Turn up the Heat?

Forgive me if already posted. Sportsnaut has completed their (mediocre if I say so myself) coverage of our team. Discussion points are Sanu/Mack and RB by committee/ Beasley and the D. This is honestly one of those let's state the obvious articles but it is another read for us fans. 

I personally think they have overlooked the developing talent outside Jarrett who they seem high on. Failing to mention the likes of Justin Hardy and the Robinson rise. Overall, like many other posters here believe our O can be very deadly. Looking at last years games, minus the untimely turnovers by Free/Coleman and tipped passes by our own WRs and the D failing to tackle a running QB this was a 10-6/11-5 team at best. 

We as an organization seem to have corrected most those deficiencies, even though we have yet to see our pass rush in full effect. The addition of DJ and Campbell show a very bullish trend that the likes of Newton and Winston won't channel the spirit of Earl Campbell and run over our defenders. The solidification of our OLine look to allow our QB and receivers to get more time to develop routes and create separation. Also, balls will not be snapped into the ground anymore. I am almost certain with the addition of Freeney and consistency of our defensive scheme we will be in the 25-30 sack margin. 

I've said it once and I'll say it again we will be a 11-5 team this year despite our tough schedule. The link is below. What say you?

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/08/atlanta-falcons-2016-preview/

While I am optimistic that things are looking up, we have to understand that none of the problems have been corrected from last year until they are, on the field when it counts. The rookies have done nothing yet and are not guaranteed to ever step on the field outside of the preseason. Every year we get excited and talk about the rookies and they rarely (Freeman being an exception) make a huge impact. You only have to look to Beasley last season as an example of that. Every team in this league has an exciting batch of rookies that fans believe will transform the team yet year after year most teams hopes are dashed.  This team has the most difficult schedule in the league and improvement is guaranteed to no one. It would be very easy for this team to play way better than last year yet finish with a losing record or even at the 4-12 to 6-10 that the pundits seem to forecast. Before we get all out of sorts because some national pundit isn't giving the Falcons credit for winning 2 or 3 more games because of having a linebacker that made some good tackles in a preseason game or a great safety who has yet to do anything but practice, we should wait and see how it goes. Until then we have to wear the moniker of mediocre team that was last proven on the field. As Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are."

32 minutes ago, slider said:

While I am optimistic that things are looking up, we have to understand that none of the problems have been corrected from last year until they are, on the field when it counts. The rookies have done nothing yet and are not guaranteed to ever step on the field outside of the preseason. Every year we get excited and talk about the rookies and they rarely (Freeman being an exception) make a huge impact. You only have to look to Beasley last season as an example of that. Every team in this league has an exciting batch of rookies that fans believe will transform the team yet year after year most teams hopes are dashed.  This team has the most difficult schedule in the league and improvement is guaranteed to no one. It would be very easy for this team to play way better than last year yet finish with a losing record or even at the 4-12 to 6-10 that the pundits seem to forecast. Before we get all out of sorts because some national pundit isn't giving the Falcons credit for winning 2 or 3 more games because of having a linebacker that made some good tackles in a preseason game or a great safety who has yet to do anything but practice, we should wait and see how it goes. Until then we have to wear the moniker of mediocre team that was last proven on the field. As Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are."

Freeman, Ricardo Allen, Jake Matthews (even his injury plagued rookie season was better than turnstyle Baker), Trufant, Julio, Alford and our UDFA RT Shraeder arugue your point in regards to rookies making a big impact. All these guys have since they consistently got a chance to be on the field. I counted Freeman, Allen and Shraeder because they finally got a shot to get on the field when it counts and performed better than expected. Our record says we are 8-8 not 4-12 or 6-10.

1 minute ago, BleedBlack&Red said:

Freeman, Ricardo Allen, Jake Matthews (even his injury plagued rookie season was better than turnstyle Baker), Trufant, Julio, Alford and our UDFA RT Shraeder arugue your point in regards to rookies making a big impact. All these guys have since they consistently got a chance to be on the field. I counted Freeman, Allen and Shraeder because they finally got a shot to get on the field when it counts and performed better than expected. Our record says we are 8-8 not 4-12 or 6-10.

