NFL removes 'probable' designation from team injury reports

The NFL confirmed Sunday a streamlined policy for reporting an injured player's game status during the regular season, a move that addresses the rise of gamesmanship among teams that want to limit that information for competitive purposes.

Under the revised policy, approved recently by the NFL competition committee, the "probable" category has been eliminated and the remaining classifications have been redefined.

Two days before kickoff, teams must list injured players as "questionable," "doubtful" or "out" for that game.

"Questionable" players, per the policy, are "uncertain" to play. Previously, the definition was that there was a 50 percent likelihood of playing.

"Doubtful" means the player is "unlikely" to participate in the game and "out" means he "will not play." The previous definition for "doubtful" was a 75 percent likelihood that he would not play. A primary intent of the changes is to nudge teams away from listing relatively healthy players on an injury report. According to the league, roughly 95 percent of players listed as "probable" in prior years ended up playing. "If there is any question concerning a player's availability for the game," the policy reads, "he should be listed as "questionable.'"

It remains to be seen whether teams will go along with the change or just shift players they once would have listed as "probable" into the new "questionable" category.

As in previous years, teams also will be required to file practice reports during the week to confirm the extent of practice participation. All injured players must be listed under one of three categories. If he did not practice, the terminology will be "did not participate." If an injured player practices, he will be listed under either "limited participation" if he took less than 100 percent of his normal reps, or "full participation" if he took 100 percent of his normal reps.

If an injured player is certain to play, even if he has been listed on the practice report, he cannot be placed on the game status report. In theory, this will minimize speculation about a player who in truth is cleared for normal duty.

An official explanation will be required by the league if any team deactivates an injured player who was not listed under the game status report. Discipline is possible if the spirit of the policy is violated.

So 95% of the probable players ended up playing...no surprise.  50% is uncertain(questionable)...its 50/50. 75% is always doubtful.

I can't stand the NFL office...trying to fix things that aren't a problem.

Doesn't every franchise practice "gamesmanship"?  When it comes to player status.

This must be a "fantasy thing."

36 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

So 95% of the probable players ended up playing...no surprise.  50% is uncertain(questionable)...its 50/50. 75% is always doubtful.

I can't stand the NFL office...trying to fix things that aren't a problem.

Doesn't every franchise practice "gamesmanship"?  When it comes to player status.

This must be a "fantasy thing."

I think it's an issue like with the Patriots ALWAYS listing Tom Brady on the injury report even though Tom Brady has never missed a game outside of 2008 when he had the ACL injury.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I think it's an issue like with the Patriots ALWAYS listing Tom Brady on the injury report even though Tom Brady has never missed a game outside of 2008 when he had the ACL injury.

When TB was injured everyone knew that. Any other time, guarantee they thought he ways playing...gamblers included.

I just see the NFL looking for a solution....there is no problem.

2 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

When TB was injured everyone knew that. Any other time, guarantee they thought he ways playing...gamblers included.

I just see the NFL looking for a solution....there is no problem.

Of course everyone knew he was playing. So why was he listed on the injury report every game? I understand why the NFL is trying to eliminate things like this from happening.

I think this is a good thing for teams as they will no longer be forced to list a player on the injury report for silly injuries that affect their game in no way.  That's how I take it atleast.  

Like Julio Jones - toe nail - probable

It's also good for us

Tatfer 1 - OMG what's going on with Julios toe?!

Tatfer 2 - mmmm yes..I'll field this one guys. Mmmmm you see, he's listed as "probable" which mmmm means he'll likely play..according to my graph here you'll notice. ...

Tatfer 3 - holy **** are you a freaking moron? !?! EHHHHHDURRRRRRR he's listed as probable learn TO FREAKING READ! !!! ER MUH GOD I need a nap

Tatfer 4 - they're not telling us everything guys.  My uncle had this injury.  He had to have his entire right side amputated. Dimitroffed.

ahh the nfl and the constant need to try to "improve" s***. lets move the kickoff forwards so there is less chance of a return! they get more touch backs like they wanted and less "collisions". now they penalize teams for getting those touch backs by moving the ball to the 25.

35 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

I think this is a good thing for teams as they will no longer be forced to list a player on the injury report for silly injuries that affect their game in no way.  That's how I take it atleast.  

It's also good for us

Tatfer 2 - mmmm yes..I'll field this one guys. Mmmmm you see, he's listed as "probable" which mmmm means he'll likely play..according to my graph here you'll notice. ...

Tatfer 3 - holy **** are you a freaking moron? !?! EHHHHHDURRRRRRR he's listed as probable learn TO FREAKING READ! !!! ER MUH GOD I need a nap

Tatfer 4 - they're not telling us everything guys.  My uncle had this injury.  He had to have his entire right side amputated. Dimitroffed.

Amazing accuracy sir

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Of course everyone knew he was playing. So why was he listed on the injury report every game? I understand why the NFL is trying to eliminate things like this from happening.

Who cares?  We/They knew he was playing. What deception/upperhand.

Just now, birdz4i said:

ahh the nfl and the constant need to try to "improve" s***. 

+1 improve stuff that ain't broke.

1 hour ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

It's also good for us

you forgot tatfer Jedi and his "IT'S SHREDDEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD"

bahahaha

2 hours ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

It's also good for us

I can actually name those 4 tafters

1 minute ago, delaigle said:

they do not turn in the 46 list until 1 hour before the game--

I think the other teams have a better idea about the extent of opponents injures from the media than from some strange little list the NFL keeps on hand

Think this is for gambling and fantasy sports.

1 hour ago, brewman said:

I'm failing to see the butt-hurt many of you are having about this change.  All it does is shorten the weekly injury report to include only those players that have a realistic chance of not playing.  What's the problem?

Teams will most likely still list most of those players but they'll all be questionable now.

The biggest impact to fans is gambling and fantasy FB.

3 hours ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

It's also good for us

Oh Man!

I can't stop laughing

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Teams will most likely still list most of those players but they'll all be questionable now.

The biggest impact to fans is gambling and fantasy FB.

It's become a cliche that nobody in the NFL is 100% after the first day of camp so if anything this change to the injury report should be a help to the gamblers out there, because it reduces the amount of useless info you need to wade through.

Edited by brewman

9 minutes ago, brewman said:

If they're not on the list then they're probable.  Pretty simple really.

It was already simple. Now what happens is a coach doest label a player as questionable because hes 95 percent sure he will play and he ends up not playing. Meanwhile you had no idea there was ever a concern. Making all players not on the list "probable" actually makes more questions than answers.