How Browns' Danny Shelton fared against Alex Mack

atljbo

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/08/how_browns_danny_shelton_fared.html

How Browns' Danny Shelton fared against Alex Mack

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Alex Mack's homecoming to FirstEnergy Stadium was a resounding success for the three-time Pro Bowler, and not so much for Browns nosetackle Danny Shelton.

Shelton, the Browns' first-round pick (No. 12) last year, was stonewalled by Mack. He failed to pop on the TV screen or on the stat sheet, even against Mack's backup. When his almost three quarters of play were over, he had one tackle to show for it. Mack, when on the field, not only prevented Shelton from penetrating, he drove him back several times.

Shelton, who says he shed 30 pounds this year, played with his usual high motor, but the effort didn't result in any big plays or tackles for loss. Former Browns guard Jason Pinkston tweeted "Mack did whatever he wanted to Shelton.''

I said this on another thread this morning, the Offensive line did a great job in both running and passing game. Last year the interior would constantly get pushed back off the ball into Ryans feet, Thursday night I saw the LOS actually being pushed forward at times, or at least holding its ground most of the game.

Shelton is down to a svelt 335lbs, and Mack handled him well. This is a great big gigantic deal folks.

48 minutes ago, AndySG said:

Pretty sure the Cleveland announcers were saying that Shelton had been looking good. Admittedly they also got everything else wrong, though. 

They seemed very positive about stuff I wasn't seeing. Like I heard good coverage from Justin Gilbert a few times and about how he was playing well but all I saw was him getting burned and missing tackles like crazy.

They were very knowledgeable about how good Trufant is to their credit though.

edit: Oh and they were right about Nassib too. He looked really well.

Edited by The Architect

27 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Out of the many great acquisitions over this off-season, none loom larger than getting Mack. He represents one of the missing keys to greatness for this O.

He was my number one target in FA once he came available. I even insisted we overpay for him if we have to, whatever it took to get him was good with me.

1 hour ago, AndySG said:

Pretty sure the Cleveland announcers were saying that Shelton had been looking good. Admittedly they also got everything else wrong, though. 

Yo they called Cyrus Gray "Brandon Wilds" like 4 times in a row and never corrected themselves when Wilds actually ran the ball.

4 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Yo they called Cyrus Gray "Brandon Wilds" like 4 times in a row and never corrected themselves when Wilds actually ran the ball.

The Atlanta announcers were just as bad about that, and they're supposed to know our own team.  They thought the Clayborn sack was Devondre Campbell, along with several other ones.

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

Only thing that worries me a little bit is that Mack knows Shelton well from playing against him in practice. So have may have an advantage over Shelton that he won't have over other DTs.

Yeh but that works both ways - Shelton would know Macks tenancies also. We just need to face the startling truth that Mack is a very good player. Sorry guys but you are going to have to get used to some pro bowl type play from the Centre position!!

2 minutes ago, primetime said:

Yeh but that works both ways - Shelton would know Macks tenancies also. We just need to face the startling truth that Mack is a very good player. Sorry guys but you are going to have to get used to some pro bowl type play from the Centre position!!

Oh, I'm really happy that they signed Mack- think this may very well become the best OLine Ryan has had.

1 hour ago, HMFIC said:

Yeah you could't tell who  they were with all that fake hair hanging down.  I'll be glad when that fad is over.

7 minutes ago, TheRisen999 said:

Gus Johnson is the one with the long hair and I doubt it's fake considering he's a man. I'm guessing you aren't a black guy. 

He's a clown. Ignore him