Point is that this team has proven nothing yet. I love what a lot of those guys did last year but it was an average season with a weak schedule. This year they have to be much better against the toughest schedule in the league. You can't really blame national media for not crowning the Falcons because of some draft picks that look good in practice.

As far as the previous rookies are concerned, I loved what Jake Mathews did over what Baker was doing but by all measurements and many if not most on these boards, he had a bad rookie year. I, like you,  disagree with that but we appear to be in the minority. Alford was a PI machine in his rookie year and Ricardo Allen rarely saw the field. Last year was his second year. Even Julio was average in his rookie year which is way better than most WR's are in year one. Schraeder rarely saw the field in his rookie year either, he may have even done time on the practice squad I don't remember but up until last year he was considered an average at best tackle. Last year was a standout, hopefully, coming of age year for him. I believe this year will be his 4th or 5th season. 

You can also add veteran free agents to that list. How many vet free agents ever achieve the impact that we tend to assign to them in the off season?

Not from Missouri but Show Me! Until then it's all speculation.

4 hours ago, BleedBlack&Red said:

Forgive me if already posted. Sportsnaut has completed their (mediocre if I say so myself) coverage of our team. Discussion points are Sanu/Mack and RB by committee/ Beasley and the D. This is honestly one of those let's state the obvious articles but it is another read for us fans. 

I personally think they have overlooked the developing talent outside Jarrett who they seem high on. Failing to mention the likes of Justin Hardy and the Robinson rise. Overall, like many other posters here believe our O can be very deadly. Looking at last years games, minus the untimely turnovers by Free/Coleman and tipped passes by our own WRs and the D failing to tackle a running QB this was a 10-6/11-5 team at best. 

We as an organization seem to have corrected most those deficiencies, even though we have yet to see our pass rush in full effect. The addition of DJ and Campbell show a very bullish trend that the likes of Newton and Winston won't channel the spirit of Earl Campbell and run over our defenders. The solidification of our OLine look to allow our QB and receivers to get more time to develop routes and create separation. Also, balls will not be snapped into the ground anymore. I am almost certain with the addition of Freeney and consistency of our defensive scheme we will be in the 25-30 sack margin. 

I've said it once and I'll say it again we will be a 11-5 team this year despite our tough schedule. The link is below. What say you?

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/08/atlanta-falcons-2016-preview/

Nice post.

I think our D is now becoming the strength of this team, with alot of young talent....once we get past their inexperience gaps, the D will be something to reckon with toward the end of the year......

To me, our offense is the biggest question mark, and it all goes back to our QB's understanding of the system, because he is still having to unlearn (including muscle memory techniques ) so much from his previous NFL experience........too soon to tell, but MR still may be a half-season away before he is comfortable in this system.....so passing offense may struggle some, hopefully running game and better D takes up the slack.....

I think we're still a year away.......still need to be patient with 

Edited by Vandy

20 minutes ago, Vandy said:

To me, our offense is the biggest question mark, and it all goes back to our QB's understanding of the system, because he is still having to unlearn (including muscle memory techniques ) so much from his previous NFL experience........too soon to tell, but MR still may be a half-season away before he is comfortable in this system.....so passing offense may struggle some, hopefully running game and better D takes up the slack.....

So Matt threw for over 4,600 yards in his 1st year in the offense with inferior talent and less time in the system.  He was 5-0 to start last season but by your logic he should be worse or the same at the start of this year?  Please explain this logic to me

48 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

So Matt threw for over 4,600 yards in his 1st year in the offense with inferior talent and less time in the system.  He was 5-0 to start last season but by your logic he should be worse or the same at the start of this year?  Please explain this logic to me

Because throwing for a bunch of yards does not mean he was good and comfortable in this system nor really it does not mean much of anything other than he was throwing a bunch of passes.....see Vinny Testaverde (and I'm not saying Matt is vinny) ......, Our offense only averaged 21 PPG.........as explain ad nauseam all offseason here, he threw for a bunch of costly interceptions ....plus we played one of the easier schedules in recent memory and only came out of it 8-8, mainly because matt did not play up to his capabilities......on paper at least, this year's schedule is harder......and like I said earlier, matt may still need another half season or so to find his rhythm in shanny's system.....

Need more? 

