Sanu discussion

I have stated repeatedly on here since we signed Sanu why he's such a good fit for our offense at #2.

He's 6'2", 210lbs and **very** strong. His core is particularly strong and you saw that power on display when he broke the tackle last night bent over and using his core and leg strength to rip away from would be tackler.  This strength makes him dangerous. He makes tough catches over the middle, gets just enough open in man coverage, gets yards after contact, is crafty at finding holes in zone coverage and most importantly breaks tackles using his strength and size. He also has a good catch radius at 6'2" with really long 33.5 inch arms and a 36' vertical.

Defenses will pay a big price of they just stick an average size CB on him without over the top help. Just the THREAT of him breaking a tackle on a 5 yard pass  and taking it to the house is going to give defensive coordinators headaches. But when they don't adequately protect against this Ryan will find him in single or zone coverage for big plays.

We saw a little glimpse of what's to come in regular season. We also saw Hardy make two very difficult clutch 3rd down catches. Hardy is going to be Mr Clutch for Ryan on 3rd downs. It's already taking hold, but Hardy is a tough SOB with outstanding hands and fearless in traffic. He's going to really help us along with Sanu and JJ out there.

The fact we have two huge receivers on both sides of the field, who can block just about anyone on the field, is a great foundation... If Sanu can get open a decent amount of time and draw attention away from Julio, that's where I hope we get to! If we can stretch the field with Robinson, put Sanu over the middle as the big bodied receiver, and keep Julio out of the easy big hits, I'll be elated...

24 minutes ago, HOYLE said:

?

What don't you get?

When Julio gets the ball he will often make a beeline for the endzone and do his best to run through defenders which is fine.

When Sanu gets it he dances his way through defenders which is also fine, and more suited to screens.

Just to give you guys an idea of Sanu's strength, Roddy White at 6' tall and 210lbs with 31.5 inch arms jacked up 18 reps on the bench press at the combine. Roddy was a collegiate wrestler and was considered very strong coming out of the draft.

Sanu is 6'2" with longer arms of 33.5 inches and jacked up 19 reps on bench press. Any of you gym rats like me know the longer your arms the harder it is on the bench press.  2 inches is a big deal in arm length so it's reasonable to conclude Sanu is actually stronger than Roddy was.

( I do expect my syllogism to be attacked, but it's sound to me :) )

23 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

What don't you get?

When Julio gets the ball he will often make a beeline for the endzone and do his best to run through defenders which is fine.

When Sanu gets it he dances his way through defenders which is also fine, and more suited to screens.

I don't think Sanu is better than Julio at anything. Let me say that I like the signing and have not changed from that one bit, but anything Sanu can do Julio can do better.

23 minutes ago, HOYLE said:

I don't think Sanu is better than Julio at anything. Let me say that I like the signing and have not changed from that one bit, but anything Sanu can do Julio can do better.

except for the fact that Jones only did 17 bench reps compared against Sanu's 19 and Jones' arm is only 1/4 of an inch longer.

Edited by MACK_AttACK

1 hour ago, Wjcorner said:

Maybe Julio isn't the punching bag for all those WR screens and option run/quick slants anymore too? 

Nope, Hardy and Sanu are both fearless in traffic and will share the load. Possibly Hooper will get some too. Last year only other capable receiver we had from Julio was Freeman.

1 hour ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

I hate to admit that I HATED the signing of him for the amount of money that we paid. But I will say now, after watching him last night that was very impressed with him. He looks like Roddy 2.0, and will fill in well as the #2 WR.

He looks better than Roddy. And I loved Roddy but he used to trip a lot and not get YAC. I hated that about Rod. He'd fall after the catch a lot of times. Sanu catches the ball, keeps his balance and runs extremely hard.