Food for thought

Jon Doe

All I have to say is this...our #2 and #3 WRs from last year are both unemployed right now. Hankerson couldn't make it past 1 preseason game with the Bills and Roddy hasn't signed anywhere. If you wonder why Matt didn't go through his progressions and forced it to Julio, just looked at those other options and the interior OL from 2015. Give it time. 

The end. 

I'm a Ryan fan, but your theory is flawed based on who you're talking about. Roddy is ancient in receiver years, and no team is going to go after him for that reason alone, and because he does not want to play for vet minimum, and he has stated that he wants to play for a contender. Hankerson stays injured and has probably played his last season as a result of it. Neither receiver is what they used to be. However, Ryan did have other options last year, but you can say play calling, lack of time to go through progressions and every other excuse that has been used, played a part in the passes always being forced to Julio. Ryan would probably tell you that he didn't have the best grasp of the offense yet, and that alone played a big part in stalled drives and turnovers. I also think that some of the coaches weren't up to doing there part with receivers and running backs and preparing them for Shanahan's playbook, but that's a theory too.

Matt Ryan will perform better this season because:

1.  The OL is better

2.  This is his second season in the new (and complicated) WCO

3.  He has better WR's and a surprisingly good rookie TE.

4.  He conducted a summer camp, like never before.  

I know that quite a few people will slam me for stating the obvious, but I don't care.  Our offense will be better this season and Ryan will perform well enough to compete for the NFC championship.  

32 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Matt Ryan will perform better this season because:

1.  The OL is better

2.  This is his second season in the new (and complicated) WCO

3.  He has better WR's and a surprisingly good rookie TE.

4.  He conducted a summer camp, like never before.  

I know that quite a few people will slam me for stating the obvious, but I don't care.  Our offense will be better this season and Ryan will perform well enough to compete for the NFC championship.  

I too think Ryan will be better this year for what you have numerically outlined here. However, the defense is going to have to be much better to get to the NFCCG, and they very well could be.

57 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I'm a Ryan fan, but your theory is flawed based on who you're talking about. Roddy is ancient in receiver years, and no team is going to go after him for that reason alone, and because he does not want to play for vet minimum, and he has stated that he wants to play for a contender. Hankerson stays injured and has probably played his last season as a result of it. Neither receiver is what they used to be. However, Ryan did have other options last year, but you can say play calling, lack of time to go through progressions and every other excuse that has been used, played a part in the passes always being forced to Julio. Ryan would probably tell you that he didn't have the best grasp of the offense yet, and that alone played a big part in stalled drives and turnovers. I also think that some of the coaches weren't up to doing there part with receivers and running backs and preparing them for Shanahan's playbook, but that's a theory too.

Good post.......And thank you.

3 hours ago, Jon Doe said:

All I have to say is this...our #2 and #3 WRs from last year are both unemployed right now. Hankerson couldn't make it past 1 preseason game with the Bills and Roddy hasn't signed anywhere. If you wonder why Matt didn't go through his progressions and forced it to Julio, just looked at those other options and the interior OL from 2015. Give it time. 

The end. 

I agree. Matt Ryan will have better targets this season. Thank you for this thread and I eagerly await your next one. 

1 hour ago, Colin_Pernett said:

Very good point. I do think Matt Ryan has to be better this year with the losses to the offense being Roddy and Hankerson and the additions being Sanu, Mack, and Hooper. Add that to being in the system an extra year and he'd have to be better. Hopefully he gets back to his pro bowl level of play

A. Rob looking like another weapon we didn't have. OP is right If Julio and Freeman were covered we had pretty much a super raw rookie and two-TD Tamme to throw to.

22 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

You're right that Roddy is ancient, and no team is going to go after him because of that...you know why? Because he can't be productive anymore. If he were productive, contenders would give him looks. 

Hankerson stays injured, yes. Is he injured now? No. Did his injuries cause his drops? No. He was cut from both teams because he's a replaceable piece. He's 27 years, so saying "isn't what he used to be" isn't valid here.

I do agree with you that Ryan didn't have a great grasp of the offense. I also think if he had a veteran center, less responsibility would be on him and he could have grasped it a bit quicker. 

21 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I too think Ryan will be better this year for what you have numerically outlined here. However, the defense is going to have to be much better to get to the NFCCG, and they very well could be.

I think the defense and running game have to carry Ryan. Ryan is capable of playing much better than last year, but he can't take over games consistently vs. great defenses.