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Because throwing for a bunch of yards does not mean he was good and comfortable in this system nor really it does not mean much of anything other than he was throwing a bunch of passes.....see Vinny Testaverde (and I'm not saying Matt is vinny) ......, Our offense only averaged 21 PPG.........as explain ad nauseam all offseason here, he threw for a bunch of costly interceptions ....plus we played one of the easier schedules in recent memory and only came out of it 8-8, mainly because matt did not play up to his capabilities......on paper at least, this year's schedule is harder......and like I said earlier, matt may still need another half season or so to find his rhythm in shanny's system.....

Need more? 

Actually you did not clarify why you felt that the beginning of this season would be an extention of the middle of last season...do you feel like matt only does well against poor defenses?

Edited by peoriabird

1 minute ago, peoriabird said:

Actually you did clarify why you felt that the beginning of this season would be an extention of the middle of last season...do you feel like matt only does well against poor defenses?

No, not at all, not sure where you are getting that is how I feel. I think Matt had an overall  bad year (for him) last season. He played poorly against both good and bad (skins, Colts) defenses......he had his good games too, but he was definitely not his usual consistently good self.

But I think he will get there......just not sure yet he will be there at beginning of year. 

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

No, not at all, not sure where you are getting that is how I feel. I think Matt had an overall  bad year (for him) last season. He played poorly against both good and bad (skins, Colts) defenses......he had his good games too, but he was definitely not his usual consistently good self.

But I think he will get there......just not sure yet he will be there at beginning of year. 

Matt has always performed his best at the beginning of seasons.  Why would this up coming season be any different?

Edited by peoriabird

5 hours ago, slider said:

I'm okay with that. This team has always performed much better under the radar and facing zero expectations by fans or the media. And I'm also okay with that because this team has made huge strides for now and the future with the last two drafts and FA pick-ups.

I would be feeling pretty good if we'd only been able to really solve one of our big problems, but instead we've taken care of several. We now have a pass rush that will get 30 to 40 sacks this year. We have an OL that will enable the passing and running game to ramp up at least 20 to 30% higher in production over last year.

We didn't just get a LB to help things out, we added a trainload of talent, speed, physicality and size to our LB corps. The Falcons won't be helpless patsies on those over-the-middle passes to the TE any more.

Anybody here think we have any problems at CB? Wide receiver? I'm feeling good about both those areas.

We appear to have an excellent coaching staff, one that emphasizes finding the right niche to match a player to the scheme, that emphasizes development and competition. Our HC has a SB ring as a DC, and he's building our D in the same fast, physical, attacking style.

That's a whole helluva lot to like and feel really good about considering we were 8-8 last year when NONE of that was the case except for the coaches who were in their first year together.

This is going to be a whole new day for the Falcons, beginning this season and leading to a SB win in a couple years.

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

Nice post.

I think our D is now becoming the strength of this team, with alot of young talent....once we get past their inexperience gaps, the D will be something to reckon with toward the end of the year......

This is pretty much spot on. I agree... Matt needs time to develop and learn this offense and there's no way around it. Everyone must understand this! The days of Matt playing on novice are over! This is a more complex system than what he's been accustomed to.

I am supporting Matt to learn it and get it done. There will be bumps and I will critique him as well. It's Football, the greatest sport in the world!

37 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I'm okay with that. This team has always performed much better under the radar and facing zero expectations by fans or the media. And I'm also okay with that because this team has made huge strides for now and the future with the last two drafts and FA pick-ups.

I would be feeling pretty good if we'd only been able to really solve one of our big problems, but instead we've taken care of several. We now have a pass rush that will get 30 to 40 sacks this year. We have an OL that will enable the passing and running game to ramp up at least 20 to 30% higher in production over last year.

We didn't just get a LB to help things out, we added a trainload of talent, speed, physicality and size to our LB corps. The Falcons won't be helpless patsies on those over-the-middle passes to the TE any more.

Anybody here think we have any problems at CB? Wide receiver? I'm feeling good about both those areas.

We appear to have an excellent coaching staff, one that emphasizes finding the right niche to match a player to the scheme, that emphasizes development and competition. Our HC has a SB ring as a DC, and he's building our D in the same fast, physical, attacking style.

That's a whole helluva lot to like and feel really good about considering we were 8-8 last year when NONE of that was the case except for the coaches who were in their first year together.

