My take so far...

E. T.

We're halfway through the preseason and so far I am liking what I'm seeing. I'll keep this short and sweet and to the point....

1) Matt Ryan needs to relax and breathe.. he looks tight and understandably so. He did look better last night, but I think a full game will get his mind and body focused. He'll come around.

2) We have good depth at QB for once. I'm confident Schaub and Simms can pick up the pieces.

3) We are STACKED at running back! Any one of these young men can be a starter. This is going to be one tough decision come roster trimming time.

4) Very impressed with the oline protection and they look like they could be a nasty mean bunch once they gel.

5) Dline still going through auditions. Once Quinn figures out which pieces to plug in where, I think the pressure they can provide will be good enough for the rest of the defense to feed off from.

6) Our linebackers are nasty! We will be good in this department for seasons to come.

7) Secondary looks a little rusty, but I like how they swarm and play aggressive and that pretty much goes for the entire defense. They get after you!

All in all, I like the direction we are heading in. I see a much improved attitude and aggressiveness that I didn't see during Smitty's final few seasons. The team has gone from bland to seasoned and I credit Quinn and his philosophy.

I love being that scrappy team again!

9 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

I agree with the run game, that's about it. Team is still the same, only difference is the names on the jerseys 

Last week 

5/15 on 3rd  33%

this week 1/8 13 %

And played without Beasley rushing from SLB. It's not the same team. We would've given up more 3rd downs last season. 3rd down defense is VASTLY better. 

8 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

I agree with the run game, that's about it. Team is still the same, only difference is the names on the jerseys 

Time will tell. Once the final 53 is listed, we shall see if this team is basically the same. But right now in camp we have a ton of talent and depth that I haven't seen in a long while. Someone has been doing some work in the FO evaluating what we have on this team right now.

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Last week 

5/15 on 3rd  33%

this week 1/8 13 %

And played without Beasley rushing from SLB. It's not the same team. We would've given up more 3rd downs last season. 3rd down defense is VASTLY better. 

Man I love it when someone brings out the numbers, because they don't lie...

27 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

In relation to last year 

Run Attack ++

Pass attack =/-

Def =/+

You don't think the pass offense isn't good or improved? We moved the ball all game with Julio catching one ball. Imagine when we do target him.

I think you're optimistic on the d-line and linebackers.  The former because we still haven't really seen anything yet (I want to see Freeney and Beas on the field at the same time), but what we have seen hasn't been great (neither of them have really beasted without the other).  The latter because they're rookies and they're going to make rookie mistakes.

Having said that, I'm cautiously optimistic about both.  The question is whether the offense can button things down and hold the fort while we have some learning curve on defense, and whether we can eliminate the turnovers from last season.  If we do both, we'll be fine.

Just now, Jesus said:

You don't think the pass offense isn't good or improved? We moved the ball all game with Julio catching one ball. Imagine when we do target him.

I think it's much the same to be fair, I like hardy' development but the big thing here is Shanahan and his play calling. 

1 hour ago, E. T. said:

We're halfway through the preseason and so far I am liking what I'm seeing. I'll keep this short and sweet and to the point....

1) Matt Ryan needs to relax and breathe.. he looks tight and understandably so. He did look better last night, but I think a full game will get his mind and body focused. He'll come around.

2) We have good depth at QB for once. I'm confident Schaub and Simms can pick up the pieces.

3) We are STACKED at running back! Any one of these young men can be a starter. This is going to be one tough decision come roster trimming time.

4) Very impressed with the oline protection and they look like they could be a nasty mean bunch once they gel.

5) Dline still going through auditions. Once Quinn figures out which pieces to plug in where, I think the pressure they can provide will be good enough for the rest of the defense to feed off from.

6) Our linebackers are nasty! We will be good in this department for seasons to come.

7) Secondary looks a little rusty, but I like how they swarm and play aggressive and that pretty much goes for the entire defense. They get after you!

All in all, I like the direction we are heading in. I see a much improved attitude and aggressiveness that I didn't see during Smitty's final few seasons. The team has gone from bland to seasoned and I credit Quinn and his philosophy.

I love being that scrappy team again!

Matt is entering his 8th year...he should not look tight or uncomfortable.  But before I get pounded with "why the Matt hate" just remember it's truth not hate. 

Offense should be better. I can't say enough how impressed i am with Sanu, and i was one of his biggest detractors. I say all this with a caveat though. Shanahan has yet to let Ryan take any deep drops. Its been all quick hitches, just like the majority of last year. He is still afraid of something with that Falcon passing game.

Defense looks the same. Neal got pushed around like a rag doll and torched in the passing game. Dude looked like it was his first NFL game. Pass rush still sucks. Linebackers look all world in run defense but still can't run with nobody.  

Edited by slickgadawg

14 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

I think it's much the same to be fair, I like hardy' development but the big thing here is Shanahan and his play calling. 

It's preseason, play calling is not something to complain about. Sanu has looked great.

10 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Offense should be better. I can't say enough how impressed i am with Sanu, and i was one of his biggest detractors. I say all this with a caveat though. Shanahan has yet to let Ryan take any deep drops. Its been all quick hitches, just like the majority of last year. He is still afraid of something with that Falcon passing game.

