louder and louder. To be clear, there's absolutely no indication from the team that he won't keep his job. If he is cut and a different team comes knocking, I could see Bryant entertaining the right offer.

J.D. McKissic

The talented young returner may not make the final roster but that doesn't detract from his intrigue. Teams are always looking for that dynamic, game changing player. Could McKissic find a job with a team that has less special teams talent? Maybe.

Your thoughts? What current Falcons could find themselves on another team's roster by the time the season starts?

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/8/23/12619650/nfl-roster-cuts-what-atlanta-falcons-could-find-themselves-on-a

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, YoungHeezy said:

DJ Tialavea has been in a good number of the run blocking sets so far 

Haven't kept track of it, think Tialavea has gone up against mainly second stringers, could be wrong about that.  Toi  has done it longer, in real games with the falcons.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Don't think Toilolo is cut, one of the teams that need a TE to block is the Falcons.

I agree --funny but the Falcons had 3 TEs most of last season -yet he never mentions who he thinks will be #3 this season

if Tamme and Hooper are 1 & 2

options for #3 are Toilolo, Tievelea, Perkins, Lynch

Toilolo has experience and has learned to block and I think he is most likely the best pass catcher of that group

my thoughts

Ward is gone --I just think both Wilds and Gray are better than him ( and I do like him).

Toilolo will make the team

NIck Williams yea he has a bad drop --But so has Sanu, JJ, Hardy

don't remember about their penalties--NW will make it if they keep 6 WRs

Bryant will be the kicker this year after that ????

McKissic  interesting player BUT I just do not see room for him --

(this 1 shot return has happened in the past--it not new)

20 minutes ago, mikeg272 said:

I think Bryant is gone, but I think he will retire. I don't see him going to another team. 

I agree Ward is gone, and I have liked Perkins over Toilolo.

agreethat Perkins has been impressive 

either he goes to PS or Tievelea goes back to PS

2 hours ago, Slappywhite said:

Ward is gone,  also think that Devin Fuller will be cut, IMHO I think Mckissic has beat him out so far, but time will tell we have 2 more preseason games.

Williams is the guy they cut. Fuller is a keeper. McKissic is too. The question is if we keep 7 wr's again and I think we do. If so it'll be 

Jones

Sanu

Hardy

Robinson

Fuller

Weems

McKissic

If we don't keep 7 McKissic goes to PS. 

Not sure about Nick Williams based upon a couple drops since he has a good history.  Lolo and Ward may be gone.  Doubt Weems goes anywhere simply for ST and utility player.

I'd be shocked if Bryant was waived.  

McKissic may be in jeopardy simply due to Fuller's progression in catching passes. Man, it's tight though.

Much will come down to the last two preseason games for some of these guys.  My hope is that the cream will rise and the ones that cannot perform consistently will falter during the coming weeks.  So as to make it less difficult.  I wouldn't want to be Quinn however in a few weeks.

18 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Williams is the guy they cut. Fuller is a keeper. McKissic is too. The question is if we keep 7 wr's again and I think we do. If so it'll be 

Jones

Sanu

Hardy

Robinson

Fuller

Weems

McKissic

If we don't keep 7 McKissic goes to PS. 

Sorry but I can't remember them ever keeping 7 WRs on the active 53 man squad

Can one of the 50 general managers they got be cut? They got about as many general managers as wide receivers,  lmao.  Couldn't resist that one.

On a serious note, Williams might be gone. He does hustle, i like that, but they can't keep all their receivers.

Edited by slickgadawg