Braves vs. Nationals

K26dp

Thursday, August 18, 7:10 PM ET

ATL: Rob Whalen, RHP

Whalen allowed six run on six hits, including two homers, across five innings vs. the Nationals on Saturday. Despite his struggles, he threw 63 of his 84 pitches for strikes and tossed first-pitch strikes to 15 of 22 hitters.

WAS: Reynaldo Lopez, RHP

Lopez earned this start after the best performance of his brief career in his last start. He tossed a career-high seven innings on one-run ball against Atlanta this past Saturday at Nationals Park.

Friday, August 19, 7:35 PM ET

ATL: TBA (likely RHP Julio Teheran)

WAS: Tanner Roark, RHP

Roark continued to enjoy success against the Braves in his last outing. He gave up one run in seven innings his last time out to lower his ERA to 1.77 in nine career starts against Atlanta.

Saturday, August 20, 7:10 PM ET 

ATL: Tyrell Jenkins, RHP

Jenkins allowed seven earned runs against the Nationals on Sunday after giving up two total in his previous three starts. The right-hander is 1-1 with a 3.10 ERA at home, while going 1-2 with a 6.31 ERA away from Turner Field.

WAS: Max Scherzer, RHP

Scherzer is coming off his shortest outing of the season last time out, when he left the game after four innings against the Rockies. But he has still pitched at least seven innings more than any other pitcher in the Majors this season.

Sunday, August 21, 1:35 PM ET 

ATL: Joel De La Cruz, RHP

De La Cruz allowed one run vs. the Twins on Tuesday, but the right-hander was once again denied his first Major League win. He’s surrendered one run or fewer in three of his four starts since rejoining the rotation on July 31.

WAS: Gio Gonzalez, LHP

A two-hour rain delay cut Gonzalez's last start short to just three innings. He enters this outing in Atlanta searching for the 100th victory of his career.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

Man, I'd just go ahead and put the kid in the 2-hole. That's where he's going to hit as an established regular anyway, so why not? Pressure be ****ed. Don't think it's going to affect him.

Exactly what I was saying last night. Put him in the 2 hole and leave him there for the next 15 years. He's the perfect #2 hitter. Line drive hitter who sprays it all over the field. He's a good FB hitter too and will get plenty of those in that spot because of Ender's speed and Freeman's threat behind him.

Just now, K26dp said:

Power in the #1 spot is to be encouraged, not discouraged.

I don't disagree with that and if Markakis could run then that would be fine. But Markakis is one of the Braves slowest players. I like Ender's speed at the top of the lineup. I don't know why you would take Ender out of the leadoff spot with him hitting like he is right now. Why move Markakis with him hitting like he is right now? Just doesn't make any sense to me. All Snitker had to do was plug Swanson into the lineup in that 2 hole where Aybar was hitting. I know he thinks he's doing the kid a favor by putting him in the 8 hole but any player that has ever played will tell you that hitting in front of the pitcher is one of the toughest things to do because you very rarely get anything good to hit.

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

With Markakis hitting for power right now I like him in the 5 hole. Keep Ender at leadoff. Drop Garcia down to 6 and let's go!!

That is EXACTLY how I would set the lineup. Plus you'd have alternating lefty-righty all the way down, creating a late inning nightmare for opposing managers

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't disagree with that and if Markakis could run then that would be fine. But Markakis is one of the Braves slowest players. I like Ender's speed at the top of the lineup. I don't know why you would take Ender out of the leadoff spot with him hitting like he is right now. Why move Markakis with him hitting like he is right now? Just doesn't make any sense to me. All Snitker had to do was plug Swanson into the lineup in that 2 hole where Aybar was hitting. I know he thinks he's doing the kid a favor by putting him in the 8 hole but any player that has ever played will tell you that hitting in front of the pitcher is one of the toughest things to do because you very rarely get anything good to hit.

Agree 100% with all you say here! Preach!