Falcons' Dwight Freeney to Vic Beasley: Stand out, be dominant

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/21948/falcons-dwight-freeney-to-vic-beasley-stand-out-be-dominant

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons figured signing veteran pass-rusher and seven-time Pro Bowler Dwight Freeney would have a positive impact on the younger players.

It has.

A couple weeks ago, Freeney pulled aside second-year rusher Vic Beasley Jr. and relayed a strong message to the former eighth-overall draft pick.

"He said, `It's all about standing out and being a dominant player,'' and obviously he's been that,'' Beasley said. ``We talk on the practice field and in the locker room. We talk everywhere. ... It's just about making folks notice me and standing out.''

Falcons linebacker Vic Beasley aims to get healthy and make a bigger impact in his second season. Brett Davis/USA TODAY Sports

Beasley would be the first to say he has yet to play up to his potential. He flashed as rookie last year and had a team-high four sacks, but he was far from dominant. Beasley played the entire year with a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

As the Falcons prepare for the 2016 regular season, Beasley once again has an obstacle to overcome. He sprained the AC joint in the same shoulder last week in practice, an injury that caused him to miss the second preseason game at Cleveland last Thursday. Beasley was limited during Sunday's practice.

``I feel good,'' Beasley said. ``I'm just trying to strengthen it up as much as I can; rehab. I'm doing (resistance) bands. Just the normal rehab.''

Beasley explained how he suffered the injury.

``It was just an inside stunt, and (got hit) by one of my teammates,'' he said. ``They were trying to clean me up. You know how that is. Who was it? I don't know. But I'm rehabbing. I'm trying to get back out there for Miami (Thursday).''

The Falcons are counting on Beasley to boost the pass rush despite making a transition to strong-side linebacker. He'll rush from the left defensive end spot as part of a nickel rush group that will feature Freeney on the other edge and a combination of players such Adrian Clayborn, Derrick Shelby, Grady Jarrett, and Jonathan Babineaux inside. The Falcons are trying to make a drastic improvement after finishing last in the league with 19 total sacks a year ago.

Beasley, like the coaching staff, insists the new role won't take him away from his pass-rush specialty.

``The adjustment to Sam has been good, now I'm just trying to earn it out here on the field,'' Beasley said. ``I'm trying to be a leader by example and be the best player I can be.''

At his best, Beasley is expected to be dominant.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what i feel Golden Boy is lacking.  The actual desire to be a dominant pass rusher and football player.  Like I said in the other thread a week or two ago, he's got the talent but is he a football player?  I havent seen that yet from him.  Didnt see it in college either.  

Like Ray Lewis said, he doesn't have that dog in him...

Yet

Actually several ppl said it, yea im super high on VIc, been waiting for us to take top PR since like forever..... but word is he just likes doing his charity and church work, wants to help ppl. .  That is awesome, but so far he just doesnt have that alpha male mentality from what we can see, not saying he doesnt but he doesnt seem competitive at a level some of the other guys are, certainly not someone like Freeney, I think Vic will end up a 8 sack a year type player but I so hope that I am wrong.  

I don't give a chit about what Ray Lewis says...  Ray Lewis doesn't define Vic Beasley man.  

Everyone always slurps up Ray Lewis this and Ray Lewis that... When you start letting Ray Lewis define a man's character or his future, then you may want to reassess things.

Vic has also dealt with the passing of his father among other things.  I think i'll stay in Beasley's corner.  

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I don't give a chit about what Ray Lewis says...  Ray Lewis doesn't define Vic Beasley man.  

Everyone always slurps up Ray Lewis this and Ray Lewis that... When you start letting Ray Lewis define a man's character or his future, then you may want to reassess things.

Vic has also dealt with the passing of his father among other things.  I think i'll stay in Beasley's corner.  

I don't think it's smart to just totally disavow the opinion of a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. The man knows defense, and he knows what it takes to be dominant. Beasley clearly does not have that, "dog" in him. Not saying he can't be good. But my money says he will not be great.

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

You focused on the Ray Lewis aspect.  It's not about being in Vic's corner or not as much as it is about is Vic really in the mentality of being a dominant player.  

