Devonta Freeman & Tevin Coleman: Two Pairs of Runs

RandomFan

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/08/20/devonta-freeman-tevin-coleman-two-pairs-of-runs/

I'm not the author of this post. Click the link to help the actual author if you like the content :)

Devonta Freeman & Tevin Coleman: Two Pairs of Runs

Why is Devonta Freeman the starter and Tevin Coleman the backup? Two pairs of runs tell the story.

Coleman is a stronger and faster player. When he earns big gains, the runs are often more exciting because they are displays of his superior strength and long speed. They also require more physical labor that’s unnecessary.

Freeman is a more advanced decision maker with better footwork that sets up what his offensive line is giving to him. Two pairs of plays in this 10-minute video highlight the differences.

Apologies in advance for the audio and video quality, this is a one-take, 10-minute instruction session on the fly.

This is a link to the video, it wouldn't embed for whatever reason.

Coleman entered the league as a boom-bust prospect who generated scintillating big plays but lacked the refined footwork and skill at executing natural cutback opportunities within a zone scheme. It’s why I describe him as a “boom-bust” runner. He fails to deliver consistent production that moves the chains under more difficult conditions compared to Freeman.

If Coleman can learn to slow and shorten his stride past the exchange and develop more confidence in tighter creases that yield better one-on-one opportunities when he hits them, he’ll earn more yards with less work and reduce his inefficiency on a carry-by-carry basis.

Note: My friend and colleague Jene Bramel questioned the scheme for the first Coleman run shown. He wondered if it was an ISO with the lead fullback. I considered that thought when first viewing the play but it’s clear that Sanu’s backside block is designed to work with the tight end to create a back side crease. As a result, I believe this play to be more of a zone concept than a man concept.

Edited by RandomFan

14 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/08/20/devonta-freeman-tevin-coleman-two-pairs-of-runs/

Why is Devonta Freeman the starter and Tevin Coleman the backup? Two pairs of runs tell the story.

Coleman is a stronger and faster player. When he earns big gains, the runs are often more exciting because they are displays of his superior strength and long speed. They also require more physical labor that’s unnecessary.

Freeman is a more advanced decision maker with better footwork that sets up what his offensive line is giving to him. Two pairs of plays in this 10-minute video highlight the differences.

Apologies in advance for the audio and video quality, this is a one-take, 10-minute instruction session on the fly.

This is a link to the video, it wouldn't embed for whatever reason.

Coleman entered the league as a boom-bust prospect who generated scintillating big plays but lacked the refined footwork and skill at executing natural cutback opportunities within a zone scheme. It’s why I describe him as a “boom-bust” runner. He fails to deliver consistent production that moves the chains under more difficult conditions compared to Freeman.

If Coleman can learn to slow and shorten his stride past the exchange and develop more confidence in tighter creases that yield better one-on-one opportunities when he hits them, he’ll earn more yards with less work and reduce his inefficiency on a carry-by-carry basis.

Note: My friend and colleague Jene Bramel questioned the scheme for the first Coleman run shown. He wondered if it was an ISO with the lead fullback. I considered that thought when first viewing the play but it’s clear that Sanu’s backside block is designed to work with the tight end to create a back side crease. As a result, I believe this play to be more of a zone concept than a man concept.

Nice job. I think you nailed it!

Devonta Freeman is tailor made for this scheme. Tevin may be faster, but Devonta is much quicker and more decisive. 

As far as strength goes, I think Devonta is alot stronger than Tevin. Well he runs like it any ways. 

I'm glad we have both, but no doubt the Falcons have the best guy for the job as the #1 back.

5 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

Devonta Freeman is tailor made for this scheme. Tevin may be faster, but Devonta is much quicker and more decisive. 

As far as strength goes, I think Devonta is alot stronger than Tevin. Well he runs like it any ways. 

I'm glad we have both, but no doubt the Falcons have the best guy for the job as the #1 back.

Besides all that he  is a **** of a receiver out of the backfield. That is so important in this scheme. That dude has some hands.

