What are your realistic expectations for this year?

The reason for optimism:

Ryan and the Offense should be more comfortable in year 2.

Mack anchoring the Oline

Good group of RBs

Julio + Sanu + Hardy will be good plus Hooper in the red zone should help immensely.

Speed at LB should make our defense slightly better

The only thing that is a major concern is the pass rush. (9 years in a row now)

19 sacks last year and we are hoping that the combination of Beasley in year 2 + Shelby + Freeney will make a difference.

So in summary i think we improve from 8-8 to 10-6 maybe win one playoff game. If the pass rush develops then the sky is the limit.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect us to be streaky early on due to the defense struggling to take care of business. But as the season goes on I see two stars emerging on defense. In the end we make the playoffs with 10 or 11 wins. I really see this offense making waves across the NFL, but our defense has to be there for us to be taken seriously and I'll think they'll come together right near the end of the season.

12 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

If we win more than 6 games, we're going to the Super Bowl and probably winning it.

With this schedule and roster we're either going to be really really good, or really really bad.  This will not be a 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 team.

People keep talking about the schedule, Falcons start the year with 3 teams that were sub 500 last year, end it with 6 out of 8 games against sub 500 opponents.

Can't really say. 

Could be 6-10 if we get anything close to last year's Ryan.

9-7 if we decide keep a 55-45 run pass ratio with a Ryan minimizing the turnovers.

if we had a pass rush and Ryan minimizes the turnovers and we keep that run pass ratio 10 or 11 wins

9/11 - Bucholes... we win that game

9/18 @ Raiders - we win that game

9/26 - @ Stains MNF - we'll see how good our D is

10/2 - Panties - tough game... we'll know what we really have.

10/9 - @ Donkies - we can win this one

10/16 @ Seachunks - tough game....

10/23 Chargers at home - we win that game

10/30 - Packers.... tough game

this is the first 8 games of the season... if we go 4-4 to this point, we have a shot at a winning season with the remaining games.

Obviously every fan of every team and every team in the NFL expects to win the Superbowl this time of year. Our schedule is horrible, so its going to take a miracle to make the Playoffs this season. I just dont think this team is where it wants and needs to be this season to do that. We only addressed the Pass Rush by bringing in a 36 year old Freeney. We could have done a lot better than that.

I do think we do have a good young core of LBers, but they are young and will take time to develop. Im not impressed with our Secondary so far, and no one has any idea how the front 4 will hold up.

Its a crap-shoot. If i was a betting man, I would put $50 on the Falcons to win the SB and hopefully make $10000 on that bet.

2 hours ago, momak said:

The reason for optimism:

Ryan and the Offense should be more comfortable in year 2.

Mack anchoring the Oline

Good group of RBs

Julio + Sanu + Hardy will be good plus Hooper in the red zone should help immensely.

Speed at LB should make our defense slightly better

The only thing that is a major concern is the pass rush. (9 years in a row now)

19 sacks last year and we are hoping that the combination of Beasley in year 2 + Shelby + Freeney will make a difference.

So in summary i think we improve from 8-8 to 10-6 maybe win one playoff game. If the pass rush develops then the sky is the limit.

I'm thinking we win at least half of our games --- hopefully more. 

To duplicate last year's W/L at 8 - 8 would be a success, imo, since we have the (so-called) harder schedule this year...  

2017 is going to be our year!!!  

I think we will be around a 9-7 team or 10-6. Enough to get a playoff spot. But I also think we will struggle in some areas. 

Positives:

-I believe our run game will be improved, even over last year. OL will gel much better and our RBs are probably the deepest in the league  

-Ryan should be more comfortable in the offense especially with Sanu taking some heat away from Julio. Hopefully Hardy steps up too.

-The offensive line should also be way better due to Mack anchoring the line. 

-The defense will be improved as well. Maybe they will be a top 12 defense. With the addition of speed and very physical players, we won't be exposed as much as we were last year.

-Also, our depth is much better, and if someone goes down I will feel much better about the whole "next man up" mantra  

Negatives:

-I think the pass rush will still be an area of improvement heading into next offseason. We have a bunch of guys with potential to add to become a way better pass rush than we have seen since Abraham left. But there is still a lot of unknowns. 

-Not only that, the defense will still take some lumps while they grow and learn due to the rookies eventually taking over as starters. 

-I wonder how Matt Ryan will handle year 2 in Shannys scheme. He still seems a little "off" but hopefully he can become that 2012 Ryan. 

-Is Hooper the answer at TE? Some of the young guys like Perkins showed promise, but ever since TG left, Ryan doesn't have that safety net.

-Lastly, will Shanny and the offense finally cut the turnovers down and will the redzone offense improve?

I think these are all fair opinions and concerns going into the season. Might take another year of "lumps" to really get over the hump and get a good feel of what direction this team needs to go. 

Not gonna start in on Ryan! However the qb position is going to have to distribute the ball well with fewer turnovers. Our OL needs to open holes for these very good RB's we have. To the D; we need pass rush and much better LB play. If we've fixed those to the point of being consistent and capable I like our chances. That's a lot I know but we have players now that can make it happen. Hoping we take this "paper" game and make it real. Go Falcons!!!!