a good problem to have

newgafatboy

falcons have a tough decision at running back. no matter what a good back is going to get cut... Freeman is set. you would think Coleman is too but to me he has shown the least all season.... Wilds runs really well, and Gray just showed out when he got the chance, and Johnson is a hard down hill runner, he just takes the ball and goes... IMO he appears to be the best option on short yard plays. any chance they keep 4 backs and try to get one on the practice squad??? but which do you try to sneak thru?

There is a VERY good chance they keep four backs this year, actually.

Now, with that said, the third and fourth "listed" RBs will win their roster spots as stand out special teams guys so you should look more to whom is playing well in that unit as to your window of making the team. 

With that said, their play on offense doesn't hurt either.

Politics and potential make Colemen and Free a lock. We all know Colemen is super talented but he hasn't had the best preseason. Wilds has out played him but no way in **** Wilds would be our number 2 back this year. I think if Wilds finishes how he has played so far he pushes award out. I think Gray falls victim to the numbers game. Colemen will get all the chances in the world due to him having that home run speed and being a 3rd round pick and picked by the Quinn regime. I truly don't believe they anticipated Free out playing Colemen the way he has. I think they would prefer Colemen to be the starter and Free being the 3rd down change of pace back but Freemen is balling too hard to try that. 

Anyone saying Coleman isn't a lock is just being a dip****. Quinn stated just the other day in an interview that Coleman is killing it in camp and is someone that needs to be on everyone's radar. He put the work in this offseason. You can't tell how much he's improved when he's been given 7 carries in 2 games... 

20 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Anyone saying Coleman isn't a lock is just being a dip****. Quinn stated just the other day in an interview that Coleman is killing it in camp and is someone that needs to be on everyone's radar. He put the work in this offseason. You can't tell how much he's improved when he's been given 7 carries in 2 games... 

I agree with this, and with the statement above that Freeman and Coleman are the known commodities and the battle is between Wilds, Gray and Johnson. I do think the injury to Ward will be his demise, he never really showed me all that much last year. I personally believe Wilds makes the team and the battle is between Gray and Johnson for the 4th spot

As I have pointed out in other threads---In the past the Falcons have normally kept 4 RBs (sometimes 3, occasionally even 5) 

It has usually been a balancing of 10 players --the best RBs and Best  WRs  either 6/4  5/5 4/6

It will depend on what the staff thinks gives them the best weapons

if what Quinn has preached since coming to town is true....Coleman isn't a lock... there are no "sacred cows"..I'm not suggesting Coleman shouldn't or wont make the team...i like the big run threat..... but just for conversation sake.... wonder why they inserted Coleman as kick returner last week?

12 minutes ago, newgafatboy said:

if what Quinn has preached since coming to town is true....Coleman isn't a lock... there are no "sacred cows"..I'm not suggesting Coleman shouldn't or wont make the team...i like the big run threat..... but just for conversation sake.... wonder why they inserted Coleman as kick returner last week?

I'm pretty sure theres 0% of him losing his spot unless he slips in the shower again. Then it might be 0.0000000000000000000001% chance.

8 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Exactly. People put way too much emphasis based on what they (think) they are seeing in meaningless preseason games.......good and bad....Coleman is killing it in camp, and is going to be major part of this offense. 

Julio hasn't done much in two preseason games either....I guess he's on the bubble too....

Edited by Vandy

7 hours ago, delaigle said:

As I have pointed out in other threads---In the past the Falcons have normally kept 4 RBs (sometimes 3, occasionally even 5) 

It has usually been a balancing of 10 players --the best RBs and Best  WRs  either 6/4  5/5 4/6

It will depend on what the staff thinks gives them the best weapons

Except we kept 3 rbs and 7 wrs last year... you missed a year bro.

Edited by Aries2887

I've had really, really high hopes for Coleman. Watching his college tape though, it seems to my untrained eye that he basically excelled due to his extreme athleticism. He was just able to crush through lesser opponents. I think that might be why he had some rookie trouble. He had a tough time getting some steam going. He also seems like the kind of back that will wear down the D and get better as the game goes on. I do think that Coleman can be great, he just needs to make a few adjustments.

All that being said, I'm really wondering if these new backs are actually as good as they look, or if it's that our O-line is putting up some really great blocks with the addition of Mr. Mack. 

