Falcons' Dwight Freeney expected to play a quarter against the Browns

FentayeJones

Falcons' Dwight Freeney expected to play a quarter against the Browns

Vaughn McClure

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Coach Dan Quinn said veteran pass-rusher Dwight Freeney will likely play the equivalent of a quarter in his Atlanta Falcons' debut Thursday night at the Cleveland Browns.

Freeney was in street clothes when the Falcons opened the preseason with a 23-17 win over the Washington Redskins last Thursday. The 36-year-old, seven-time Pro Bowler practiced with the team for the first time Aug. 7.

"It's not going to be a lot, but it will be enough to get where I feel comfortable with him in the groove, him playing, him feeling good in the technique," Quinn said of Freeney's snaps. "Once he starts to feel that way, that's when I'll pull him. But I'd say it's probably somewhere in a quarter. It's his first game, so it won't be a lot. But it will be enough to get going."

Freeney will be featured at right defensive end in the nickel package.

"I'm excited to get back out there," Freeney said. "I don't know exactly what the plan is, how many reps. I'm assuming I'll play a little bit. ... It'll be good to get that rust off a little bit."

Quinn ruled out three players for Thursday night: kicker Matt Bryant (muscle tightness), running back Terron Ward (ankle), and strong safety Kemal Ishmael (shoulder). Undrafted rookie Nick Rose will handle the kicking duties with Bryant out.

Rookie first-round draft pick Keanu Neal, who missed the first preseason game with a "trunk" injury, also will make his Falcons' debut Thursday night. Quinn was asked what he hopes to see from Neal.

"Really, the physicality," Quinn said. "That's the part of his game that really comes to life. He's done a very good job of picking up the system. And now I want to see that communication take place on the field where he and Rico (Ricardo Allen) back there at the safeties, they can direct it."

Quinn wouldn't reveal if rookie inside linebackers Deion Jones and De'Vondre Campbell would start Thursday despite getting extensive looks with the first team during practice. Paul Worrilow and Sean Weatherspoon are still listed as the starting inside linebackers on the team's "unofficial" preseason depth chart.

"They're going to be in the mix a lot," Quinn said of Jones and Campbell. "Kind of every other series we'll get those two going. But sure, in the first half, they're going to get a good bit of reps."

Tight end Levine Toilolo (hand) and cornerback C.J. Goodwin (undisclosed) should be good to go coming off injuries.

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/21833/falcons-dwight-freeney-expected-to-play-a-quarter-against-the-browns

So Freeney was brought here from all that has been said to "Rush the Quarterback"..... 

Does this mean that we can expect 1 Quarter of Freeney and the whole D-line rushing the QB? 

Reason I say that is rushing the QB is a situational thing. Having a hired gun to rush the QB in Freeney might tip your hand in certain situations perhaps where the Falcons are concerned considering their recent years history of rushing the passer. Not complaining, I'm glad Freeney is here.

Just asking a few questions which I am sure some of you may be asking also, but the only way to find out is to watch and see I guess. 

I am thinking back a few years "Kinda comparing mentoring" to when Roddy White wasn't doing nothing at WR, his work ethic to start with just wasn't there at all at the start, then Joe Horn come along and mentored him and he excelled. I'm wondering if this might not end up being a similar situation with V. Beasley on defense and D. Freeney. Don't get me wrong, I know Freeney can still bring it, but the teaching aspect of him on the team may be priceless. A Win Win situation for the Falcons and really at a great contract price where the NFL goes. Just my opinion on all of that stuff. 

I guess I am looking at this the entirely wrong way. For Example : "When Julio Jones is in there on offense for the Falcons at WR since he is Elite, the entire defense changes it's focus". So I am assuming when Freeney is in there on Defense because he is an Elite pass rusher that the entire other teams offense will change it's focus". Or that is NOT NECESSARILY meaning a pass rush or causing teams to be respectful for things they normally wouldn't rather than the team tipping their hand on their defense or play calls. 

LOL!!! Oh well, just some of my random thoughts. Freeney was the best addition if he stays healthy the Falcons made this offseason in my opinion.

Go Falcons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by GeorgiaFalconFan

20 minutes ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

I get really angry when peoiple edit my posts for the purpose of comedy to belittle me. Its cheap, and stupid, and never clever or intelligent. Doing that is an insult. And it may come back to you one day. Be very careful with how you play the interweb

Come on over........ We'll chat.........