He plays soft.  There isnt a lot of fire behind his play.  He's physically talented, but his demeanor doesnt always seem to be in attack mode.

9 minutes ago, tone357 said:

I don't think it's smart to just totally disavow the opinion of a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. The man knows defense, and he knows what it takes to be dominant. Beasley clearly does not have that, "dog" in him. Not saying he can't be good. But my money says he will not be great.

OK, so you are with Ray Lewis.  Fine.  

Maybe Vic doesn't act the way Ray wants him to act.  I still think Beasley can be a difference maker & a playmaker.

I get what you're saying though brother...  Ray def had the dog in him man.  

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

You focused on the Ray Lewis aspect.  It's not about being in Vic's corner or not as much as it is about is Vic really in the mentality of being a dominant player.  

He plays soft.  There isnt a lot of fire behind his play.  He's physically talented, but his demeanor doesnt always seem to be in attack mode.

I guess we'll see.  Not so sure he doesn't have the fire though.  

2 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

OK, so you are with Ray Lewis.  Fine.  

Maybe Vic doesn't act the way Ray wants him to act.  I still think Beasley can be a difference maker & a playmaker.

I get what you're saying though brother...  Ray def had the dog in him man.  

It's not really a question of me being with Ray, I just respect his opinion. We'll just have to wait and see what Beasley becomes. By all means I hope he becomes a destroyer.

Edited by tone357

I get the sense that Vic lacks confidence and killer instinct.  I think he needs to get laid nahhmean...

He's got all the ability but the execution is weak. His spin move... has it ever worked? Everytime I see it, he just efin cuts a 360 like he's dancing with the lt. 

I want to see this dude playing with gritted teeth and with the intentions of murdahh

Dude was our best PR as a rookie AND with a torn labrum. The kid has played like 1.5 snaps this preseason, and when he did he either: A) got pressure, B) got held.

I'm not exactly sure where all the panic is coming from. I know we're all a little antsy because we have had a pass rusher in forever, but let's all just keep cool and be thankful we're going in a good direction.

26 minutes ago, likeriver said:

Dude was our best PR as a rookie AND with a torn labrum. The kid has played like 1.5 snaps this preseason, and when he did he either: A) got pressure, B) got held.

I'm not exactly sure where all the panic is coming from. I know we're all a little antsy because we have had a pass rusher in forever, but let's all just keep cool and be thankful we're going in a good direction.

Great post likeriver.  

But but but, ray lewis said he don't have that dog in him.  We have a few misfits who like to go all neg all the time and try to incite panic as you are aware.  He wouldn't be where he's at if he didn't have that drive.

Keep cool is the way to go...  Vic Beasley has already shown he's going to be a good player for us.  It's just a matter of how good he can become.

2 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

This is what i feel Golden Boy is lacking.  The actual desire to be a dominant pass rusher and football player.  Like I said in the other thread a week or two ago, he's got the talent but is he a football player?  I havent seen that yet from him.  Didnt see it in college either.  

Yet

He can play he's just in the wrong scheme . He should be a 3-4 outside backer rushing standing up majority of the time.

24 minutes ago, atlGM said:

He can play he's just in the wrong scheme . He should be a 3-4 outside backer rushing standing up majority of the time.

Scheme has nothing to do with it. Especially since we run a very similar scheme so essentially he IS rushing as a 3-4 OLB in a 4-3 under and he goes to DE in nickel. That man will be just fine. I think ppl let a calm demeanor fool them. You have your "dawg" types and you have your silent killers like Abe was. Vic is gonna be a silent killer. Just the few plays I saw him rush in preseason he made something happen. He Def drew penalties from Washington. They only called one tho. 

3 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Yet

That kid has plenty dog in him. I saw it in college so I don't know what you saw but he went hard. The season hasnt started yet so I don't even know why this discussion is coming up? He played one preseason game just for a few snaps and basically quietly wreaked havoc on the RT. He got flagged for one and shoulda got flagged for a straight up tackle on which Beasley would've for sure had a sack. Let's wait till after the season to see. This is clowney's 3 season and he only has .5 more professional sacks than Beasley. Year 2 is usually when they make the leap.  Let's see...