Best Backup QBs Ever?

The Vent King

I can't remember EVER feeling this positive about our backup QB situation even in pre-season. It was always "well if our starter goes down we're toast..." Plus I never thought I would feel that way when one of those QBs is named Matt Schaub after seeing him turn into manure out there in Texas. I'm wondering if this actually helps the Iceman knowing he has company now at the QB position. Again I know it's only pre-season, but c'mon I can't be the only one that sees this.

Thoughts?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earl Morrall.

Earl Edwin Morrall (May 17, 1934 – April 25, 2014) was an American football player who was a quarterback in the National Football League (NFL) for twenty-one seasons. Morrall, who also occasionally punted, played 21 seasons in the National Football League as both a starter and reserve. In the latter capacity, he became known as one of the greatest backup quarterbacks in NFL history.[1] During the 1968 Baltimore Colts season, he filled in for an injured Johnny Unitas leading to an NFL championship shutout victory and Super Bowl III, and for the 1972 Miami Dolphins season (both under coach Don Shula) he filled in for an injured Bob Griese leading to Super Bowl VII and the only perfect season in NFL history. Morrall made Pro Bowl appearances following the 1957 and 1968 seasons.

Led two separate teams to the Superbowl after the starter went down mid-season!

Correction: Unitas went down in the preseason in 1968 and Morrall went 13-1. Griese went down mid season in 1972 and Morrall went undefeated to the Superbowl. Made first team Pro Bowl in both seasons.

No Contest.

Edited by slider

2 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers were pretty good backups. Schaub is pretty average, with no upside or trade value, but he's still the best backup we've had since Schaub 1st time around  ;-)

Probably the best backup ever was Kurt Warner. Trent Green gets hurt in the preseason and Warner steps in and takes an at the time horrible franchise to a SB win.

4 hours ago, slider said:

Earl Morrall.

Earl Edwin Morrall (May 17, 1934 – April 25, 2014) was an American football player who was a quarterback in the National Football League (NFL) for twenty-one seasons. Morrall, who also occasionally punted, played 21 seasons in the National Football League as both a starter and reserve. In the latter capacity, he became known as one of the greatest backup quarterbacks in NFL history.[1] During the 1968 Baltimore Colts season, he filled in for an injured Johnny Unitas leading to an NFL championship shutout victory and Super Bowl III, and for the 1972 Miami Dolphins season (both under coach Don Shula) he filled in for an injured Bob Griese leading to Super Bowl VII and the only perfect season in NFL history. Morrall made Pro Bowl appearances following the 1957 and 1968 seasons.

Correction: Unitas went down in the preseason in 1968 and Morrall went 13-1. Griese went down mid season in 1972 and Morrall went undefeated to the Superbowl. Made first team Pro Bowl in both seasons.

No Contest.

Nice, Earl Morrell or Danny White 

13 hours ago, slider said:

Earl Morrall.

No Contest.

Love it. Just hate you got here first. Great back up QBs. Morral, Blanda, Steve Young, Rodgers, and........

if we're talking any team, any time, it's hard to argue against Earl Morrell as mentioned above. 

it's also hard NOT to at least give Frank Reich an honorable mentioned, bringing that Bills team back from a 32 point deficit was nothing less than amazing. He backed up Jim Kelly, they were one of the longest tenured 1st/2nd string QB combos

7 hours ago, AndySG said:

Yeah, guys. Pretty sure he's talking about for the Falcons...

After you posted this, my initial thought was that I'm such an idiot for mis-reading the OP, however, I've read it now several times and I'm pretty sure it doesn't say Falcons only!

Edited by slider

are we talking about guys who were career backups, which really in MY mind  should be the basis of the discussion, and not necessarily guys who were drafted to be groomed to start in a few years? Guys like Rodgers, Young, Danny White, or guys like Kubiak, Reich, Morrall, etc?

Kubiak was another solid backup who could come in for a few games and not cause any serious problems

13 minutes ago, papachaz said:

if we're talking any team, any time, it's hard to argue against Earl Morrell as mentioned above. 

it's also hard NOT to at least give Frank Reich an honorable mentioned, bringing that Bills team back from a 32 point deficit was nothing less than amazing. He backed up Jim Kelly, they were one of the longest tenured 1st/2nd string QB combos

George Blanda and Frank Reich would be my second and third choices. I know a lot of folks like to consider a QB a good backup if at some time in the future he becomes a good starter, ie, Aaron Rodgers but I think you actually have to perform on the field as a backup to be qualified for great backup. Just my opinion ofcourse. Rodgers never got on the field. Tom Brady would fit the definition I believe but not Rodgers. Now that I think about it, I'd probably slot Brady in 3rd and move Reich to 4th.

Edited by slider