Third RB??

I don't know what the **** is going to happen. They have a tough choice. Ward was good for us too and they may factor that in even though he hasn't played. Just when I started thinking Gray was locking it down, he takes himself out of the game and Wilds comes in and scores that great TD run on the first play in. Gus Johnson looks good as a downhill runner too. Good problem to have but I'm glad I'm not making the choice. I don't think Wilds would make it to the practice squad though and if he did, I don't think he'd stay long. He looks like he can play in multiple schemes. 

1 hour ago, Capt_Falcon_21 said:

After 2 preseason games so far any predictions on the battle for the third running back spot. Do we go with Gray due to his NFL experience and stash wilds on the PS? Do we go with Wilds and let Gray loose? Or hope that Ward is healthy enough?

giphy.gif

If Coleman doesn't change from what he did last year and so far this year. He may be our 3rd. You let one of these young guys show they can take some of the load off Freeman.  Coleman has yet to show any vision, any burst, he can't get through heavy traffic without ducking his head and falling down. He doesn't have good balance. He has good top end, but that's about it.  His best runs has be with good wide open  and straight holes. He needs to be in space. More than one person gets around him and he folds like a cheap lawn chair. I know everyone wants to just make him this beast. He has shown nothing. He looks like a overrated poormans Norwood with bad vision at the moment.  Maybe he will get better, but he hasn't shown nothing to be getting all this love yet.

We better hope Freeman can stay healthy and carry the load. If Coleman doesn't start running different. 

I would go with Gray base off of last night.  There is still a ways to go in that #3 RB competition.  Wilds has looked good too.  Ward is looking like he is out of the running.  I would look to have Gray as my #3 and put Wilds on the practice squad if it was close.  They each have two more games to prove what they can do.

go back and look at the depth charts prior to 2014

The Falcons used to keep 5 WRs, 4 RBs, and 1 FB

ie 2010 Turner, Snelling, A Smith,  (Norwood/G. Johnson)  Ovie

WRs===White, Douglas, Jenkins, Finn, Weems

more recently they have kept 6 WR, 3RBs and 1 FB

the game has changed to a more passing environment

IT is a very unusual case to have more than 4 good RBs and more than 6 WRS that can contribute very well on the 53 roster

Cut downs are going to be difficult this year   I'm interesting in seeing who makes the 53 and who they keep on the 10? man PS--

I will also be watching to see if any of those cut get picked up by other teams.

Cyrus gray looked legit last night, he provided a great mixture vision, quickness, and shiftiness. I like Wilds a little more just because he's 225 apparently and has wheels. Ward will get picked up by someone else quickly

Edited by JBridgez

10 hours ago, Capt_Falcon_21 said:

After 2 preseason games so far any predictions on the battle for the third running back spot. Do we go with Gray due to his NFL experience and stash wilds on the PS? Do we go with Wilds and let Gray loose? Or hope that Ward is healthy enough?

I don't think we can go wrong either way but i like wilds because he's a little bigger

57 minutes ago, Oh4Real?! said:

Gray, just got on the team and looked extremely comfortable and hits the hole and burst wayyyyy better than Wilds. Not to mention he's fairly shifty. 

all true  But Gray is an experienced Pro  Wilds is a Rookie-- I have no preference--I'll leave it up to the staff--and wish the rest good luck

Got no concerns on Freeman and Coleman playing ability,but just durability. Both have been banged up, I know special teams are important,but got a feeling that 3rd back will see some carries throughout the regular season. When the Falcons run the ball effectively the offense clicks.  Right now leaning towards Wilds, but it isn't cut and dried.