Not that I don't want Coleman to play well, but as I've said before he shouldn't be taking touches from Devonta. The people on here who think Coleman is better really need to see this video. Devonta's cut during the first run in the video is awesome, and on the second run he hits the hole full speed with no hesitation. Freeman is PERFECT for this offense, I don't know why some can't see it.

41 minutes ago, slider said:

Nice job. I think you nailed it!

38 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

That was awesome. Who are you?! Better analysis than anything I've seen on ESPN the last five years. 

Just for clarification guys, but I didn't write this article. I just copy and paste like I do a lot of things here. I also always provide a link at the top of the post to the original article, as I've done here.

The author is Matt Waldman, who I tagged as the author in the tags portion. If you like his work, give the link a click to help him out. (You should always do this with every article you like that gets posted here, btw).

EDIT: Sorry, I usually include the title of the article along with the author, but I didn't do that this time. I can see how that led to confusion if I was the author or not. My mistake.

Edited by RandomFan

Just now, RandomFan said:

Just for clarification guys, but I didn't write this article. I just copy and paste like I do a lot of things here. I also always provide a link at the top of the post to the original article, as I've done here.

The author is Matt Waldman, who I tagged as the author in the tags portion. If you like his work, give the link a click to help him out. (You should always do this with every article you like that gets posted here, btw).

Still thanks for the article man.

2 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

@RandomFan is the man. The kind of posts he and posters like @PeytonMannings Forehead put on here should most definitely be appreciated. I'm guilty of putting some ******** posts on here but these guys posts are almost always something I learn something from and I appreciate that. Two of my favorite posters on here.

Nah, you don't don't put garbage out there like you think man.

25 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Nah, you don't don't put garbage out there like you think man.

The garbage I put out is on purpose for the most part. I'm a goofball at heart and I embrace it. I like laughing....sue me.                     

I love me some football though so I truly appreciate the X's and O's our insight into what is actually happening type posts that guys like y'all put in. The board needs more of those types of posts and threads.

24 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

EDIT: Sorry, I usually include the title of the article along with the author, but I didn't do that this time. I can see how that led to confusion if I was the author or not. My mistake.

Was the video yours? Either way, awesome and thanks! 

6 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

The garbage I put out is on purpose for the most part. I'm a goofball at heart and I embrace it. I like laughing....sue me.                     

I love me some football though so I truly appreciate the X's and O's our insight into what is actually happening type posts that guys like y'all put in. The board needs more of those type posts.

My point exactly. As you already know, I don't take myself as serious as most think. Sometimes I just say stuff...

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

My point exactly. As you already know, I don't take myself as serious as most think. Sometimes I just say stuff...

Nah man....  I meant it like I shouldn't post half the time as in you guys have way more football acumen. I'm just the somewhat funny,when I'm lucky, representative. I'm the everyday Joe who appreciates what you guys bring to the board. I just put an Irish twist to that ****.

29 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Nah man....  I meant it like I shouldn't post half the time as in you guys have way more football acumen. I'm just the somewhat funny,when I'm lucky, representative. I'm the everyday Joe who appreciates what you guys bring to the board. I just put an Irish twist to that ****.

LOL!!! Everyone should post what they think no matter what they know.

36 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

so you're irish? ..........:ninja:

Edited by papachaz

2 hours ago, YoungHeezy said:

Nothing that I've seen from Tevin has shown me that he's stronger than Devonta. 

He doesn't even weigh much more than Devonta. I think Free is 206 and Teco is 210. I'd say, given their respective height of 5'8" and 6'0", it's a negligible weight difference.

13 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

He doesn't even weigh much more than Devonta. I think Free is 206 and Teco is 210. I'd say, given their respective height of 5'8" and 6'0", it's a negligible weight difference.

True. I actually posted about this last year when people kept saying Coleman was a much bigger back and more of a starting quality back. Last year they had both at 208 i think, don't know if those were correct or when they changed them, but either way the height is the main difference. Height doesn't mean bigger, just taller, and that's not a good thing for a RB in my opinion.  Like you said, considering their height, i would say Freeman is thicker and has lower center of gravity. Which shows in how he runs.