As ISIS loses ground in Syria, look to Southeast Asia as the next haven.

2 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

It's going to be hard for Hillary to find targets for her drones under a jungle canopy. She'll probably resort back to napalm and burn the whole dąmn place down. 

22 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

It's going to be hard for Hillary to find targets for her drones under a jungle canopy. She'll probably resort back to napalm and burn the whole dąmn place down. 

Let us hope she can just avoid sniper fire when she visits the war zones.  She had trouble with that before if my memory serves me correctly.

8 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

Or we could actually discuss ISIS and not turn everything into a HURRDURR HILLDAWG thread.

Yep.  I thought the danger of radicalization among the military in Malaysia was especially concerning.  That country is already an authoritarian theocracy.  If ISIS gets a foothold in the military and succeeds in a coup, you could very quickly see Malaysia become an actual Islamic State.  

Who cares?  Because Malaysia is very rapidly modernizing and Kuala Lumpur is establishing itself as a major tourist destination.  I was there for a few days back in June and was floored by how welcoming and tourist-friendly the place had become.  Everybody learns English beginning in elementary school and it was so prominent that I had to do all of the conversations with the locals (taxis, restaurants, etc) instead of my Indonesian friend because their English was better than their Malay. Indonesia and Malaysia have almost identical languages, but the people in Kuala Lumpur were more comfortable speaking in English than bahasa Malay/Indonesia.  

The country is quickly becoming ripe for a transition to democracy because of these changes and modernization.  A radicalized, ISIS controlled military faction could easily set back that progress a good 10-20 years.  

2 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

A radicalized, ISIS controlled military faction could easily set back that progress a good 10-20 years.  

That's prety much a worst case scenario. A 'government', a military, significant land bordered only by water...they could catapult into full Armageddon state pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

That's prety much a worst case scenario. A 'government', a military, significant land bordered only by water...they could catapult into full Armageddon state pretty quickly.

Exactly.  Also, people have always thought that the Middle East was the most fertile ground for this kind of movement without realizing that oil wealth creates a lot of secular interests among ruling elites there.  Most of those regimes - Egypt, Iraq, etc - used religion as a way to maintain power and wealth of those elites.  That represents something of a check against radicalized religious movements.  Mubarrak for years used the threat of radical Islam as a way to control secular democratic actors from challenging his regime.  

Plus, the Sunni-Shia split along with warring local groups is preventing any kind of unified radical Islamic movement, and likely will continue to do that.

But Malaysia and some other Southeast Asia countries don't have a lot of those natural checks.  And think about US interests in that regime...an Islamic state decides to attack the Phillipines or South Korea (Christian) and we're dragged into a major conflict in another part of the world.  Plus the concern about China and its influence in that area.  Or suppose they decide to attack Thailand or Myanmar (Buddhist) and drag the entire region into a conflict.  Or they attack Indonesia (as they have already) because of its religious tolerance and secular government and suddenly Australia is in the mix.  

There's a tendency to ignore or forget about Southeast Asia, but we're talking about a region with over 600 million people and states with extremely different cultures, demographics, and forms of government.  And unlike Europe, there's not a strong international organization holding it together.   And fighting a war in that area is much, much more difficult than fighting wars in the Middle East.  Ask Vietnam veterans about that.

1 hour ago, eatcorn said:

Or we could actually discuss ISIS and not turn everything into a HURRDURR HILLDAWG thread.

it's funny how when Bush was in office, 'certain posters' said nonstop that he was encouraging terrorism with his actions and he got all the blame but now that it is Obama and Hillary we should just overlook their actions and just focus on ISIS

double standards for the win

3 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

it's funny how when Bush was in office, 'certain posters' said nonstop that he was encouraging terrorism with his actions and he got all the blame but now that it is Obama and Hillary we should just overlook their actions and just focus on ISIS

I'm pretty sure it was the DERP DERP type posts he was referring to.  In terms of a shift to Southeast Asia, I'm not sure how the administration could do much more than it's doing now.  They have been pretty active in training those governments to fight terrorism, and at least in Indonesia they've had great success with it.  The Indonesian government just bombed the local ISIS group into oblivion.  There's not an organized ISIS operation in Indonesia now.  There are isolated radicals, but nothing like Jemaah Islamiah group that they eliminated.

47 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I'm pretty sure it was the DERP DERP type posts he was referring to.  In terms of a shift to Southeast Asia, I'm not sure how the administration could do much more than it's doing now.  They have been pretty active in training those governments to fight terrorism, and at least in Indonesia they've had great success with it.  The Indonesian government just bombed the local ISIS group into oblivion.  There's not an organized ISIS operation in Indonesia now.  There are isolated radicals, but nothing like Jemaah Islamiah group that they eliminated.

It doesn't matter who he was referring to, Dago still has a point.  It's not as though you guys don't turn other threads into Drumpt threads hyuck hyuck...

37 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

OH PULEEZ SIR, tell us more, you are so learned and we thirst for your knowledge out here in the under educated wasteland.....please expound.

No don't say that.  As we all know Trout can be a bit verbose at times, but he generally knows what his is talking about.  Sometimes though, his partisanship (on certain subjects) creeps in and I have to call him out on it.  

3 hours ago, HMFIC said:

OH PULEEZ SIR, tell us more, you are so learned and we thirst for your knowledge out here in the under educated wasteland.....please expound.

Thanks for bumping this thread, which I think deals with an important topic.  You didn't add anything to the discussion, but at least you kept the thread at the top of the front page.   So you're not completely useless.  

16 hours ago, WORilla said:

**** trout and all his learnedness. 

Arrogant prick. Amirite guise 

Dont know the poster enough to agree. I do however believe he must have some smarts. Who else would have a picture of a trout that looks like Leon Trotsky as an avatar. Most people have no clue about Russian history. I will always click on something he posts just to see what hes talking about.

2 minutes ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

Dont know the poster enough to agree. I do however believe he must have some smarts. Who else would have a picture of a trout that looks like Leon Trotsky as an avatar. Most people have no clue about Russian history. I will always click on something he posts just to see what hes talking about.

Lol that was sarcasm. A few posters are giving him **** for being a teacher. Knowledge is a sin in some minds 

On 8/19/2016 at 3:35 PM, Dago 3.0 said:

Double standards? If anything, the consistency with which various administrations have handled the 'war on terror' indicates to me that there's not much point in singling any of them out for purposes of discussion. I think you're seeing bias where there is none.