Defense looks the same. Neal got pushed around like a rag doll and torched in the passing game. Dude looked like it was his first NFL game. Pass rush still sucks. Linebackers look all world in run defense but still can't run with nobody.  

Why do ppl keep saying shanahan isbt "letting"? Of Matt doesn't throw deep it's on him. HE makes the decisions where to put the ball. And as far as the offense goes it's looked good 2 weeks in a row. Matt will take his deep shots trust me. And id say Matt was probably taking what the defense gave him. In other words they were making sure Julio didn't beat them deep. You know we run a lot of option routes so the wr's are reading the defense as much as Matt is so a lot of times JULIO is cutting his route short by what he reads from the defense. 

As  for the defense the 3rd down numbers are better from last year and points given up are better from last year so regardless how they look to you they've been better in 2 key categories that count the most. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

Why do ppl keep saying shanahan isbt "letting"? Of Matt doesn't throw deep it's on him. HE makes the decisions where to put the ball. And as far as the offense goes it's looked good 2 weeks in a row. Matt will take his deep shots trust me. And id say Matt was probably taking what the defense gave him. In other words they were making sure Julio didn't beat them deep. You know we run a lot of option routes so the wr's are reading the defense as much as Matt is so a lot of times JULIO is cutting his route short by what he reads from the defense. 

As  for the defense the 3rd down numbers are better from last year and points given up are better from last year so regardless how they look to you they've been better in 2 key categories that count the most. 

Route running has nothing to do with the Quarterback drop. Shanny is running quick passing plays. Last year, he had zero faith in his offensive line holding up against the pass rush. Matt's interceptions made it worst.  So, yes, Shanny is either holding his cards or is running his passing attack the same as last year. Its been effective. Thats not the issue. I just pointed out that Matt hasn't taken deep drops, thats all.

I tend to agree with most of the above, even the counter points.   I think overall the team looks slightly improved.   The D-line definitely needs something, whether it's speed, or line calling, the right mix of this guy and that, whatever.   The linebackers are significantly improved.   I agree with the defensive backfield getting burned but swarm good and tackle better.   O-line looking decent for a change.   That alone will make everyone else on the offense look better.   It'll be interesting to see who makes the final roster at both RB and WR.   Schaub for some reason looks like he could once-again start somewhere, and this is FANTASTIC as a backup.   Matty; can someone not poke him in the fanny to throw down field?   Good grief.   Even the throw itself, whether caught or not, opens up the defense a little and those run plays, particularly the draws, will open up for some big hitters...   Dang.

Agree with most of this.  

I do wish Ryan would throw it downfield more more but I do lke our receivers.  Sanu is impressing me with charging into contact to get more yards as he lookeded fearless last night.  He does need to fight for those 50/50 balls more as he waits for the ball to get to him instead going for it leting the DBs slap it away.  

Pass rush still needs work but I like Clayborn and Brooks Reed as rushers.  Reed was close to 2 sacks on griffen and got held on one in which they called.  He really does look faster.

Like our young LBs as they are in the right position most of the time.  Can see the speed and Campbell was really tight with his man even when they made the catch.  Jones still needs work on tackling but didnt miss as many people seem to think.  Had a great game last week and sub average game this week.  This better than what we had next year.

Speaking of overeacting not sure where this Neal get constantly burnt on coverage came from.  He was beat on one past and he was right there with his man until he turned around to look for the ball and slowed down.  He had nothing to do with the Trufant play as he was covering the TE during that play.  He was hit and miss on run plays with position but he wasnt knocked around or avoid contact.  

Like WRs narrowing down the RBs is going to be tough.  Freeman and Colman are given but that third spot.  Ward being injured has all but got him cut so it is really down to Wilds and Gray.  Wilds actually got more time with starting and second units and looked good.  But Gray was making all the best cuts and seeing the field better.  He was facing 3rd and 4th string so its hard to tell which had more to do with it.

All in all Depth looks must better so we have to see who the Coachs start and keep.  Looking forward to next week when he actually game plan.

1 hour ago, maorifalcon said:

the Cleveland D was not much of a test in the second half, but I'm gonna lighten up on Shanny this week.  The Oline was more cohesive, even with the rookie guard, and the running game made up for the fact that Ryan is still not thriving in the confined passing game.

1 hour ago, The Great American said:

Here's something no one mentioned ... it was only Cleveland!!  (;

Running game looked great and Matt Simms was sharp.  A little concerned about our first team defense.

Sure it was only Cleveland...but last I checked Cleveland is a pro team, and they moved the ball well on us with RG3 behind center. We matched up well against them overall.

I understand your concerns, but I'm looking at our depth to build on. We haven't had this kind of depth in years, just castoffs from the Jacksonville pipeline remember.

Matt Ryan in my mind looked a lot more decisive vs. Cleveland than he did all of last year. When it comes to absorbing schemes Matt Ryan does it at a genius level in my mind. It's never a matter of if, it's when. I can't say the same for the defense but this offense is about to send shockwaves thru the NFL.