PFF and Bucky Brooks on Deion Jones

atljbo

Top graded rookies in week 1 of the preseason OT - Ronnie Stanley, BAL OG - Joe Thuney, NE C - Evan Boehm, AZ ILB - Deion Jones, ATL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000685673/article/week-1-preseason-grades-dak-prescott-leads-nfc-rookies?campaign=Twitter_atn

ATLANTA FALCONS: Deion Jones, linebacker. Coach Dan Quinn added Jones, a second-round pick, to inject some speed and athleticism to the Falcons' defense. The rookie flashed big-time speed and quickness flowing from sideline to sideline, finishing Thursday's game against the Redskins with five tackles and a pass breakup. Most impressively, Jones looks like a tone-setter in the middle of the retooled defense. GRADE: B

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Campbell would have been up there had he not allowed a couple big runs from failure to hold his gap assignment.  He otherwise made some great plays.

I didn't see Jones make any mistakes and saw him make some great plays so I understand how he made it and Campbell didn't.

Both these guys are going to make mistakes, it's part of the learning process.

Just now, atljbo said:

i dont think PFF is  the end all be all... Just thought this is a good start after they names him as one of the worst 2nd day picks.... Good start Deion

I'm just making fun of TATF. I actually agree that Deion played extremely well. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

So glad we got Jones. He will be great for us for a long time. Has everything you want in a LB. 

Glad to see Thuney and Boehm are doing good. I was super high on them come draft time but oh well, I love our picks. Also, PFF neglected to mention Dak Prescott, that dude is legit. Has the legs and is able to stand in the pocket, only had 2 incompletions and that's only because the WRs dropped the ball. Is he gonna be like Tom Brady to Drew Bledsoe and unseat Romo? If I'm the Cowboys, I'm thinking yea. 

What impressed me the most was how he looked as a MLB. There are some "experts" out there still beating the drum that he should be on the outside but he definitely looked the part in the middle. He is bigger than I thought and his short area quickness between the tackles as well as in space is something I haven't seen in a falcons uniform in ages. Demorrio Williams was the fastest linebacker Ive seen play for us (I started watching ball in 2002). Spencer Adkins was another speedster but I cant remember him on the field other than special teams.  

Jones easily has those two beat at the moment as far as playing speed. It was exciting to watch I will say that. Great job to the staff for having the vision to put this guy in the middle an Campbell outside in space to cover. The future is now for our efense

Edited by LightningDawg58

Just now, LightningDawg58 said:

What impressed me the most was how he looked as a MLB. There are some "experts" out there still beating the drum that he should be on the outside but he definitely looked the part in middle. He is bigger than I thought and his short area quickness between the tackles as well as in space is something I haven't seen in a falcons uniform in ages. Demorrio Williamswas the fastest linebacker Ive seen play for us (I started watching ball in 2002). Spencer Adkins was another speedster but I cant remember him on the field other than special teams.  

Jones easily has those two beat at the moment as far as playing speed. It was exciting to watch I will say that. Great job to the staff for having the vision to put this guy in the middle an Campbell outside in space to cover. The future is now for our efense

Definitely inside, my thing was putting him in while we have a healthy Spoon.

24 minutes ago, WisFalcon said:

I'm just ready for Thursday and week two. It must be football season if I immediately start saying "is it Thursday (in this case) yet?" A day after the game 

i want to see a similar performance from D. Jones. I'm excited for this defense

Ditto. Need to see that kind of performance again.

I'm extremely happy he had such a good day, especially because his tackling form seemed so much better - I saw he could tackle in college, and a lot of his issues seemed scheme related, but I figured his tackling would be his biggest issue in the pros. Didn't look that way Thursday.

But it has to be a consistent thing. I believe he can do it. Just have to prove it.

56 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

It's just a shame to me how undervalued the 4-3 middle linebacker position has become. I think Jones has a great opportunity to come in here and show that the success of your defense begins with the guy in the middle of the field. We've lacked that solid presence since Brooking's prime.

Amen

1 hour ago, LightningDawg58 said:

What impressed me the most was how he looked as a MLB. There are some "experts" out there still beating the drum that he should be on the outside but he definitely looked the part in the middle. He is bigger than I thought and his short area quickness between the tackles as well as in space is something I haven't seen in a falcons uniform in ages. Demorrio Williams was the fastest linebacker Ive seen play for us (I started watching ball in 2002). Spencer Adkins was another speedster but I cant remember him on the field other than special teams.  

I had forgotten about williams...yes, he had great burst to the ball....another guy this defense missed over the years is michael boley

51 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I didn't notice how much Jones actually did. I am looking forward to seeing more out of him.

Oh yea bro. I told you. I watched the game 4 times. Once as a whole. The second time watching the dline. The 3rd time watching Campbell, and the last time watching Jones. He was impressive. 

Just now, TheFatboi said:

Oh yea bro. I told you. I watched the game 4 times. Once as a whole. The second time watching the dline. The 3rd time watching Campbell, and the last time watching Jones. He was impressive. 

I spent too much time looking at the DL. I looked at them again and saw some new things. Thing I didn't notice was Jones. I knew I missed something. It was worth looking at.

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

I spent too much time looking at the DL. I looked at them again and saw some new things. Thing I didn't notice was Jones. I knew I missed something. It was worth looking at.

Yea bro. He was flying. That's why I wouldn't mind if he started. I also wouldn't mind if spoon started at MLB either. Just not Worrilow. A day late and a dollar short. Funny thing is he played well too. Just still a fraction behind the play. 

7 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Yea bro. He was flying. That's why I wouldn't mind if he started. I also wouldn't mind if spoon started at MLB either. Just not Worrilow. A day late and a dollar short. Funny thing is he played well too. Just still a fraction behind the play. 

If you extrapolate what Spoon did over the course of a whole game, that's about 10 - 12 tackles per game. Tyson Jackson and Grady did a pretty good job keeping the LBs clean too when they were in.