New 4 round mock

These are the positions of need as I see them. DE, RG, DT, TE (blocking TE), NB. Freeney is only here for this year and I'm not a fan of drafting a DE/pass rusher in the 1st Rd unless they are really considered to be a stud or potential elite player. I also don't think it's a good idea to have a rookie along with Beasley. The rookie I like most tho is Charles Harris. So here it is.

FA: DE Jabaal Sheard 

1. RG Dan Feeney 

His natural position and perfect for our ZBS. Very athletic and also a good pass blocker. Major upgrade at RG.

2. DT Charles Walker

Good against the run and plays hard with a little mean streak. I think he has good upside and could start right away. We could possibly be without Babs, Jackson, and Hageman next year.

3. TE Jeremy Sprinkle 

Hooper will be our receiving TE but Shanahan also likes a blocking TE. Sprinkle also catches the ball ok but I think he could be used best as a blocker.

4. NB Chidobe Awuzie 

He has the size DQ likes in CB's. He's played NB and outside. I think he's played a little safety too. I think Alford may walk, so other than Poole we don't have another NB.

Agree that Alford is most likely walking, he will most likely want to much money but I doubt there drafting there nickel corner to start.  Nickel corner in a lot of ways is harder to play than one of the boundary corners. You have all the traffic to deal with, plus having to stack full backs pulling guards, and tight ends. You have to play more off of others inside. That position is more cerebral and instincts that athleticism. They could draft a corner, but I serioulsy doubt they go into the draft looking to get a starting nickel corner. I think that would be a free agency move or next man up more than a green rookie at that position.

4 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

Agree that Alford is most likely walking, he will most likely want to much money but I doubt there drafting there nickel corner to start.  Nickel corner in a lot of ways is harder to play than one of the boundary corners. You have all the traffic to deal with, plus having to stack full backs pulling guards, and tight ends. You have to play more off of others inside. That position is more cerebral and instincts that athleticism. They could draft a corner, but I serioulsy doubt they go into the draft looking to get a starting nickel corner. I think that would be a free agency move or next man up more than a green rookie at that position.

I never said anything about Awuzie starting. I think Poole will probably start next year at NB if Alford leaves. But you never know with DQ. He makes everybody earn their job. Unlike Smitty. I do think we draft a CB to compete with Poole most likely for NB.

19 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I never said anything about Awuzie starting. I think Poole will probably start next year at NB if Alford leaves. But you never know with DQ. He makes everybody earn their job. Unlike Smitty. I do think we draft a CB to compete with Poole most likely for NB.

Another guy that a lot of people are sleeping on is Fabian Moreau out of UCLA. He had an ankle injury or something like that couple years back but before that he was highly talented. He's coming back from injury, he's a guy to look for. Complete corner, 4.3 speed aggressive style of play. He could very well play our free as well as nickel really. Check him out.

34 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

Another guy that a lot of people are sleeping on is Fabian Moreau out of UCLA. He had an ankle injury or something like that couple years back but before that he was highly talented. He's coming back from injury, he's a guy to look for. Complete corner, 4.3 speed aggressive style of play. He could very well play our free as well as nickel really. Check him out.

I was posting about him 2 years ago. He'll go 2-3 Rd. We don't need to draft a CB that high. He's good tho.

5 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

I was posting about him 2 years ago. He'll go 2-3 Rd. We don't need to draft a CB that high. He's good tho.

Maybe, I'm thinking he ends up like Ifo Ekpre-Olumu, I hope I spelled his name right, and Perrish Cox. These guys definitely didn't get drafted where they should have been. Just think it's taking him too long to come back from that ankle injury. I think he deserves to go early like these guys did, but he will probably slip to around 5 in my opinion but it's early.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, AndySG said:

Honestly, I can't imagine not using our first round pick on a defensive lineman. 

I can. It depends on FA and where we are picking. If we get a pass rusher in FA (I think Sheard is the best one) then we definitely can go OG 1st. Even if we are picking around the same spot as last draft, I can see going with Feeney. He would be just like Neal was. We won't be able to get him with our 2nd pick. But he is that good IMO.

I just don't think it's a good idea to pair a rookie pass rusher with Beasley. We need a proven vet. If we could get Sheard and if we have a top 10 pick, then I would take CB Marlon Humphrey and then OG/C  Pat Elflein. If we don't get a pass rusher in FA then my first pick would be Charles Harris or Smoot. We don't need another small rusher like Beasley.

9 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I can. It depends on FA and where we are picking. If we get a pass rusher in FA (I think Sheard is the best one) then we definitely can go OG 1st. Even if we are picking around the same spot as last draft, I can see going with Feeney. He would be just like Neal was. We won't be able to get him with our 2nd pick. But he is that good IMO.

I just don't think it's a good idea to pair a rookie pass rusher with Beasley. We need a proven vet. If we could get Sheard and if we have a top 10 pick, then I would take CB Marlon Humphrey and then OG/C  Pat Elflein. If we don't get a pass rusher in FA then my first pick would be Charles Harris or Smoot. We don't need another small rusher like Beasley.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.  We need to pair him with a vet. Just considering the make up of Quins former team. He had Irvin at SAM, Avril, Clemons, and Bennett at LEO where both Avril and Clemons played the LEO almost exclusively and Bennett rotating from that and also 3 and 5. Now, with that being stated, we might not be looking for someone to pair with Beasley, more realistically we will probably be looking for someone to pair with Sheard. Think about what Seattle did, they stocked up, they already had Clemons, they went out and picked up both Bennett and Avril in free agency and still drafted Irvin. None of these guys had more than 10 sacks, it was the collective that got the job done. A hockey line type rotation.  I think it's possible we do the same, do something like pick up Sheard with Alex Okafor, and/or (most likely or) Devin Taylor in free agency because Beasley will be at SAM, you really need someone to pair with Sheard you still need a Bennett type player who can play 5 and slide inside to 3 when he wants to go Nascar (like Seattle did with Avril, Clemons/Irvin and Bennett at 3).

That being said, the more important pick up WOULD BE someone to pair with Sheard. It's better monetary wise to draft a guard, we will have a lot of money tied up in the O-line for the next 3 years, it would also be better monetary wise to draft Sheard's versatile opposite.  Thing is zone blocking guards aren't required to be road graders. You can find those quick footed, pass blocking guards later, they are usually players who played tackle in college but don't have the length to play the position in the NFL.

Scenario 1: for top 3 picks with considering what you are saying...

1. Malik McDowell (5/3)

2. Devonte Fields (LEO)

3. Johnny Casper (OG)

Scenario 2:

1. Jonathan Allen (5/3)

2. Dorian Johnson (OG)

3. Josh Carraway (LEO)

Scenario 3: 

1. Charles Walker (5/3)

2. Taco Charlton (LEO) I see him being able to develop into a decent 5 as well could play inside at 3 in certain packages

3. Greg Pyke (OG)

Scenario 4:

1. Dan Feeney (OG)

2. Isaac Rochell (5/3)

3. Deshawn Hall (LEO)

Quinn wants to have the same thing he had in Seattle, he didn't have a Tim Williams, or Myles Garrett type of player. He had a hockey line type rotation with a bunch of guys, don't think any of these guys will ever average more than 8 sacks. Maybe one or two got more than 10 in maybe one season but for the most part these are all on average 5-8 sack guys.  The versatility and rotation is more important in his system.

Michael Bennett

Cliff Avril

Bruce Irvin

Brandon Mebane

O'brien Schofield

Jordan Hill

Chris Clemons

Edited by datchrisb1