Either way, pencil me in as excited for our ground game. I think we're gonna shove our running game down some throats this season. Hopefully it's more consistent this season.

except Jones has proven over the years he can play we know what we ahve in jones ....jury is still out on Coleman.... Coleman proved nothing last year except he gets injured and his sickle cell trait keeps him out of practices... oh and he has issues holding onto the ball.  Coleman has potential, so did Jerious Norwood, but he hasn't done anything to SOLIDIFY a position other than costing us a draft pick... i hope he balls out, but until then he's just another uniform

22 minutes ago, newgafatboy said:

except Jones has proven over the years he can play we know what we ahve in jones ....jury is still out on Coleman.... Coleman proved nothing last year except he gets injured and his sickle cell trait keeps him out of practices... oh and he has issues holding onto the ball.  Coleman has potential, so did Jerious Norwood, but he hasn't done anything to SOLIDIFY a position other than costing us a draft pick... i hope he balls out, but until then he's just another uniform

I am in the same boat as you at this point. I sure hope I am wrong. At this time Coleman is a threat only. Threat at only seeing the field. The small sample size we have seen in the past for me is just hard to get behind and say I am all in on the Coleman train. RB is a position that demands a lot from a human body every time you touch the ball. At the NFL level it could be to much for Coleman to push himself though the entire season. Heck if he can't go during practice what makes you believe he can play an entire 16+ game NFL year?

17 minutes ago, high impact said:

I am in the same boat as you at this point. I sure hope I am wrong. At this time Coleman is a threat only. Threat at only seeing the field. The small sample size we have seen in the past for me is just hard to get behind and say I am all in on the Coleman train. RB is a position that demands a lot from a human body every time you touch the ball. At the NFL level it could be to much for Coleman to push himself though the entire season. Heck if he can't go during practice what makes you believe he can play an entire 16+ game NFL year?

Not sure where this ant-Coleman gunk is About....he was a rookie last year, showed some flash as well as some rookie mistakes...that's what rookies tend to do. Quinn/shanny seem pleased with what they've seen in TC, and free wore down latter part of last season...Coleman was durable in college, no reason to not think he will be the same as a pro. Bottom line, we need Coleman to share the load with free and I believe  he's going to surprise a lot of the naysayers here wrong...

first ...i"m not anti Coleman, and i don't exactly believe running backs are a dime a dozen..if that were true they'd all be like Barry sanders .. some have "vision" that all RB's don't posses.... or some trait that make them stand out...  second have you ever heard a coach say anything negative when asked about a specific player???  they always say some generic "they are having a good camp"... third... how many work out warriors have passed thru the nfl.... guys that just don't show up on game day,,,, or vise versa.... guys that don't practice well but show out on sundays.... all that said this thread wasn't to bash or doubt Coleman, it was more about the other three guys , all three have  different running styles and all three have looked really good. i cant remember last time that has happened in atl....its always been" ok who will rise to take the number three spot"

3 minutes ago, newgafatboy said:

first ...i"m not anti Coleman, and i don't exactly believe running backs are a dime a dozen..if that were true they'd all be like Barry sanders .. some have "vision" that all RB's don't posses.... or some trait that make them stand out...  second have you ever heard a coach say anything negative when asked about a specific player???  they always say some generic "they are having a good camp"... third... how many work out warriors have passed thru the nfl.... guys that just don't show up on game day,,,, or vise versa.... guys that don't practice well but show out on sundays.... all that said this thread wasn't to bash or doubt Coleman, it was more about the other three guys , all three have  different running styles and all three have looked really good. i cant remember last time that has happened in atl....its always been" ok who will rise to take the number three spot"

RBs being a "dime a dozen" doesnt mean that all RBs are the same. 

13 minutes ago, newgafatboy said:

I just think it's premature for anyone to be saying a 2nd year player is or isn't this or that.......Coleman needs to improve over last year, so far in camp all indications are he has......same for Beasley, Collins, Hardy et al.....Jake Matthews and Freeman both made huge strides in their second seasons.....

My guess is Hooper and Campbell especially will struggle this year as well.....but I think it's wise to reserve judgement on most players until they have gone through at least their second season.....some may even take longer (ala Hageman) before you can see what kind of player they will be. 

Edited by Vandy