What Really Concerns Me About our Pass Rush

MagnusXXIII

Non-holding calls for "under-the-radar" Falcons.

Beasley was getting tackled all night. On this particular play, Beasley finally gets the call (he is asking for the flag to be thrown).

But there really could have been three flags on this play where Spoon and Worrilow are getting shamelessly mugged.

I hope Rich McKay and his very large salary can hold the refs accountable. It is through holding/non-holding calls that Refs can really influence the outcome of games.

holdings.jpg

1 minute ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

I thought that only applied to the outside of the jersey.  Looks almost like a horse collar.

They teach to stay inside the shoulder pads. If you grab inside they won't call it. Horse collar is pulling from the back or side. This is direct contact with both players in front and the linemans hands inside the shoulder pads. If Worrilow was running away from him and he grabs or pills on him then yes it's a flag. They are engaged with his hands inside. That's not a hold. 

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

Every offensive lineman holds on every single play. Refs only call it when there is a obvious tackle by the offensive lineman or they get buzzed by the league office to throw a flag...

They call it when the jersey is pulled or they grab from the outside. That's why they teach to grab inside the shoulder pads. 

5 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Every offensive lineman holds on every single play. Refs only call it when there is a obvious tackle by the offensive lineman or they get buzzed by the league office to throw a flag...

or they're playing the falcons i watched for years john Abraham being choked out from behind and nothing called

a lot of holding calls are based on reputation as well.  Until the Falcons consistently mount a better pass rush, they are not going to get calls.  I realize the "chicken/egg" scenario I am promoting here - but it's true.  We need Beasley to break out this year and Greene   Freeney to do his thing - that happens and the calls will start coming our way more.

52 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

They call it when the jersey is pulled or they grab from the outside. That's why they teach to grab inside the shoulder pads. 

The key word is GRAB. Whether its grabbing from the outside or inside, a grab is a grab. That was illegal before the Nfl decided they wanted to get greedy and open up offenses by allowing offensive linemen to extend their arms when blocking.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

a lot of holding calls are based on reputation as well.  Until the Falcons consistently mount a better pass rush, they are not going to get calls.  I realize the "chicken/egg" scenario I am promoting here - but it's true.  We need Beasley to break out this year and Greene to do his thing - that happens and the calls will start coming our way more.

how the **** are we goin to get a better pass rush if we cant get to the qb because their holding our guys 

3 minutes ago, Jahi Sun said:

how the **** are we goin to get a better pass rush if we cant get to the qb because their holding our guys 

seen the movie Field of Dreams? - "build it and they will come"

When we start getting consistent pressure with Beasley/Freeney - we will start getting more calls.   Also, my understanding is these refs get graded after every game - you get 2-3 games where refs are missing calls then it is up to Quinn & Co. to raise h3LL about it both in-game and during week after game.

Right now, Falcons have a horrible reputation in NFL circles for being a bad passrush team so refs probably sleep a little bit on those holding calls - maybe or maybe not - just a theory - take it FWIW.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

a lot of holding calls are based on reputation as well.  Until the Falcons consistently mount a better pass rush, they are not going to get calls.  I realize the "chicken/egg" scenario I am promoting here - but it's true.  We need Beasley to break out this year and Greene to do his thing - that happens and the calls will start coming our way more.

Completely agree. "Oh, [pro bowler] didn't get there. I wonder why. Looks like a hold." 

Worrilow doesn't get there and it's nothing unusual. 

I think most of us here are aware of what holding is.  It's also painfully obvious that last year, and the first preseason game of this year, that Beasley has not gotten obvious holding calls.

I do agree with the fact that we need to prove ourselves as a legit pass rush team and that will help.  But there is no excuse for not calling some of the ridiculous chit these tackles are throwing on the beaz... 

I think the problem is that Beasley runs into holding. He doesn't use his hands and arms to keep the tackle from grabbing him and he has no spin move whatsoever. In order to execute a good spin move you have to challenge the tackle outside enough to cause an overshoot. Beasley fails to do this and thus he just pirouettes into the the waiting arms of the tackle who then grabs him with his hands of steel and it's all over. Lets face it, although Beasley may prove to eventually be great, right now he is all speed no action. A guy like Freeney may be able to help him out some but as of yet Beasley has shown little. I think this defense will be much better as far as pressure and sacks but it will be a team effort, It doesn't have to be from Beasley. You have Clayborn, Shelby, Hageman, Jarrett, Jones, Campbell, Freeney, they'll all get their shots. Who cares who sacks the QB? Just get it done!

Edited by slider

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

seen the movie Field of Dreams? - "build it and they will come"

When we start getting consistent pressure with Beasley/Freeney - we will start getting more calls.   Also, my understanding is these refs get graded after every game - you get 2-3 games where refs are missing calls then it is up to Quinn & Co. to raise h3LL about it both in-game and during week after game.

Right now, Falcons have a horrible reputation in NFL circles for being a bad passrush team so refs probably sleep a little bit on those holding calls - maybe or maybe not - just a theory - take it FWIW.

Exactly. It's not like there's some NFL conspiracy against Beasley.....he will get the calls once he gets noticed as someone relevant, and he'll get relevant this year when he starts putting pressure on QBs......

11 hours ago, g-dawg said:

a lot of holding calls are based on reputation as well.  Until the Falcons consistently mount a better pass rush, they are not going to get calls.  I realize the "chicken/egg" scenario I am promoting here - but it's true.  We need Beasley to break out this year and Greene   Freeney to do his thing - that happens and the calls will start coming our way more.

we had Coleman and Abraham right? We were knocking quarterbacks out nearly every game back then.