This is going to be a whole new day for the Falcons, beginning this season and leading to a SB win in a couple years.

Come on Poker...Stop being so positive.  Of course all of what you said is true but you know that Matt Ryan is going to screw it up.  He is too slow to learn the offense and will have another bad year like last year because we all know that his previous body of work doesn't count.  Only last year counts!  And of course Matt is past his prime because quarterbacks don't win superbowls after the age of 30.  He makes too much money so we can't possibly sign good players around him and we certainly can't count on rookies to contribute.  That 1st preseason game was proof enough that Matt Ryan doesn't have what it takes and that good play from our defensive players were against 2nd and 3rd stringers.   Matt Schaub on the other hand knows the offense!  We are going to count his performance against 2nd and 3rd stringers because we dislike Matt Ryan so much now.  I see us winning 4-5 games max next year because of our schedule and probably not make the playoffs until TD is fired and Mike Smith is rehired!  LOL!

Edited by peoriabird

4 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

Come on Poker...Stop being so positive.  Of course all of what you said is true but you know that Matt Ryan is going to screw it up.  He is too slow to learn the offense and will have another bad year like last year because we all know that his previous body of work doesn't count.  Only last year counts!  And of course Matt is past his prime because quarterbacks don't win superbowls after the age of 30.  He makes too much money so we can't possibly sign good players around him and we certainly can't count on rookies to contribute.  That 1st preseason game was proof enough that Matt Ryan doesn't have what it takes and that good play from our defensive players were against 2nd and 3rd stringers.   Matt Schaub on the other hand knows the offense!  We are going to count his performance against 2nd and 3rd stringers because we dislike Matt Ryan so much now.  I see us winning 4-5 games max next year because of our schedule and probably not make the playoffs until TD is fired and Mike Smith is rehired!  LOL!

LOL! Purp, /casm, etc. well played, brah.

18 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I agree with what you said here and I would second it....as a fan! I don't however expect media/non-fans to notice or expect the same things as fans do. When it's proven on the field, they'll get their due. I believe this team is on the verge of a long run similar to the Braves teams of the 90's. If that's the case, the days of being overlooked will end and new fans will come out of the woodwork all over the country. I watched it occur with the steelers in the 70's when they were the perennial doormats of the league and by the end of the 70's they became the perennial fan favorite that lasts even to this day. If you win, they will come! I was just commenting on the frustration that some fans feel over the national media snubs the team gets. I'm sure the fans in Detroit and Jacksonville and Cleveland and many others feel the same way.

21 hours ago, Vandy said:

Really hopeful that Matt has t h e best Oline he's had in years, maybe ever and that makes a huge difference in his play.

Would like to point out that the Falcons play 9 games against teams that were sub 500 last year. The main reason they have the strongest SOS is because of the Panthers, rest of the schedule is .500- league average.

And one of the above 500 teams is KC, who shouldn't frighten anyone.

Would also like to remind folks that last year, at this time, people were worried about playing t he tough NFCE, until they actually played them.

There's a nasty 5 game stretch in there, it's bookended by 3 straight game against sub 500 teams from last year and a stretch against 6 of 8 sub 500 teams to end the year.

3 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Really hopeful that Matt has t h e best Oline he's had in years, maybe ever and that makes a huge difference in his play.

Would like to point out that the Falcons play 9 games against teams that were sub 500 last year. The main reason they have the strongest SOS is because of the Panthers, rest of the schedule is .500- league average.

And one of the above 500 teams is KC, who shouldn't frighten anyone.

Would also like to remind folks that last year, at this time, people were worried about playing t he tough NFCE, until they actually played them.

There's a nasty 5 game stretch in there, it's bookended by 3 straight game against sub 500 teams from last year and a stretch against 6 of 8 sub 500 teams to end the year.

I hear you falconidae......We both know Mack is going to make a huge difference in OL.....and I think keeping freeman fresh with Coleman spelling him (or vice-versa) will be critical in Matt's play....plus hopefully Hooper gives him that TE safety valve he needs......

As you said, You never know about the schedule until the season plays itself out....but wouldn't surprise me to see NFCS become strongest division in football with 3 (Tampa, not Aints) teams in playoff hunt.......