John Abraham was the best Falcons pass rusher since Claude Humphrey...

Spts1

Abraham was the best PURE pass rusher the Falcons have had since Claude Humphrey. No stunts, no nothing, just pure beat your man one on one.  What made me think of this is the fact that the Falcons have struggled for years in the pass rush department. We all know this isn't anything new under Quinn.

What has been learned is pure pass rushers just don't fall off the tree. This makes me appreciate more of what Abraham did in his tenure in Atlanta.  We need Beasley to be like Abraham. I can't remember off the top of my head, anybody that was better one on one than Abraham, since Claude:

abrahamsack.gif?w=650

john-abraham-beat-jake-long-o.gif

Matt-Cassel-Throws-Ball-at-Defenders-Feet.gif

john-abraham-jpg.jpg

0844629001429052528_filepicker.jpg

GYI0063059985.jpg

Edited by slickgadawg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Chuck Smith says otherwise

Found my answer.  Seems that the coaching of Bill Kollar was credited as the success that Chuck Smith had. Chuck was good though, no doubt. Shane Dronett lead those Falcons teams in sacks...

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/7/30/969943/what-can-bill-kollar-do-for-you

The second type is a smaller, high motor, speed rushing defensive end.  Chuck Smith in Atlanta, Leonard Little in St. Louis, and Aaron Schobel in Buffalo were all similar players who had their best production under Kollar.  Chuck Smith (6’2", 257) averaged 9 sacks a year under Kollar but managed only 5.5 sacks in the rest of his career without Kollar's tutelage.  Leonard Little (6’3", 261) averaged 12 sacks a year under Kollar and 5 a year without him.  Aaron Schobel (6’4", 262) had his only two Pro Bowl selections and highest sack total under Kollar before being injured for most of 2008. 

9 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Aundray Bruce was a nightmare I don't ever want to see again.

to be funny I was going to look for a video of Aundray Bruce highlights so I searched that. This is what came up:

d0ranSp.jpg

I know Clowney should get the benefit of the doubt but boy they sure have tied him to Bruce early.

8 minutes ago, Jesus said:

to be funny I was going to look for a video of Aundray Bruce highlights so I searched that. This is what came up:

d0ranSp.jpg

I know Clowney should get the benefit of the doubt but boy they sure have tied him to Bruce early.

I live here in Houston.  Keep this @#%* away from Texas LOL...

2 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Abraham is my favorite falcon we've had in my fanship (since 98) besides Tuggle and Julio. By far the best trade we've ever made. I miss him terribly on our team. Cutting him was way worse than Roddy imo because he was still a beast. 

I hope Beasley can become 60% of Abraham.

Really, if you look back, not signing Abraham was the beginning of the end for Smith and Dimitroff. I knew it was a mistake when it happened. Abraham had at least two more good years in him...

Edited by slickgadawg

55 minutes ago, dirtybird2k5 said:

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case at all. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1584560-osi-umenyiora-signing-keeps-falcons-as-top-super-bowl-contenders

While the NFC has turned into an all-out arms race this offseason, the Atlanta Falcons signing of defensive end OsiUmenyiora should keep the reigning NFC South champions near the top of the list of Super Bowl contenders next season.

In fact, the move marks the third smart decision of the last month to come down from general manager Thomas Dimitroff, who has also signed running back Steven Jackson and lured tight end Tony Gonzalez out from retirement. 

14 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1584560-osi-umenyiora-signing-keeps-falcons-as-top-super-bowl-contenders

While the NFC has turned into an all-out arms race this offseason, the Atlanta Falcons signing of defensive end OsiUmenyiora should keep the reigning NFC South champions near the top of the list of Super Bowl contenders next season.

In fact, the move marks the third smart decision of the last month to come down from general manager Thomas Dimitroff, who has also signed running back Steven Jackson and lured tight end Tony Gonzalez out from retirement. 

That's the opinion of the writer of the article.  It doesn't say that anyone in the front office thought Osi Umenyora was a better option as a pass rusher than Abe was.  The problems with Abe had nothing to do with his on field production.

5 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

Abraham finished his career with more sacks than Lawrence Taylor.

Taylor's rookie year was 1981. Sacks didn't become an official stat until 1982. Considering that Taylor was an All-Pro as a rookie I'm gonna guess that he had more than 1 sack that year which would give him more than Abraham.